Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at different pipes and true duals seem like the best option, im interested in the pypes stainless cat backs. but for the fact there cat forward tubes are not also stainless. bummer. anyone make a full stainless and which is best an X or H design? like to get a decent boost in hp. not loose torque. already have a cai and diablo tune. planning to do a gear/diff swap as well. maybe make these two mods at the same time and get it dyno tuned afterwards. anyone have a simmilar setup that can report dyno tuned gains?
thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
looking at different pipes and true duals seem like the best option, im interested in the pypes stainless cat backs. but for the fact there cat forward tubes are not also stainless. bummer. anyone make a full stainless and which is best an X or H design? like to get a decent boost in hp. not loose torque. already have a cai and diablo tune. planning to do a gear/diff swap as well. maybe make these two mods at the same time and get it dyno tuned afterwards. anyone have a simmilar setup that can report dyno tuned gains?
thanks, Andy
If you're looking for a crossover, you're not looking to get true duals. But if you do go with a crossover, I think H pipes sound the best on sixers..you probably have to have an exhaust shop custom fab. one for you because I don't think there is a direct bolt on for the 3.8's..I don't think you'll notice much of a power increase either, but as long as you keep it under 2.5", you shouldn't lose much torque.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Honestly...

Your car won't gain horses with dual exhaust. The only thing you'll feel is the ride has become "weightless" because your car can finally breathe.

Don't go bigger than 2.5" in the piping, you'll end up losing torque. 2.25" is ideal, 2.5" is okay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Honestly...

Your car won't gain horses with dual exhaust. The only thing you'll feel is the ride has become "weightless" because your car can finally breathe.

Don't go bigger than 2.5" in the piping, you'll end up losing torque. 2.25" is ideal, 2.5" is okay.
I agree. I'm sure the actual dyno gains from changing to a true dual would be very minimal, but it does feel like it works less to do the same things it used to. Depending on how you want it to sound is how you should base the style of the exhaust and the mufflers. There are mufflers that will outflow others but unless you will be putting forced induction on it soon I would just go for what you think sounds good. I have true duals with magnaflows, and I love the sound. Some people like the way crossover pipes sound better, but n/a I'm not sure you could say one is better than another for horsepower.
One thing is the bigger and longer the tips you put on the deeper the sound will be, it gives the sound waves more area to resonate in, it's amazing how much 1/2" bigger diameter tips will change the sound.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Some people have seen 15-20 hp gains when doing a complete dual exhaust. This is long-tubes, mid-pipe, and mufflers but that is still a considerable gain. Your gains might not be that high but you certainly do gain hp if you do the exhaust set-up the correct way, not just throw a couple of mufflers onto the car and expect miracles.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah...

There is a trick to true duals, I'm planning on creating a new setup soon.

I'm getting tired of it already.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
All I did was use the Steeda adapter mid-pipe (true-dual) and a Summit cat back for a 99-04 GT. It was cheap and I really like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.