Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to let everyone know what I found out getting the best deal on a mustang. Go to zag.com and they have a link to build your dream car. It doesn't matter if you are building it or not, just find one with all the options you want and then it will find a dealer in you area that will honer the price they have negotiated. I was able to find a dealer in Kansas City that would give me a Black GT with Brembo, HID, 401A, comfort package, electronic package and appearance add-ons for $1500 under invoice with no hassle. It is the way I will buy all my future cars. I'm not trying to be a Ad for them, but it was the easiest way to buy this car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i just want to let everyone know what I found out getting the best deal on a mustang. Go to zag.com and they have a link to build your dream car. It doesn't matter if you are building it or not, just find one with all the options you want and then it will find a dealer in you area that will honer the price they have negotiated. I was able to find a dealer in Kansas City that would give me a Black GT with Brembo, HID, 401A, comfort package, electronic package and appearance add-ons for $1500 under invoice with no hassle. It is the way I will buy all my future cars. I'm not trying to be a Ad for them, but it was the easiest way to buy this car.
First post? Smells like spam. Although the fact that you know the options packages gives you some credibility, and at the very least indicates you're a smart spammer. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have to be a member of one of the organizations listed. A lot of people use USAA's car buying service, which is a partnership with Zag. That's what I used and it was really easy, I knew the total amount and went to the dealership with a check.

·
Registered
129 Posts
First post? Smells like spam. Although the fact that you know the options packages gives you some credibility, and at the very least indicates you're a smart spammer. :)
It's legit. There's a link for any regular Joe to use on Bank of America's car loan page. I've used the same thing, and the site gave me 3 dealers in the area that would honor the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am definitly not a spammer, I'm a UNIX system Administrator for a company in KC. Here is the link that does not require you to be a member of the zag.com site

Drive Your Dream | Car Buying Home Page

I just wanted to pass on the info. I read a lot of the threads about what people payed for the car and actually ran across this info in another post deep down about 5 pages and just that it was good info after I checked into it. That all. I know that I'm glad i was luck to find it, just wanted to help anyone else looking.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
This only works with participating dealers, not all dealers in your area. Plus it will show you a price the dealer will sell the car for and it is not in their stock. If it list four dealer you will have four different people hounding you to buy a car from them.
I tried it when I was looking who to order from and where I ordered mine from was not a member , but I also x-planed the car...
This is not spam but really close the only thing missing is the label on the can....

·
Registered
129 Posts
This only works with participating dealers, not all dealers in your area. Plus it will show you a price the dealer will sell the car for and it is not in their stock. If it list four dealer you will have four different people hounding you to buy a car from them.
I tried it when I was looking who to order from and where I ordered mine from was not a member , but I also x-planed the car...
This is not spam but really close the only thing missing is the label on the can....

This sounds like sour grapes. How can a list of four dealers willing to honor a price (Under invoice, before incentives) to order the EXACT car you want, be a bad thing? You have dealers calling you? So what!

Say: "Sorry, already bought through a competitor."

That'll be the last you hear from them. Such an inconvenience, I know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Your right about the spam. I joined in Oct. 2010 and waited till now to spring my trap. Whatever people I was just trying to help. Here is me building the car I want and then I can select just ONE dealership to contact me about the deal. I got a call back from the dealer and I could either order one or find a suitable option on the lot. If you decide not to use it I don't care. Really.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
This sounds like sour grapes. How can a list of four dealers willing to honor a price (Under invoice, before incentives) to order the EXACT car you want, be a bad thing? You have dealers calling you? So what!

Is it confirmed that the 1500 under invoice is before rebate? Because if not (and you're just getting invoice - 1500 rebate) then that's the deal I got offered by two different dealerships essentially immediately after I walked in off the street.

If it is before incentives then that's a great deal, and definitely one I'll be looking into when I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not rocket science here. You can ALWAYS beat any car buying service if you know what your doing. Those services get a referral fee from what would otherwise come off your price. Too bad you missed out on the 750 coupon that would have got you a minimum of 2250 below invoice. Referral services are car buying help for dummies. I wouldn't advertise that you needed them. I got mine for <$2250 below!! It amazes me how forum members continue to show their lack of buying knowledge despite the many tips available in these threads. Sorry some of you guys just don't get it, maybe never will. Dealing direct saves money with cars, hotels, air travel, everything? :nono:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I tried the link and got the following: This vehicle does not have a discounted price.
I bought my son's 2010 V6 through Costco. The price was invoice plus $300 minus rebates which, at the time, amounted to $2000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do know that it is based on the dealers in your area. I supplied a screen shot in an earlier post of the deal in KC.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I haven't posted here in years but now that I'm about to be back in the seat of a mustang, I thought I'd come poke around.

I already tried the USAA service and I was able to negotiate a better deal with 2 different dealerships than that USAA service by a massive margin.

I got 2 dealerships to go $3200 and $3150 below invoice for the configuration I'm after.

Over email no less. Never had to pick up the phone once and both places are ready to place the order.

If you play your cards right, anyone can get a good price. You just have to know the typical tricks the dealers will try and you have to be aware of the consumer tricks to counter those.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not rocket science here. You can ALWAYS beat any car buying service if you know what your doing. Those services get a referral fee from what would otherwise come off your price. Too bad you missed out on the 750 coupon that would have got you a minimum of 2250 below invoice. Referral services are car buying help for dummies. I wouldn't advertise that you needed them. I got mine for <$2250 below!! It amazes me how forum members continue to show their lack of buying knowledge despite the many tips available in these threads. Sorry some of you guys just don't get it, maybe never will. Dealing direct saves money with cars, hotels, air travel, everything? :nono:
You're kind of an ass, aren't you?

And you're not even really right. According to his post he (apparently) got the car for invoice minus rebates. So considering A LOT of dealerships won't let you touch the holdback, he probably couldn't have beaten the car buying service that you say you CAN ALWAYS BEAT. Sure, he could have gotten the coupon, but that has nothing to do with the car buying service.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

For those that don't know... so called invoice is not the price on the window sticker...

Sour grapes... yes, the dealers claimed to have the car in stock... I know they didn’t, it wasn’t posted on their website, it wasn’t posted on the Ford web-site and it sure in the hell wasn’t on the lot when I drove down there and asked to see it… the salesman told me they never had one like that… It is just a marketing tool to get you in the door and try to sell you something off of the lot!

I went to a dealer that doesn’t participate in a shell and pea game…

It is the internet…. What do you expect? All truths, no lies, BS or scams…

Fastredponycar; I think he is calling sticker, invoice... if not that is a heck of deal… maybe he got lessons from 5oh
I could be wrong…

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's another approach that worked for me, when I was ready to order a 5.0 coupe last March. I figured out the options I wanted from the order guide postings on various Mustang forums. Then I sent the exact configuration in an email to the Internet sales departments of all Ford dealers within 100 miles of where I live (Phoenix) - about 20 dealers. I asked for their price, doc fee, and deposit. I got a reasonable answer from about half of them - the rest just wanted to sell me a 2010 off the lot!

I put the info in a spreadsheet, and added the local sales tax (varies by city and county). I also sent the same request to Price Ford (Mark Ostroot) in WA state. Mark had the best price, and I could select a dealer for direct courtesy delivery from Ford (minimizing the sales tax). I had no problems with the order or delivery, and was able to take advantage of an additional $750 personal discount card that I received from Ford during the process.

The only downside for me was the flood of email I kept getting from all the local Ford dealers!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here's another approach that worked for me, when I was ready to order a 5.0 coupe last March. I figured out the options I wanted from the order guide postings on various Mustang forums. Then I sent the exact configuration in an email to the Internet sales departments of all Ford dealers within 100 miles of where I live (Phoenix) - about 20 dealers. I asked for their price, doc fee, and deposit. I got a reasonable answer from about half of them - the rest just wanted to sell me a 2010 off the lot!

I put the info in a spreadsheet, and added the local sales tax (varies by city and county). I also sent the same request to Price Ford (Mark Ostroot) in WA state. Mark had the best price, and I could select a dealer for direct courtesy delivery from Ford (minimizing the sales tax). I had no problems with the order or delivery, and was able to take advantage of an additional $750 personal discount card that I received from Ford during the process.

The only downside for me was the flood of email I kept getting from all the local Ford dealers!
this was similar to what I did. I used edmunds' true market value pricing system and then sent a price estimate request to about 15 dealers. I figure this way, they know that I'm seeing what customers are ACTUALLY paying which is lower than MSRP obviously and then I'd just go from there.

Most of them as you said, just wanted to sell me something they already had or was similar to what I had spec'd out.

A few gave great estimates but only a couple were really giving me aggressive pricing.

My best offer on a 2012 GT premium w/3.73's, brembos, comfort package and destination/delivery is $34,581. He said there'd be hopefully a couple grand in incentives when the car is built so with any luck, I can walk away in 8 to 10 weeks with the car at around $33K or lower which is about $3500 less than what edmunds said true market value was.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
yes, the dealers claimed to have the car in stock... I know they didn’t, it wasn’t posted on their website, it wasn’t posted on the Ford web-site and it sure in the hell wasn’t on the lot when I drove down there and asked to see it… the salesman told me they never had one like that… It is just a marketing tool to get you in the door and try to sell you something off of the lot!
Off topic and I am not doubting your story one bit, but the Ford and dealer websites often don't show all the cars. And dealers usually have cars that aren't in public access areas. I know because I was about to buy our Performance Package car in New Mexico because no dealer in Arizona had one (according to the internet AND visits to local dealers). Then I met someone who worked at a dealer and he said he would check for me. He found 3 within 15 miles of me. And he works for the same dealer that had checked for me on-line and said the closest one was the one I had found in New Mexico. I asked him about that and he said there are several ways to search. The other guy must have only used one (the wrong way).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used zag.com through USAA and got my $29k sticker car for $27k and that was less then x-plan price and it "supposedly" invoiced at $26k.

Before I used that service; I went to multiple dealers attempting to get any 2011 base model car for around $26k and no dice. $29k and up is all they would deal. Never even $28k.

I tried and couldn't get any dealer to sell me any car for anywhere near "invoice". I told them all the price I was willing to pay and they'd say "sorry" and walk me to the door. Never a call back once from any of them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried and couldn't get any dealer to sell me any car for anywhere near "invoice". I told them all the price I was willing to pay and they'd say "sorry" and walk me to the door. Never a call back once from any of them.
In the OKC metro area, I know you can deal at invoice or below. Not everywhere, but some definitely will.

One key point you may have missed - don't deal with the sales force that meets you in the lot. Call the dealership first, ask to speak to the Sales Mgr and get his/her name. Then when you are mugged in the lot as you arrive, just tell them that you're here to talk to "Sam".

When there's no sales commission involved, there's simply more room to come down. That Sales Mgr is (or should be) interested in holdback and units moved. Also, be aware that the longer the car sits on the lot, the more the dealer's holdback degrades...that's their incentive for quick sale. If you're ordering, they can expect/predict full holdback.

If you're buying off the lot, going in the last week of the month can help, too. Next month, the holdback award to the dealer will be lower.

And for those who don't know, never go in without a list of invoice prices for the models/options you are interested in. Without that, you're a sitting duck...and that information is just too easy to get. A little homework can save thousands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.