Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing H&R lowering springs currently.
I really, really want to install the cobra brake upgrade kit that I have.
However apparently with the Bullitt rims I have, that are 17x8 I can not because the rims don't clear the bigger calipers.
But, I've heard that putting wheel spacers on the wheels will help clear the brakes but I'm not sure about that.

The SS springs drop the car 2" in the front and 1.75" in back btw.

Don't wanna go any bigger on front than necessary because I don't want my car to look riced out.

I'd like to do wheel spacers in the back too and I know with stock height 1.25 works well but I'm not sure if that will fit with the lowering springs.

Anyone know what will fit?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Firstly, your 17" rims should clear the Cobra calipers and 13" rotors. I have '99 GT rims (also 17x8) with no clearance issues from the same front brakes. You could use wheel spacers at the front but with a 2" suspension drop, 1/2" spacers should be the maximum to avoid tire contact with the fender liner.
At the rear you can use 1.25" spacers and these will leave the front and rear track just about equal if you have 1/2" spacers at the front. I'm using 1.25" spacers at the rear with a 1" suspension drop so you should still be fine with a 1.75" drop.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I believe the problem with the rims I have is the spokes are slightly curved not straight as in most other rims.
This curvature interferes with the brake-rim clearance.

But thanks for the info on clearances with wheel spacers.

The thing that's been holding me back on spacers is that I am afraid if I buy them and build a 550hp motor the studs on the 1.25 wheel spacer will break or something if I take off really hard.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You can always grind the calipers a little to make them fit as I am sure it is only just a hair. Plus if you get wheel spacers you will have to get longer studs for sure.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The thing that's been holding me back on spacers is that I am afraid if I buy them and build a 550hp motor the studs on the 1.25 wheel spacer will break or something if I take off really hard.
No chance of that happening. You only need to cut off the first unthreaded 1/4" off each stud to fit the 1.25" spacers so you'll be able to put the lug nuts back on and still have some stud to spare.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No chance of that happening. You only need to cut off the first unthreaded 1/4" off each stud to fit the 1.25" spacers so you'll be able to put the lug nuts back on and still have some stud to spare.
Oh I wasn't worried about that. If my Moser Axles broke under 550hp strain I would...well that wouldn't even happen so I don't know what I would do.
I was worried about the studs on the wheel spacers breaking or bending.

I was thinking of getting 5mm wheel spacers for the front and then grinding the calipers as needed. with 5mm I don't think you need new studs.
What would you use to grind the calipers?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually would a brake piston etc from a 99-04 mustang fit our 94-98 mustangs? I know those use dual piston brakes but with an 11" rotor.
That might be an easier route and probably wayyy cheaper. I already have the cobra brake kit but I can sell it and get the 99-04 brakes if that'd work.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the passenger side assembled...mostly...and did a test fit of the rim and cobra brakes and the cleared. Only about 3-4mm of clearance between spokes and calipers but it clears nonetheless !! this makes me happy....:kooky::kooky:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Freaking out over nothing come on now get it assembled.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haahaha yeah...I definitely failed with this post. I was trying to plan ahead so I could get all the parts together before working on the car and then I read a few posts about how they don't fit and yeah I got panicky...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts