Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 GT and was wondering on the best way to take it to 450 - 500 hp range. i dont put many miles on the car at all so im not too worried about fuel consumption (cant really be that worried when you want that kinda power anyway) currently there are no mods to the engine but i have 3.73's a Diablo chip, O/R H-pipe. would it be safer for me to swap the engine with something a little bit bigger? or would rebuilding with high performance internals be enough to hold that much power? any reccomendations..... money isnt that much of a concern because this project is going to take time but i want a good base and if that means save up for a crate engine then so be it, id like to get s supercharger and probably not Nitrous any info would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
dO WHAT i DID.........lol!!

I am at 451 hp/430 tq........New Alum. Cobra/truck (thicker cyl. walls) J&E Pistons, Manley Rods, etc........50lb injectors (600$)
Stage 2 ported heads, Intake (1,200$), Plenum (trick flow), 75mm TB, MSD ignition kit (600$), 3:73's, Griffon alum. radiator, Changed fuel system to Return style with Weldon Pump (must purchase 86-95 Fox body Sumped Gas tank), Vortech SC & Aftercooler, plus tons more. Too much to list........But basically if you want 450-500 hp your gonna have to spend approx. $15,000+........Even with Nitrous........
There are a lot of little things and changes that have to be upgraded that end up eating $$$$$$....
I am now having to get a Tremec TKO600 & Axels cause the stocj T45 tranny won't handle my HP much longer...so there's another $8,000 with labor & parts..........

But yes, I would recommend getting a "New" block (aluminum) and building that up....approx...3,500$ with internals).
Replace all stock parts (plenum, TB, intake, etc...) with aftermarket...
You will be using a lot of fuel too...I drive 60 miles total a day to and from work........I use a 1/2 tank of gas everyday!!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You can get a build short block here:http://www.dssracing.com/ Then add stage 2 heads from foxlake with cams and upgraded springs. After all that you should have a solid 300 rwhp N/A. Then its just your choice of power adder, my favorite for a mod motor is the KB...http://www.kennebell.net/ I could see spending $15k for all the goodies when its all tuned.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
any chance of you selling current ride and buying an 03/04 Cobra?
Or, buying my 96? - probably cheaper in the long run either way.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You are going to need forged internals (atleast pistons and rods), a PI intake and PI cams, and a supercharger with about 12-15 psi of boost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd definitely go for a cobra swap if possible, or just buy a cobra. Those are amazing engines, and if I could afford one, I'd have it. My only problem with pumping an extra 7 psi is that it mihgt hurt the engine life a bit.

·
0 Posts
Built block with forged internals, some type of power adder (pick your poison), built rear to handle the horsepower, and fuel system to handle the horsepower.
:eyepoppin

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'd leave dss alone and go with www.modularpowerhouse.com and or vt engines.

you will be looking at about 25k for a built motor, tranny, built rear, clutch, and blower.

you'd get somewhere about 400 hp with a blower and intercooler w/pi heads and intake. for 450 to 500 you'd have to get forged internals. it's cheaper to get the short block as a package instead of pulling your old motor and having it preped for forged internals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
WS6isKing said:
I'd definitely go for a cobra swap if possible, or just buy a cobra. Those are amazing engines, and if I could afford one, I'd have it. My only problem with pumping an extra 7 psi is that it mihgt hurt the engine life a bit.
Hah, I found your sig humorous.

·
Registered
701 Posts
my1ststang98gt,

Seriousely, if the 450 to 500 HP is your goal, your cheapest/most powerful option is the used '03 cobra motor.
They come stock wth the forged crank, conn rods (Eagle H beam) and pistons. Make sure you also get the wiring harnes and the computer.
I never calculated it, but I think you should be able to reach your goals for just around $10K; but it requirs some custom maufacturing!
If you're lucky you might be able to get a motor and tranny rom a junk yard. That would mean that you don't have to worry about clutch or tranny being strong enough. A strong, rebuilt, 8.8" rear end is fine. Get a custom alumium drive shaft and you should be fine.
I had to mention the cobra again, because you don't want to spend $20+K for such a project.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
engineer76 said:
my1ststang98gt,

Seriousely, if the 450 to 500 HP is your goal, your cheapest/most powerful option is the used '03 cobra motor.
They come stock wth the forged crank, conn rods (Eagle H beam) and pistons. Make sure you also get the wiring harnes and the computer.
I never calculated it, but I think you should be able to reach your goals for just around $10K; but it requirs some custom maufacturing!
If you're lucky you might be able to get a motor and tranny rom a junk yard. That would mean that you don't have to worry about clutch or tranny being strong enough. A strong, rebuilt, 8.8" rear end is fine. Get a custom alumium drive shaft and you should be fine.
I had to mention the cobra again, because you don't want to spend $20+K for such a project.
By the time its all said and done he couls just sell his car and buy a 03-04 Cobra. Assuming he owns his outright. Those Cobra's drivetrains are super bad ass though!

·
Registered
701 Posts
dollarbill said:
By the time its all said and done he couls just sell his car and buy a 03-04 Cobra. Assuming he owns his outright. Those Cobra's drivetrains are super bad ass though!
Very nice input dollarbill!

You are totally right, they are tough PLUS you get the IRS.
Not everybody likes them, I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if money isnt to much of an option go with something really custom like a twin turbo set up or a bigger blower w/ intercooler do something custom

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
You can get a fully assembled (wire harness, Tremec 5 spd. tranny, exhaust, etc....keys)
2000 Cobra Engine+Tranny for $6,000 At Brothers Performance.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.