Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am to drive my 68 mustang 302 convertible to panama city florida next month but i have city 12 gallon tank on there and dont want to stop constantly on the way down wats the largest tank they make for a 68 mustang and any ideas for better gas milage?
i have a 4 barrel Q- jet

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well i think the biggest they ever made was for 1970 it was 22gallons i think 1968 was 18gallons but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hello6mustang8502,
I have been using Mustangs Unlimited,com for many parts including my own tank for my 70.
They show a 16 gallon tank
Here is a link
http://www.mustangunlimited.com/Keyword.asp?UID=2009061014394438&PageLen=20&PageNo=1&Category=&Keywords=68+Gas+Tank&CatKey=

As far as better mileage......
1. - Do a tune-up before going
2. - Properly inflate tires
3. - Oil change would be wise
4. - Drive conservatively and consistent. Not 45 to 85 then 55 mph

I would think on the highway you should get around 22mpg.

Others will respond...This from an old backyard mechanic. Print Dad

Oh yeah...have a safe and fun trip!

·
Registered
850 Posts
6mustang8502,

Your '68 has a 16 gallon tank. I think the best you'll get is around 250 miles from a 16 gal. tank with a 302 4bbl.

VirginiaClassicMustang.com sells 16 gallon ('65-'68), 20 gallon ('69) and 22 gallon ('70). They will all fit in your car. You can install a '70 22 gallon tank in your car, it will be about 2" taller than the one you have and you will have to cut down the fill pipe a bit. I have several friends with big block Mustangs that have done this, 'cause they don't go far on 16 gallons!

I drove my '67 from Massachusetts to Florida (about 1500 miles) a while back, but I didn't mind stopping to fill up, because it was a long trip without cruise control and it felt good to stretch my legs every few hours. Your trip is probably only 3 or 4 tanks of gas depending on how much of a lead foot you are.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yeah you can use a 20 or 22 gallon for the 69/70 you will have to mod the filler neck to make it fit.Maybe look in to geting a over drive tranny also.You take 65 south almost the whole way there i will warn you once you hit Alabama fill up middle of the state there isn't many gas stations.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
'70 22 gal. tank will fit but you also need the sending unit so that your fuel gauge will read correctly along with modding the filler neck or installing a '70 version.
Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts