Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im thinking about converting my '88 to mass air and doing the good old H/C/I swap next spring. How does this combination sound? The car only has 56,000k on it right now with an AOD and stock gears in the rear. The only mods are a CAI, underdrive pulleys and a pypes catback. I would eventually put some shorty headers on it and a off road h pipe. How much HP do you think this would make at the wheels? Im not really shooting for a number just curious...

TFS 1 Cam - TFS-51402000

FRPP Cobra Intake - M-9424-Z51

Trick Flow Heads - TFS-51400002

Also what other things would i need to install? I know i would need gaskets, bolts, lube, rocker arms, thrust plate maybe?

I would also like to point out that this will be my first experience installing parts on a car engine but I like to think im not totally dumb (Dont we all) I know things can add up quickly. Thats why im asking the experts! Ive rebuilt small engines and have done basic maintenance or bolt-ons. Im no engine builder so let me know what you think. Im just looking for a street car no drag racing or anything like that. Just a fun weekend cruiser and something I can scare silly ricers with. :) Sorry for the long post. I just want to do everything right the 1st time around.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Those only started with, 225hp at the crank so if your lucky you might see 195rwhp - 205rwhp. Don't expect much, without going inside the motor, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
you could always just service yourself

hehe ( see picture )

sounds like a good plan!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
since your getting the trick flow heads and cam, why not just get the whole kit? it comes with roller rockers, pushrods, timing chain, gaskets, etc. basically everything you need. it will be alot esier and cheaper.

then i would say get some rear gears. with all that you should be pretty quick.

R

·
0 Posts
since your getting the trick flow heads and cam, why not just get the whole kit? it comes with roller rockers, pushrods, timing chain, gaskets, etc. basically everything you need. it will be alot esier and cheaper.

then i would say get some rear gears. with all that you should be pretty quick.

i was thinking same with regard to the intake

why choke the the combo with a cobra intake....

be sure to set aside a few dollars for suspension upgrades......

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Not a bad list, it's just there's better choices for the cam and intake.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could always just service yourself

hehe ( see picture )

sounds like a good plan!

lol yeah i noticed that last night when i posted it :laugh:

what would be a better intake for the combo? The trick flow intake? Im trying to keep costs down but i dont want to buy crap parts either. And as for a cam i dont want to make all the power at the upper end cuz i just wont be up that high. I dont think i have ever gone over 4,000 RPM and thats even rare. I usually keep it down around 3,000.

Then the heads i know i could get some GT40 or Gt40P heads but by the time i get them cleaned up at the machine shop i could just spend a little more and get new heads.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so something like this then?
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-K514-350-370
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K514-350-370/

See i didnt even think about replacing the timing chain and gears. Might as well do it since its cracked open that far. Oh god ive got a feeling i'll get into it and decide to just pull the whole thing out and rebuild it. :hihi:

·
Registered
956 Posts
You should upgrade the fuel system, injectors, pump, regulator

You should get some sub frame connectors

Maybe invest in some polyurethane bushings

You should have full exhaust and a larger throttle body

Cobra intake should be able to flow up to around 350 motor horsepower, stock, porting would help

Maybe get a shift kit for your AOD and a transmission cooler

My mods and power numbers are in my signature....

·
Registered
545 Posts
"I dont think i have ever gone over 4,000 RPM and thats even rare. I usually keep it down around 3,000."

Me and you are the same type of driver. I was reading some info from TMOSS. The Cobra intake puts up pretty good numbers lower in the RPM range. I ported mine. I took a chance on it because I know I will never get up past 4,500 RPM. Well I don't know about never, but I also got it because I'm a sucker for how it looks. You could always have him port it and that intake will perform. I also went with the trick flow stage one. I wanted a custom grind, but I live in California, so I just played it safe. I'm running a 331 with a ported cobra intake to ported trick flow TW heads. Trick flow 1.6 roller rockers, and stage one cam.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im looking for more power at lower rpms not up at 5,200 RPM. I also like the look of the cobra intake.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was thinking same with regard to the intake

why choke the the combo with a cobra intake....

be sure to set aside a few dollars for suspension upgrades......

would there really be that much difference in power/torque at say 3k - 4k RPM if i would use a trick flow street burner intake ( TFS-51500001) from one of their kits compared to the cobra intake? Im not drag racing my car so i need more mid range power.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
the GT40/Cobra/Explorer are almost impossible to beat for power below ~5,200 rpm (stock) -6,000 rpm (ported) on a head port less than ~170cc bar none................

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the GT40/Cobra/Explorer are almost impossible to beat for power below ~5,200 rpm (stock) -6,000 rpm (ported) on a head port less than ~170cc bar none................
in that case im going to go with the cobra, i like the looks of it over the trick flow intakes. Thanks for your opinion tmoss, i know you know what your talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.