Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys turn off the traction control when you race your cars? On the street? On the track? I'm also interested in your launch techniques like,what RPMs you launch at, and feathering verrsus dumping the clutch. I'm coming from an AWD STI and launching it was a blast and earned me many kills!! No factory control, more of a adjustable differential. Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
More info please. Different set-ups require different techniques. Stock or wider tires rear require different launches. Stock or modified clutch and suspension? I watched 11/12 GTs at Mustang Week Darlington Drags out-ET GT500s. Why? Traction, reaction time, and driving skills(mostly shifting). Drag racing 101.
With my auto and 285 rears I use TC off and floor it.With more HP and wider tires I will modify my launch. Practice in a safe place!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ My car is new and I'm still breaking it in. Its the six speed manual and stock. I will plan mods as I go. After the break in I will be practicing out on some country road. I was seeing what some of you guys had to say about it. Why do you turn off the traction control? Does it slow you down off the line? I'm obviously looking ahead a little. I'm sure I'll figure out what feels faster to me as I become more familiar with the car, but I like to hear how other guys do it and then try it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think turning off TC is going to be best once you get use to it. TC cuts power when you get wheel spin.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Never dump the clutch. Thats how to do a burnout, not accelerate.

For my car: I hover at about 3500 RPM via throttle pumping and as the light goes I keep the revs at 3000 RPM until the clutch is fully engaged.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If your tires are spinning at launch, you are losing time. A bit of tire spin when you get into second gear is fine because you are keeping your RPMs up and getting a bit of launch into your power band.

TC off. Most definitely. Just be sure to turn it back on if you are traveling down a gravel road going more than 60MPH. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Never dump the clutch. Thats how to do a burnout, not accelerate.

For my car: I hover at about 3500 RPM via throttle pumping and as the light goes I keep the revs at 3000 RPM until the clutch is fully engaged.

The OP's car is a BBP GT w/ 3.73's, He will be able to launch in 1st completely differently than a 3.7 w/ 3.31's.

OP, it will not take long for you to figure out what you can and cannot do to get this car to launch, the one big difference you will notice coming from AWD is a reduced launch RPM, and being able to let the clutch slip out just enough for weight to transfer to the rear, which you may or may not feel like you are dumping it. TC on , Sport Mode, TC off will not make that big of a difference, compared to the correct RPM and proper slippage. Practice a few times and report back if you have any issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I can see that this is a helpful community of mustang drivers. I'll update soon after I can get some practice time in. :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.