Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GT with 155,000 miles. It has black paint with a lot of imperfections. The car was crashed then rebuilt and repainted by previous owner. He did a HORRIBLE job! Theres overspray, craters, bugs on the front of bumper that got sprayed over!!! And on top of that, the paint is fading, there are scratches, etc. I need to know the best wax, clay bar, and polish out there. I use turtle wax original and it works great! Also, if I use a polish, do I need a buffer? I have one, I just hate using it. And what kind of spray do you use with a clay bar? Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I run a detailing business on the side so I've got a bit of experience in this field. First off I'd say stay away from Turtle Wax products. They are the low end of the spectrum when it comes to detailing. There is no best product for detailing but there are definitely those that do the job better than others.

For a claybar, you should be fine with just the Meguiar's claybar kit from a local Advance Auto or AutoZone.

As for polish, will you be using a buffer or doing this by hand? I would highly recommend getting a buffer as it will save you a lot of time and energy. I can't imagine doing an entire car by hand. The Porter Cable 7424XP buffer can be had for slightly over $100. If you end up getting that I'd recommend picking up some 5-inch foam pads. Lake County is a good brand for pads. You'll want to use two polishes if you have never polished this car before. The first would be a compound which is more aggressive (use with a cutting pad) and the second would be a finishing polish (with a polishing or finishing pad).

As far as wax goes, I've tested quite a few and my current favorite (which I've been using for about a year now) is Blackfire Wet Diamond. It's synthetic so it lasts quite a few months and it looks absolutely amazing!

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Here's what my car looks like after using Blackfire:

·
Registered
943 Posts
For a claybar, you should be fine with just the Meguiar's claybar kit from a local Advance Auto or AutoZone.
I agree I use this clay bar kit and it works really well, and it comes with the spray to use with it. Also for you to get any real results you’re going to have to use the buffer since it sounds like the paint is in pretty bad shape. It will be worth it though! :smoke: I also use Lucus Spray Wax it works really well and doesn’t leave strikes you can also use it on pretty much everything!

Buy Lucas Oil Products Slick Mist Speed Wax (24 oz.) 10160 at Advance Auto Parts___

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did my car with the Mother's clay bar and then hit it with the Maguire's TechWax. Did it all by hand and it took about 4 hours to do both. The paint was pretty dull, and it had many surface scratches and dings and scrapes. And the combo of the clay bar and the wax resulted in smooth as glass paint. I was very impressed with the final product. Im a big fan of Maguires products as well as doing it by hand. I like the control i have over what i am doing. Just my .02 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the Mother's claybar kit. I also need a list of the order to do these things in. And should I wax my car after using the clay bar? And I own a buffer.
I need the order for wash, wax, polish, claybar, etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It should be wash, claybar, polish, wax. If you polish after waxing you'll just remove all the wax.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As for car wash my car always comes out the same.. It can be 2dollar rain x or a expensive brand and it looks the same when I'm done.. The only difference I noticed was the suds. Cheap stuff is weaker so you have to add more shampoo to the bucket. Clay bars also seem to do the same for me.. As for wax everyone will have different thoughts on it. I hear the new Turtle wax Ice liquid is really good.. TW Has come a really long way in the past few years.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys! I went to the locla autozone and I was told waxing after using a claybar is useless because claybar is a wax. is this true?

·
Registered
943 Posts
When you clay bar you use a spray wax so essentially you are waxing your car but I only clay bar my car once when I get it out for the summer and once when I put it away for the winter.

-clean your car with dish soap to remove current wax
-make sure the car is still wet and spray the car one panel at a time with the spray wax while taking the bar of clay and slightly rub it on the paint
(do not push hard or hardly at all)
-make sure to keep it wet with spray wax (comes in kit)
-then use a microfiber rag and whip off the wax (detailer)
-do this one panel at a time and it works really well (makes the paint clean and smooth)

Also I use a spray wax every other time I wash my car just while I'm drying it to make sure I don’t get water spots. It takes longer to clay bar then to just spray some spray wax on and whip it off.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the claybar on Wednesday and it worked well, but it doesn't make my car as shiny as turtle wax does. Im not disappointed with it at all, I just had expected a little more out of it. I'll be using turtle wax here pretty soon before I head off to college.

·
Registered
164 Posts
old post but i will add something to it. I usually wash the car first with car specific soap, then claybar it one section at at time, then wash again to get the crap off of it and hit it with a good quality wax, maguires or mothers are good. The claybar is not a wax, it is clay, two different compunds. Dont expect a good finish if you just clabar it and thats all. It needs to be waxed after the clabar. Just FYI, but i am sure you have figured out the best procedure that works for you!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have just picked up 88 LX 5.0 with some mods. Pulleys, headers, new Magna flow exhaust, 355's, and cold air intake. What else can I do to get more power with out messing with it passing CA smog???

Sent from my MB886 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I have just picked up 88 LX 5.0 with some mods. Pulleys, headers, new Magna flow exhaust, 355's, and cold air intake. What else can I do to get more power with out messing with it passing CA smog???

Sent from my MB886 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Unfortunately there's not much you can do here without pissing off our Smog Nazi's. How much do you want to spend? There are these things called superchargers, I hear people are getting lots of power by installing them on their cars..... But they do get a little pricey. Intake, heads, cams; lot's of n/a power gains to be had there. Not sure what to tell you on the smog thing; I've been told that with certain items like cams that aren't detectable on a visual inspection that the trick to passing smog is all in the tune. There are many shops here in CA that specialize in building Mustangs, call one or two of them and get their input on this; they should be able to tell you concisely what parts you can and can't use while maintaining emissions compliance, and how to get around compliancy issues should any arise.

Figure out your goals for the car; how much power, 1/4 mile time, how you want it to handle, etc. Then figure out your budget. Make a plan and then stick to it. And post in the appropriate section for your vehicle; those guys can help you better than us here in the 1996-2004 section.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts