Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at suspension kits for my 08 GT as I will be installing a supercharger next month.

My spending limit is about $2000 and I was looking at the Edelbrock Touring kit, along with a few others. I really just want to most bang for my buck and a complete package that will give me the best improvements in handling since I live in Oregon and will be driving on some very twisty coastal roads. I am running 255,50,18s if it helps, on a 8.5in rim. (The premium wheels from Ford.) I like them and would prefer to stick with them if at all possible in my handling quest. The current tires are Perelli I believe but will have to get my wife to take some more pictures to be sure. (I am in Iraq)

The Edelbrock kit has a 2" drop so I am concerned about that, but do not know what else I would need. Does anyone have some good advise on what brand to go with and if not a kit then what components for a complete package?

PS- I have read the suspension stuff from Griggs and they are a bit out of my league money wise....also the various posts and still thinking about it all.
Any good recommendations?
Thanks!

G

·
I would recommend our Steeda Stage 3 Handling Pak. It lists for $1549.95. I could work a few additional pieces in there and keep it under $2000.00. I will also include some special pricing if you are deployed military (Over in Iraq). Let me know if I can help.

G

·
I would get a quote for the installation price for all that. Steeda has a nice kit, but calls for 12 hours intsallation. I wouldn't be too fast to drop your car 2" either with that Edelbrock kit, not only that but the Edelbrock kit doesn't come with struts/shocks which happens to be one of the crappier things about the stock mustang. I would take the steeda kit before that for sure. You honestly should address the tires. If you like them and want to stick with them that is your perogative. Take a read over this thread http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/262514-s-all-about-tires.html
You can't go wrong with the Steeda kit, I just think your limiting factor is going to be your tires. Extreme performance summer tires offer a lot of grip. I don't know what Pirelli tires are on there, but if they are NOT extreme performance summer then you will definately notice a difference from that change. All your components do need to work together though which is why a kit like Steeda's is nice.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If the car will be daily-driven in Oregon coastal weather, you need to think about wet-road performance. Ford probably picked a good all-around tire as a compromise. If you plan on doing either drag-strip or track racing you'll probably want a second set of tires and wheels anyway. Horses for courses.

If you pick a decent set of shock/struts and a good set of springs, you'll be well under $2,000, even including installation if you'd rather not do it yourself. The rest of that 'kit' stuff could very well be answering questions that haven't been asked. Run the basic damper-spring upgrade for a while and see if there are problems that need application of parts (that means dollar$) for a fix.

With the basics, most car-owners can reach 95% of what their vehicle will do; it takes a big motive and a big bunch of parts ($) to get the last few percent done. Closer you get to ultimate performance, the smaller the increments that can be achieved with a given amount of money.

Of course you may want the satisfaction of knowing you have "the best" under you, even if you never use it. A large part of the Mustang upgrade industry counts on that kind of thinking.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am looking at suspension kits for my 08 GT as I will be installing a supercharger next month.

My spending limit is about $2000 and I was looking at the Edelbrock Touring kit, along with a few others. I really just want to most bang for my buck and a complete package that will give me the best improvements in handling since I live in Oregon and will be driving on some very twisty coastal roads. I am running 255,50,18s if it helps, on a 8.5in rim. (The premium wheels from Ford.) I like them and would prefer to stick with them if at all possible in my handling quest. The current tires are Perelli I believe but will have to get my wife to take some more pictures to be sure. (I am in Iraq)

The Edelbrock kit has a 2" drop so I am concerned about that, but do not know what else I would need. Does anyone have some good advise on what brand to go with and if not a kit then what components for a complete package?

PS- I have read the suspension stuff from Griggs and they are a bit out of my league money wise....also the various posts and still thinking about it all.
Any good recommendations?
Thanks!
Sqidd put together a list of suspension mods that will put you equal to or better than the gt500 for around $500. Anything more than that is overkill unless you're autocrossing it. I'm trying to dig up the thread... (sqidd help me out! :D)

edit: nvm, found it!
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...gt500-suspension-parts-setup-conclusions.html

·
Registered
266 Posts
Twisty coastal roads ? That's what I built my car for. I went with Sqidds recommendations after trying the Koni STR.T struts and shocks and not liking them. Does it work ? Just ask the local Mustang drivers who can't keep up with me through the turns.

As for tires I use Bridgestone Potenza RE760's. They work great in the rain. Much better than the stock tires.

See my signature for components used.

Attachments

G

·
Twisty coastal roads ? That's what I built my car for. I went with Sqidds recommendations after trying the Koni STR.T struts and shocks and not liking them. Does it work ? Just ask the local Mustang drivers who can't keep up with me through the turns.

As for tires I use Bridgestone Potenza RE760's. They work great in the rain. Much better than the stock tires.

See my signature for components used.
Let me get this right, you had the Koni's on your car and you removed them for the GT500's? What was the difference? What didn't you like about the Koni's, and where are the Koni's now?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Koni's produced a bone jarring ride. Maybe they're not a good match with the Steeda Sport springs ?

The Koni's are sitting in storage gathering dust. Interested ? PM me with your best offer.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
The Edelbrock Touring kit is not bad. But it seems like that price is a little high for what you're getting. You don't have to spend Griggs money to have a car that handles decently on the street. We're not talking about a roadrace car here...

You could take a look at our control arm kit:
2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT V6 Adjustable Upper & Solid Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

adjustable panhard bar:
2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

Sway bar kit:
2005-2010 Ford Mustang Anti-Roll Sway Bar Kit 35101.320 - UPR Products

lowering springs:
2005-2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

^^ those are the parts in the Edelbrock kit, and ours have a retail price of $970. Then you get to subtract 10% off of the $970 (call it $870) using the AFM discount. Add in the fact that our parts have a lifetime guarantee and you're looking good on this deal!

The biggest part of the equation you're missing at this point is a good set of dampeners. The konis (STRT or yellow) are a popular choice. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Koni's produced a bone jarring ride. Maybe they're not a good match with the Steeda Sport springs ?

The Koni's are sitting in storage gathering dust. Interested ? PM me with your best offer.
Offer sent, let me know. My wife will take care of it in my absence...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts