Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a Mustang, but I only have around $7000 to spend so I think it's going to have to be a 'tang between the years '96 and '00. What year do you think is best and why? Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... Well you know I suppose I could get anything from '94 on up to '00. I dunno... what do you guys think? Should I not go all the way back to '94 or would that be perfectly fine?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
For 7 grand you'll be driving a v-6 and you want one thats a 99 -04 . you may be looking for a little while but you should be able to find one .

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got my 00 v6 for 7.5 a year and a half ago and it had 56k miles on it so I'd say 99 or 2000

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what are the reasons for getting one in the '99-'04 range rather than the earlier models?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a v6 with 100000 miles on it for 4600 so you should be able to get a 99 2000 or maybe even a 2001 with 7 grand. i bought a 98 and it runs fine, i would recommend the 98 but its your choice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 99-04 had a hp boost and someother things done to them along with another look that I personally like better plus a newer car will probably last longer unless it has been run to death.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would someone tell me the differences between just the reg Mustangs, the GTs, and the Cobras? I also heard about "Saleen" -- Is that also a model? If so, how is it different?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
sean_micken said:
So what are the reasons for getting one in the '99-'04 range rather than the earlier models?
They have 25% more hp, they are pretty much bulletproof, they have 0-balance cranks, and the engines are better able to handle any kind of power adder you can throw at them.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
sean_micken said:
Would someone tell me the differences between just the reg Mustangs, the GTs, and the Cobras? I also heard about "Saleen" -- Is that also a model? If so, how is it different?
mainly body and engine differences, too many to mention.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The heads and intake are also different and more improved . Their also a pita to port . dont ask me how I know . Not really hard just ALOT of ports .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where are you guys finding '00+ for 7 grand? In MI '94's are selling for 7+. The '00's are around 10 grand... I look at alot of "wheeler dealer" type mags. and there's even alot of '94's going for 10 grand. Don't buy from a dealer either... try to find someone you can trust.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
lilmiss_stang94 said:
Where are you guys finding '00+ for 7 grand? In MI '94's are selling for 7+. The '00's are around 10 grand... I look at alot of "wheeler dealer" type mags. and there's even alot of '94's going for 10 grand. Don't buy from a dealer either... try to find someone you can trust.
You can find them for less than $6,000 around here . . .

94-98s go for 2-3000

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 00 V6 sat on the lot for two months before I found it in Feb of this year. It had 78,000 on it and some really ugly Sears rims and tires on it. I only paid 6500 for mine and its been a great car. I guess Kentucky isnt really a big mustang state because I have seen a 96 Gt for sale for 7.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How does a 96 cobra stack against the newer GTs? I have seen some cobras for sale around here and was wondering if a 96 (or so) cobra would be better than a 01-04 gt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off, it's important to figure out which body style you like best. If you plan on keeping your Stang for a while, you want the one that's most visually appealing to you. I would never buy the 92-98, because I wasn't too impressed with the body style, but it's a stang, so I respect the owners of these rides.

Second, you mentioned Saleen. If you decide on Saleen, because of your funding, you will have to go older than 98. People don't let go of these LIMITED EDITION, beautiful beasts very easily. Check out this link http://www.fortunecity.com/athena/satin/1435/id28.htm#

This will be your car. Decide what's right for you, and don't give in to the pressure of the person selling you the car. You will regret it eventually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ShadowFist said:
How does a 96 cobra stack against the newer GTs? I have seen some cobras for sale around here and was wondering if a 96 (or so) cobra would be better than a 01-04 gt.
They are going to be .3-.4 seconds faster in the 1/4. They have 305 hp and 300 tq and can be made into a beast with a set of 4.30's. :happyhapp

·
Registered
72 Posts
It definitely sounds like spending 10k on a 96 cobra is much better than spending 20k for a newer gt...

·
Registered
56 Posts
ShadowFist said:
It definitely sounds like spending 10k on a 96 cobra is much better than spending 20k for a newer gt...
10K :eyebulge:? You should be able to find a 96-97 cobra for 7-8k, I have seen quite a few 99 cobras in the 11k price range and a couple in the 10's. :laughlitt Of course they don't have less than 60k on the clock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Duncan McDougal said:
10K :eyebulge:? You should be able to find a 96-97 cobra for 7-8k, I have seen quite a few 99 cobras in the 11k price range and a couple in the 10's. :laughlitt Of course they don't have less than 60k on the clock.
I guess everything is just more expensive over here in Washington State. Kelly blue book reports that a 96 cobra with 90k miles are worth around 10.5-11k here from a private party.

Ive been debating on whether or not to mod my current mustang (it has some issues with it) or just snag a Cobra if I see one (I can drive easy when needed :tongue )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.