Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok hears my project 89 mustang gt 302 i keep blowing my stock motor's head gaskets this time im taking it out and redoing the block looking for ideas on what to add to it or do to it any help would be grate i want it built proff what kind of cam should i put in ,pistons rods heads and most of all what head gasket to put in it should i axe the head bolts and put studs in i have a powerdyne superchager putting out 9 psi thnks for the help

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wont speak to things im not sure of, but I know one thing. If you use a crappy "twanger" style torque wrench when u tighten your heads down, you'll be sorry. I was :) Use a QUALITY torque wrench. If it costs less than $100 bucks, its junk !!

Get the heads and block surfaced and true, get ARP head studs, and a good gasket set. Should do ya good.

Getting proper torque on used head bolts from a supercharged engine can be a bad thing. Bolts actually stretch etc... when detonation occurs, high heat etc... If you are not going to switch to studs, use new bolts each time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can't imagine why with only 9 pounds of boost you are blowing gaskets.

Either the bolts are bad (from being over torqued), the deck or head isn't flat, or you are not torquing the bolts properly. Out of the three I'd bet bad bolts or improper installation torque.

I have no problems at 8-10 pounds boost and 500 or so horsepower using Felpro gaskets and ARP head bolts.

I use a click type wrench but I check the calibration periodically with a bathroom scale and bench vise.

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think ill use those arp studs and ya my bolts were crap still need some help with ideas with pistons and the cam prob going to go with new heads as well

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Probably stretched head bolts. The stock bolts are crap anyway.
You'll want forged pistons, and then the cam is the LAST thing to get because that depends on the rest of the engine such as the heads, intake, exhaust, compression, rear gears, transmission, etc. Everyone goes for the cam first when it needs to be last on the list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.