Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to put 22 inch rims on the back and 20's on front, i like the way the FOOSE does it like that, will they fit and if so how much would i have to drop the rear so they it will be level with the front, has someone seen this im sure it has been done before, i have a 1967 mustang fastback, and im in the process of restoring it and im about to buy my rear suspension and i need to know if i need to buy drop leaf springs or what i need to do so i dont have to buy parts twice any info would help

·
Registered
122 Posts
you have a great year for a fastback i would hate to see you ruin it. big rims are for pussies i say keep the muscle look go with some AR Torques or something

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
then it would look like every other mustang you see, people would be like hey theres another mustang with the same old style wheels , been like everyone else is for followers, i just want to know about the suspension upgrade im goin to have to do, they will be on there regardless until i see them on the car and i dont personally like them thats whats goin on there

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the people here can't help you, you might try the site or contact the people at tirerack.com. They're pretty
knowledgeable about what tires/rims fit various cars. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
A 18 is the biggest that will fit a mustang a 20 in the front you won't be able to steer the car at all.Only way to get a 22 under the back is one monster mini tube.Sell the mustang and buy a caprice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks steve ill have to give them a call cuz im sure that old of a car wont be on there website but you never know, and andrew ive seen it dont before both 22 r and 20 f and 20 f&r, i know it can be done without tubbing they make hundreds of offsets and widths now were thats not the problem, i know they will clear if i were to just bolt them on with a stock ride height , i was wondering what i should do to make the rear even out the front, and i wouldnt piss on a caprice or any car that resemble that car , theres a differance between trashy and nice, you can take the same set of rims and put it on two differant cars and have trashy and nice

·
Registered
810 Posts
The trick is to keep everything at 26 inchs outer diameter. So 'ass'uming you can get a 225/235 tire for a 20x8 inch rim that is 26 inches outer and 4.75 inches of backspacing diameter it will physically work on the car for the front. The same holds true for the rear but you can go a little wider...like a 245 ;) but it still needs to be right around 26 inches

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went to tirerack just to see what the smallest 22 inch tire would measure and it was 27.6 how exact does the rear have to be, you said right around would you think that would be to much over with new stock ride height springs that would be stiffer than normal, but then i would probly never get the back and front leveled out , when people put 20's and 18's do they leave the back up or drop it to match, ive seen that alot and it seems leveled out but who knows what they have done to the suspension but if you had 20's in the back you have a little more room to play , maybe they have a smaller tire

·
Registered
810 Posts
28 is too large and will require you to either lift the car, prevent the suspension from using full range of motion or modify the wheel wells

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I hope you use bigger brakes to stop the more rotating mass your giving it with the bigger wheels.Also changing the gearing to match the wheels and speedo gear so its not off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow i really like the way that car looked, i dont think im goin to go with 22's on the rear just because i dont wont to lift it id rather put 20's and lower it or leave it at stock height, as of right now i have a 8.8 posi with 373's with disc brake in the rear before i get done it will end up putting drilled slotted rotors on it and see how that does , i dont know if im goin to change the gears out yet

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 8.8 i have now has disc brakes do you think they would be ok if i were just to put drilled slotted rotors on them or would you think i would have to upgrade to something better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quickest way to ruin the looks of a Mustang or any other muscle car is by going with huge,ugly wheels&rubber band tires........looks like hell& rides like crap.............keep it realistic Troy's cars are decent,until he puts HIS wheels on the cars he does.....be origional, not a copy cat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
when it comes to things like this,if its the look that you like....go for it.I also like the chip foose cars with tall rims and tires in the rear.don't worry about what other people think,cuz everyone will have a different opinion!! good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.