Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been getting very tired of my FRPP lowering springs. I love the steering response, the handling and very minimal body roll. Yet living out in California (the land of potholes and unpaved roads) I feel like my car is going to shake to pieces every time I head down the 15fwy near ontario. Not to mention the number of other roads around here that I can't just drive around to get anywhere. What is a good setup of springs, dampers, sway bars and maybe even control arms that give me great handling like my FRPP's but still give a smooth ride? I've been told a setup of Eibach sportline springs, tokico dampers, and BMR sway bars would be a good setup for that, I would like to hear all of you guys give some suggestions.

And please, serious answers...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Right there with ya. Dallas is horrible about potholes, tall speedbumps, etc...
I think progressive springs are definite. Compare the rates with other springs and see which one has a softer lower rate. Are you running front and rear swaybars?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure where to look to find spring rates for different manufacter's. I have the pony package so I do have the rear sway bar but from what I've read, it's not as thick as the GT's rear sway bar.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have seen them listed on the manufacturer websites. The larger the swaybar, the stiffer the ride. Same goes for the springs. What rim size and tire combo do you have?

·
Registered
240 Posts
FYI, I have the Eibach Pro Kit, tokico shocks/struts ( blue ones ) and GT500 strut mounts. The ride was tollerable until I installed the rear upper and lower control arms. Now the car handles and hooks great but will jar every single bone in your body!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
+1 on the off roading the I-15 at scandia area. and i have yet to do sub. work on my car.i wonder if they are redoing it for the 4X4 guys?+ you cant hardly go under70mph open,or over 5 if at parking lot times.still 4Xing at 5.:headscratch:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen them listed on the manufacturer websites. The larger the swaybar, the stiffer the ride. Same goes for the springs. What rim size and tire combo do you have?
I have the stock 17"s, but I would like to one day get the 18" black bullitts one day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i lived in riverside and would travel to rancho cucamonga / ontario area to see friends. yep. pretty crappy roads.

even on my old lifted truck with fox & bilstein resevoirs.

in dallas, the roads suck too; i hope my incoming shipment of vogtland springs and koni shocks wont worsen my ride too badly

·
Banned
822 Posts
Lately I've been getting very tired of my FRPP lowering springs.... I've been told a setup of Eibach sportline springs, tokico dampers, and BMR sway bars would be a good setup for that, I would like to hear all of you guys give some suggestions.

And please, serious answers...
I think that the Eibach Sportline springs will ride even more harshly than the FRPP (Eibach Pro Kit); they're a shorter spring.
You didn't mention which dampers you have now, but if they're stock Mustang, I think that's a big part of the problem. Stock dampers won't do a good enough job of controlling the stiffer FRPP springs (let alone stock springs...).

If you don't want to sacrifice ride quality but need improved handling, install high quality dampers and use the stock springs, along with good, sticky tires. Give the car a little more negative camber in the front..
Any lowering springs will ride worse than stock.

Ask Sam Strano which dampers he recommends for use with stock springs, or your FRPP (Eibach), if you want to keep them.
You're probably not going to get a smoother ride with a different lowering spring, but better dampers should help. I think either of the Konis (I like my yellows), or possibly the Bilstein would be a huge improvement over the stock dampers, with any springs.
I've always had great luck with Koni dampers over the years, and I'm not a big fan of Tokico (but have some on my truck).

Sticking with the 17" wheels will help ride quality over the 18", but you'll probably have more sidewall flex.
Better, stickier tires should help with handling, but for smoother ride, go with the 17" wheels.
Stock anti-sway bars are really pretty good on the GT, and you probably don't need to change them...

·
Registered
227 Posts
+1 oldlugs
Having a young senior moment and forgot about that route. I may upgrade my shocks/struts, bushings, and add a rear swaybar and be done with it. 17s are safer if you have to hit a pothole and less likely to be damaged.

·
Registered
633 Posts
dang i cant imagine what it would feel like if the ride was any worse than my stock 06 gt.i run my stock 17 tires almost with no air to try to help but still fell every little thing on the road.but it does ride smooth on a perfect road to bad we dont have many here in alabama.i use to think i wanted to lower mine but if it was any worse than it is now i would not be able to drive it.what makes these car ride so ruff.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stiffer frame, tighter suspension (in general), lower profile tires, improved shocks and struts, and a live axle. I remember the Fox-Mustangs in the 80s being more comfortable on bad roads. I had a 97 anniversary Couger with IRS and it rode smooth compared to my 2003 Mustang.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hey man, i live in NYC and we are notorius for crappy roads yet i wouldnt sacrifice my handling for more ride comfort. I have Tokico D-Specs so i can soften things up a bit.

I think your harsh ride is most likely a result of the Springs, the FRPP kit is 1.5 lowered and have a hefty spring rate. You may want to look into Steeda ultra light springs, as they are the closest to stock. When i was trying to decide what spring to go with i was told that Steeda ultra light are not much stiffer than stock, so i went with the sport springs. Not sure of the spring rate #'s but im sure you can find them, Also, steeda is only 1" F / 1.25" R lowering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.