Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if somone were to mod the hell out of these cars and bring them up an enormous amount like maybe the v6 to about 400+hp and the v8 to maybe 500+hp, would it be possible to blow the engine or would there be somthing somone may be able to prevent that such as aftermarket parts for the enigine itself?
thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
matai70 said:
I was curious if somone were to mod the hell out of these cars and bring them up an enormous amount like maybe the v6 to about 400+hp and the v8 to maybe 500+hp, would it be possible to blow the engine or would there be somthing somone may be able to prevent that such as aftermarket parts for the enigine itself?
thanks in advance:)
There are allready quite a few GT's in the mid 400's at the wheels, +500 at the engine crank. I'm hoping for around 500 on the wheels when I finally get my super charger on here in a couple of weeks!

I will build a short block, or a new, of course stronger, bottom end this winter. There is plenty of 4.6 parts to choose from. Many buy a built bottom end and put it in. One can quite easily buy the crank, rods, pistons, blocks, etc. Problem is to have it balanced and put to getter and then installed in your car.

I allready have ported and polished heads to put on. I made it a point to forge them for the additional pressure and heat from the super charger when I had them 'made'. The valves and springs are as hard as they can get and last.

I think and the general idea is that the stock engine will hold up for 'normal Mustang driving' with up to 500 HPs. I just don't wanna drive it like gran'ma and/or be scared to grenade the engine every time I get on it, hence the reinforcements, and future reinforcements...

·
Registered
622 Posts
interesting article in MM&FF that it's not really power that kills the motor but too much RPM and/or premature detonation. That the power stroke doesn't kill the rods, but rather when they yank the piston down on the intake stroke at high revs. They went on to say that higher boost will require higher octane, and at some point pump gas will not be adequate, causing premature detonation. basically that is the biggest limitation.

There's something about that on the kennebell.net faq as well.

The gist of it is that if you can get good enough gas to handle the boost with a good tune and keep the RPM under 6000, no problems ought to arise.

I don't have the resources to test the theory... anyone that cares to try, please let us know.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
interesting article in MM&FF that it's not really power that kills the motor but too much RPM and/or premature detonation. That the power stroke doesn't kill the rods, but rather when they yank the piston down on the intake stroke at high revs. They went on to say that higher boost will require higher octane, and at some point pump gas will not be adequate, causing premature detonation. basically that is the biggest limitation.

There's something about that on the kennebell.net faq as well.

The gist of it is that if you can get good enough gas to handle the boost with a good tune and keep the RPM under 6000, no problems ought to arise.

I don't have the resources to test the theory... anyone that cares to try, please let us know.
Calvin, good point! Detonation is a bummer and MUST be avoided, I'm allready on 93 octane and will tune a so called soft or SAFE tune! I will leave 20-30 RWHPs in there but what good are they if you blow the motor...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts