Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i was driving to a friends place and i came to a stop sign and stopped and all this white smoke started pouring through the cowling. My temp gauge read a little higher than normal but i continued to my friends place as it was only a few more blocks. I got there popped the hood and coolant had splattered all over the firewall and the metal canister that has a line that runs to the A/C pump ( i dont know what that canister is called). It was also steaming and appeared to be coming from the back of the engine on the passenger side. Also, once I parked there was a huge pool of collant collecting under the car which was running down from the engine bay and was also dripping off the cat converter.I also noticed condensation on the passenger side windshield right above the defrost vent. The passenger side floor is dry however and i dont suspect the heater core as it was replaced less than 2 years ago. I drove it home for lack of other options and in the 5 minute drive nearly over heated it. This morning when it was light enough to look under the hood i couldnt find where it was leaking from as everything was dry. So I started to the car to check but got nothing, waited for it to cool off and checked my coolant level...both the radiator and overflow tank are empty. I dont suspect a blown head gasket either as the engine runs fine and theres no smoke out of the exhaust pipes. I cant pinpoint the leak and have run out of ideas. Any and all help/ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How so though? The water pump is also less than a year old but its on the front center of the engine while the leak is in the back right side. I'm not doubting you im just curious as to how it could tie in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Probably a heater hose. At least thats what it sounds like to me. I just got done replacing mine, good God are they ever hard to find lol. At least around here. I had a slow leak dripping from the ends of the hose getting a little spongy and thought I'd replace them before it became a problem, took almost two weeks to even find a place that has them in their system.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Don't throw out the possibility of a freeze plug. It happened to me, passenger side cylinder head.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
How old are the hoses? One may have split and they sometimes don't open up until they're hot, causing you to look over them and think they're fine.
Based on you saying the passenger side at the firewall, I'd think it's one of the twisted hoses from the black piping up to the heater core.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.