Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing 295/30/20 rear tires and 245's in the front. The shop I went to said to get Toyo Proxes 4's but I haven't seen anything on the forums. What are you guys running on your car's and would you recommend them to your friends?

·
Registered
748 Posts
R-S3, NT05, AD08, StarSpec<~take your pick.

If you want just grip nothing else, Hoosiers.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome replies, I am researching these now. Hope to have everything installed before march!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am purchasing 295/30/20 rear tires and 245's in the front. The shop I went to said to get Toyo Proxes 4's but I haven't seen anything on the forums. What are you guys running on your car's and would you recommend them to your friends?
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The best street tire money can buy

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont think anyone can accurately answer this question. The reason being is every tire is better for a certain situation. Is this tire for summer street driving only? All season driving? Track Driving? Drag racing? To say one tire is the best for grip is impossible. Really comes down to trial an error for what you will be running and what works for you. There are a lot of great tire companies out there producing a bunch of superb tires to fit your needs. Really just comes down to what you will be doing with the tire and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If it's cornering grip you want, you're not looking at nearly enough front tire compared to those rears. Even the GT500's never had more than 30 mm difference in rear vs front, and you're looking at 50 . . .

Like Kona11 has asked, you need to provide more information about the kind(s) of use your car is REALISTICALLY going to see. Be honest. No daydreams, please.

Norm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think anyone can accurately answer this question. The reason being is every tire is better for a certain situation. Is this tire for summer street driving only? All season driving? Track Driving? Drag racing? To say one tire is the best for grip is impossible. Really comes down to trial an error for what you will be running and what works for you. There are a lot of great tire companies out there producing a bunch of superb tires to fit your needs. Really just comes down to what you will be doing with the tire and how much you want to spend.
I knew I was missing something, and I'm glad you pointed that out! I will be doing a lot of daily driving, (freeways and city streets) but on weekends I plan on taking the car to the track or taking the scenic (twisty) way up to the top of the mountain. I guess what I'm looking for is a tire that will hook up and go from a dig, and a tire that will handle a corner well too!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I've been using the stock for my car, the Cooper RS3, 275's all around. Probably a good compromise in what ever you do. Enough tire for me.
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
I knew I was missing something, and I'm glad you pointed that out! I will be doing a lot of daily driving, (freeways and city streets) but on weekends I plan on taking the car to the track or taking the scenic (twisty) way up to the top of the mountain. I guess what I'm looking for is a tire that will hook up and go from a dig, and a tire that will handle a corner well too!
If you want to grip in the corners, you want your front and rear tires to be the same size. If you go with wider tires in the rear, you car will just under-steer to all hell. A high-quality summer-only high-performance tires will get you the handling in the corners you want.

If you want to be a drag racer, or to look like a drage racer, go with the larger rears and get street legal drag radials.

Trying to combine those two focuses means you're going to do neither very well.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
If you want to grip in the corners, you want your front and rear tires to be the same size. If you go with wider tires in the rear, you car will just under-steer to all hell. A high-quality summer-only high-performance tires will get you the handling in the corners you want.

If you want to be a drag racer, or to look like a drage racer, go with the larger rears and get street legal drag radials.

Trying to combine those two focuses means you're going to do neither very well.
Why not try the staggered setup they use on the Boss? From what I've read it's one outstanding track car, even with the fatter rears.

As for sticky summer performance tires, take a look here for product reviews and comparisons:

Hankook Tires Available at Tire Rack&

·
Registered
235 Posts
Toyo R888 for the ultimate grip and handling I$$$ and short life span)

Bridgestone RE-11.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Why not try the staggered setup they use on the Boss? From what I've read it's one outstanding track car, even with the fatter rears.
Unless OP copies all or at least most of the rest of the Boss's mechanical goodies, including engine output, axle gearing, springs/shocks/struts/sta-bars, bushings, etc., he'll understeer more than the Boss, and more than his car does with same size tires.

I'm not saying that decent handling can't be had from a staggered setup, but in order to do so you're crutching a second-rate tire situation with a less stable suspension arrangement and hoping that they balance each other out over the range of your driving. Trying to balance one effect that's trying to understeer harder as the lateral g's build with oversteerish chassis tuning is fighting with yourself. Not harmonious. Potentially tricky, think snap-oversteer or what the circle track guys call "tight-loose".

Really, for 400-ish HP and down in a 54% front-heavy car, start with same-size tires all around and tune the suspension around that. North of 500 HP and a little stagger starts to make sense. 444 HP should not need 30 mm worth of tire stagger unless you're specifically trying to protect people who have no business driving such a car at all, way up there anywhere near its limits.

Norm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like the others have said, a square set-up will be best for cornering over a staggered set-up.

I have been running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and love them. Great grip for a street tire and a long tread life. Have been supremely happy with them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like the others have said, a square set-up will be best for cornering over a staggered set-up.

I have been running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and love them. Great grip for a street tire and a long tread life. Have been supremely happy with them.
agreed. I ran the Super Sports on my old mustang and there was no comparison to the stockers. As soon as i'm ready to pull the trigger on some new wheels, I'll be grabbing the Michelins again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Even though I haven't tried them yet, the Super Sports are going on my ride in the spring. Have not seen any negative comments about them anywhere, on the web, or in mags. There's a reason why they're on all the new Ferraris, Merc SLS, etc..

G

·
0 Posts
Even though I haven't tried them yet, the Super Sports are going on my ride in the spring. Have not seen any negative comments about them anywhere, on the web, or in mags. There's a reason why they're on all the new Ferraris, Merc SLS, etc..
By far my favorite tires, just an FYI the Mercedes SLS most often is shipped with Continental SportContact 5p tires. Every SLS that came through my dealer was equipped with Conti's. I like the Michelins better though(though like a hypocrite I have Conti Extreme DW tires on my car now, the SS's were not available at the time).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts