Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW...Ford's financial woes continue. I just heard that Ford lost $254 million for the 2nd quarter...ouch that has got to hurt. As a result, Bill Ford, direct decendent of Henry Ford, is stepping down as CEO of Ford. Being replaced by the President from Boeing. Things that make you go hhhmmmm....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
mrvandermey said:
WOW...Ford's financial woes continue. I just heard that Ford lost $254 million for the 2nd quarter...ouch that has got to hurt. As a result, Bill Ford, direct decendent of Henry Ford, is stepping down as CEO of Ford. Being replaced by the President from Boeing. Things that make you go hhhmmmm....
Yowza..Maybe we'll get some fins back !
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,066 Posts
Oh, I am sure he will stay on as a Borad member and probably still make the most money off Ford as anyone in the building. I mean he didn't take a salary for the last 3 years or something, but he has to still live somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
mrvandermey said:
WOW...Ford's financial woes continue. I just heard that Ford lost $254 million for the 2nd quarter...ouch that has got to hurt. As a result, Bill Ford, direct decendent of Henry Ford, is stepping down as CEO of Ford. Being replaced by the President from Boeing. Things that make you go hhhmmmm....
Whoa Horsey! And I have friends that work at Boeing, so who is their President? Looks like I better go to some other Internet site besides the Mustang forum!

Good thing I got my stangs now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently, Allan Mulally, a former Vice President and President of Boeing is the new replacement, and Bill Ford does stay on as Chairman of the Board...so he is not ousted, just stepping down from the head position.

Bill Ford and his family still own a 40% share of the voting stock in Ford. He is the great-grandson of Henry Ford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Was checking out Ford Stock

After Hours: 8.78
+0.39 (4.65%)
Last Trade:8.39

Now might be a good time to take a chance.
Don't think they are going anywhere.
Worst case , govt bails them out like they did to Chrysler (hopefully)

Pity they can't build a camry type car after 100 years ...considering the taurus used to be a best seller...they milked & incentivized it to death...That car should have been the camry/accord for Ford.

PS- if Gas dropped a buck ...all the domestics would be back in black cause small cars blow LOL !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
roboz said:
Was checking out Ford Stock

After Hours: 8.78
+0.39 (4.65%)
Last Trade:8.39

Now might be a good time to take a chance.
Don't think they are going anywhere.
Worst case , govt bails them out like they did to Chrysler (hopefully)

Pity they can't build a camry type car after 100 years ...considering the taurus used to be a best seller...they milked & incentivized it to death...That car should have been the camry/accord for Ford.

PS- if Gas dropped a buck ...all the domestics would be back in black cause small cars blow LOL !

Check out a Fusion. Stop taking pity on Ford and go look at there other products! I hear this everyday. "Why cant you guys build this? Why why why..." Stop listening to the media, visit a showroom and testdrive one of these vehicles. We are kicking alot of them out the door because people are tired of paying 5-10k dollar premiums for a few letters that say "Honda" or "Toyota"

I'm glad I bought a month ago when when it was at 5.90 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
We, Southwest Airlines, just bought one of Fords airplanes. The flight departments are some of the first to take cuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
jasons99gt said:
Check out a Fusion. Stop taking pity on Ford and go look at there other products! I hear this everyday. "Why cant you guys build this? Why why why..." Stop listening to the media, visit a showroom and testdrive one of these vehicles. We are kicking alot of them out the door because people are tired of paying 5-10k dollar premiums for a few letters that say "Honda" or "Toyota"

I'm glad I bought a month ago when when it was at 5.90 :)
I dont think people are tired of paying for the premiums for Toyota or Honda cars. Camry is having a record year, and thats without incentives and a higher MSRP, they cant keep those cars on the lots. Honda Civic, honda fit, toyota yaris are selling like hot cakes and all without incentives. The only car company i think is cutting into them is Hyunida....other than that... the BIG 3 hasn't done anything. A local las vegas Hyundai dealer sells 700 cars a month...more than any other major dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
jasons99gt said:
Check out a Fusion. Stop taking pity on Ford and go look at there other products! I hear this everyday. "Why cant you guys build this? Why why why..." Stop listening to the media, visit a showroom ..instead of paying 5-10k dollar premiums for a few letters that say "Honda" or "Toyota"
:)
Dude , I paid over 40K (w/tax) in 05 for my Vert & am considering a 157K (Yes that's the price ;) ) Ford GT so I am far from 'clouded by the media' in my decision making . In fact when it comes to my current stang , I never even mentioned problems . Having said that , you are seriously mistaking if you think the Ford Fusion approaches the driving dynamics, quality & refinement of the 07 camry or accord. In fact it's not even in the maxima league.

Hey don't take my word for it , do a little research into resale value. Find ANY ford sedan that comes close to the aformentioned cars. While your @ it ...Compare Lincoln resale to any foreign luxury maker , it's downright embarrassing.

PS- I had the 'good fortune' to have a taurus once as a compnay car ..it was a horrendous, constantly plagued car , in the shop for months @ a time (the BEST part of having one...looking forward to the rental)
This was Ford's best selling car & the country's best selling car for a while . They could have refined it to death to stand out as a benchmark. Instead you have a friggin fusion ? WT Hay ..last I checked that was some type of nuclear reaction, not a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jasons99gt said:
Check out a Fusion. Stop taking pity on Ford and go look at there other products! I hear this everyday. "Why cant you guys build this? Why why why..." Stop listening to the media, visit a showroom and testdrive one of these vehicles. We are kicking alot of them out the door because people are tired of paying 5-10k dollar premiums for a few letters that say "Honda" or "Toyota"

I'm glad I bought a month ago when when it was at 5.90 :)
A Fusion you say...hhhmmmm...I just traded in my '06 Ford Fusion for yes, a Ford F-150. Yes, I am going to get worse gas mileage in the F-150, but let me tell you about the Fusion. I bought it because it is cheaper than the Accord/Camry...but that is the point, it IS cheaper, not just less expensive. I have owned Hondas in the past, and never had quality issues like I had with the Fusion. My Fusion simply did not perform as promised. The gas mileage was over 30% less than claimed (even at the speed limit, using cruise control, good driving habits, other drivers, etc) AND it is the only car I have ever owned that had been in the shop for warranty issues 4 times in 8 months...that is NOT quality. Then too boot, it had 221 hp, only 20 less than the Accord and very close to the Camry, but it also had a 3 second delay when stepping on the gas. The Hondas and Toyotas did not. The extreme throttle lag is not noticeable unless you are already moiving or trying to take off quickly from a dead stop. I grant it is not a race car like our Mustangs, but when you are in traffic and can not pull out because of the throttle lag ro move out of the way when a truck is barreliung down on you...you got problems. Even after being in for warranty work 4 times, I still had 2 gremlins that Ford was never able to fix. In hindsight, I would gladly pay an extra couple thousand dollars for quality and reliability. The Fusion is a nice looking car and has its niche, but NOT and Accord/Camry killer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I gotta step in and give some credit where it is due. I also own an '06 Fusion in addition to my 'Stang and I think it is an extremely well made car. I compared it to other cars at the same price point (Accord, Camry, etc.) and I think it is a very competitive car. The import sedans I mentioned may have it beat in some respects but they certainly don't beat it hands down. I actually think the Fusion has a quieter and more refined ride quality than either one of them. Either way you look at it, the Fusion is eons ahead of Ford's more recent efforts at a mass-market sedan (Taurus, Contour, etc.), and is definitely the best effort made by any domestic car maker.

If I have any gripe at all it would be about the fuel mileage. I agree with the previous poster, mine doesn't get near what I think it should. I can get 29-30 on the highway but I am lucky to get 20 in the city and mixed-driving. Driving the same roads in the same manner back and forth to work everyday gets me about 20.5. Here's what makes me a little upset - on the same roads I get about 20.5 out of my Mustang to :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AirborneVet said:
I gotta step in and give some credit where it is due. I also own an '06 Fusion in addition to my 'Stang and I think it is an extremely well made car. I compared it to other cars at the same price point (Accord, Camry, etc.) and I think it is a very competitive car. The import sedans I mentioned may have it beat in some respects but they certainly don't beat it hands down. I actually think the Fusion has a quieter and more refined ride quality than either one of them. Either way you look at it, the Fusion is eons ahead of Ford's more recent efforts at a mass-market sedan (Taurus, Contour, etc.), and is definitely the best effort made by any domestic car maker.

If I have any gripe at all it would be about the fuel mileage. I agree with the previous poster, mine doesn't get near what I think it should. I can get 29-30 on the highway but I am lucky to get 20 in the city and mixed-driving. Driving the same roads in the same manner back and forth to work everyday gets me about 20.5. Here's what makes me a little upset - on the same roads I get about 20.5 out of my Mustang to :rolleyes:
I will give credit where credit belongs, although I am not impressed with Fusion, it is better than most other domestics, and with a little effort from Ford, it could be a true competitor for the imports. FORD, if you are listening, actually make the car get close to the gas mileage claimed. I had the V6, it was claimed to get 31 mpg, the best I ever saw was 23. I used my Fusion for just commuting my 50 miles each way, which is virtually all open highway. In town, the car would be lucky to 18, if in-town driving was only a mile or two, the gas mileage would drop like a rock. Remember when Ford had "Quality is Job One", well Ford, go back to that and mean it. If Ford can increase the quality and reliability, deliver on its promises, and keep the car competitive in price, then Ford would have a hit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
That being said, i know someone who has a new Accord LX sedan that was purchased for 19K, and its a very nice car. It has a 4Cyl engine and it gets high 20's low 30's mixed driving. Car has 50K miles now, and ZERO problems... it hasn't even seen the dealer since the first oil change. If any of the Big 3 can make a car like this....let me know....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
sincitystang said:
That being said, i know someone who has a new Accord LX sedan that was purchased for 19K, and its a very nice car. It has a 4Cyl engine and it gets high 20's low 30's mixed driving. Car has 50K miles now, and ZERO problems... it hasn't even seen the dealer since the first oil change. If any of the Big 3 can make a car like this....let me know....
Well they do (did) but it's been a while ...here is a car that would do a steady 20+MPG with a bullet proof slant 6 , ususally good for 150K+ miles...if properly maintained....Plus I'm biased since I picked up a nice little 225 slant 6 1963 Dart GT coupe coming out of paint this week...from the Original Owner ...Black w/Red interior & that infamous push button tranny ....overall car was rock solid for a 43 year old. Maybe The Big 3 should continue to go 'back to the future'.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I had an '89 Taurus - back when they were decent sized cars and not the compacts they are now. Drove that car for 150,000 hard miles - all city, stop and go, traffic. I loved that car. Decent power, lots of room, and very comfortable. I am only 5'6" but I am sick of not having any room in cars anymore. Hell, my parent's Grand Marque was so silly that even with the seat all the way back I was crammed against the wheel - considering the size of that car what the hell did they do.

I often think they make these cars in a vacume - or most likely, they are relying TOO MUCH on computer models and forgetting to just ASK people what they want or think is good in a car. Even in our Mustangs - how damn useless are those stupid side pockets in the doors. Even my sunglasses won't fit.

Decent variety is important too - they need to undertand that one size does not fit all!! Some of us could care less about gas mileage - I want room, steel, and power!! :shigrin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
roboz said:
Well they do (did) but it's been a while ...here is a car that would do a steady 20+MPG with a bullet proof slant 6 , ususally good for 150K+ miles...if properly maintained....Plus I'm biased since I picked up a nice little 225 slant 6 1963 Dart GT coupe coming out of paint this week...from the Original Owner ...Black w/Red interior & that infamous push button tranny ....overall car was rock solid for a 43 year old. Maybe The Big 3 should continue to go 'back to the future'.
I had one of those, it ran forever. In fact it ran too long. It just wouldn't die.:shigrin I don't think they would sell many of those today. That 225 put out about 125hp, and they measured gross hp in those days, and got 18 to 23 mpg. The fuel system was a two barrel Stromberg carburetor, and I loved changing the points and plugs every 20 thousand miles. You could probably get away with changing the oil every 3000 miles today because of the quality of the oil, but in those days you needed to change the oil at least every 1500. Those engines burned dirtier then hell. Not exactly low maintenance. Not exactly high tech.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Tough little motors though, I had one that came into my shop years ago with a rod knock, they had a junkyard engine to swap it out with, we pulled the carb spring and let it run wide open to see if it would blow...it didn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Foolinjected said:
Tough little motors though, I had one that came into my shop years ago with a rod knock, they had a junkyard engine to swap it out with, we pulled the carb spring and let it run wide open to see if it would blow...it didn't.
I agree. One of the two toughest motors ever made. The other is the old Ford flat head V8. These motors could run wide open for hours. Like to see you do that today with a ricer.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top