Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with a Black Mustang, having chipping issues, my car just turned 15k, and the front end looks like it has 100k on it, I think Ford went cheap on the clearcoat, I looked at my 03 Taurus that I sold to my mother inlaw, the car has 68k on it and 0 rock chips, and I drove that car the same route to work as the Mustang, and I barley drove the Mustang from Nov-April.

I asked the dealer and they said Ford wont do anything about, I said I figured you would say that. I asked him why my 03 Taurus, 99 Suberban arent chiping like the Mustang, he said looks like your following too close to gravetrains, I said yah , I purposly single them out and drive behind them.
So next week I am taking it in to get the hood repainted, for $200, and they said they will put more clear on it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
05StangAwsomeca said:
Anybody with a Black Mustang, having chipping issues, my car just turned 15k, and the front end looks like it has 100k on it, I think Ford went cheap on the clearcoat, I looked at my 03 Taurus that I sold to my mother inlaw, the car has 68k on it and 0 rock chips, and I drove that car the same route to work as the Mustang, and I barley drove the Mustang from Nov-April.

I asked the dealer and they said Ford wont do anything about, I said I figured you would say that. I asked him why my 03 Taurus, 99 Suberban arent chiping like the Mustang, he said looks like your following too close to gravetrains, I said yah , I purposly single them out and drive behind them.
So next week I am taking it in to get the hood repainted, for $200, and they said they will put more clear on it.
I feel for you... Mine not black but I have the same miles as you... and i've notice a number of small chips... Not real thrilled about that! They don't seem as obivious as i'm sure your black ones do though... but just knowing they are all there... ARGH!

·
Registered
914 Posts
even though many others on this forum have stated that those of us who got the permaplate or protective coatings were wasting our money, I must say I am glad I did it. My GT is also black. First of all the guy that applied mine was a freaking artist - it looks like polished black jade - just beautiful - no swirls, no runs - looks like it is miles deep. I am just about at 15K as well and have a couple of dings & scratches, but they were from serious hits - rocks & such from trucks. Otherwise it looks great and has held up rerally well.

One thing with these cars is that long sweeping hood by design is more prone to damage than say the boring hood of a Taurus (and I owned one too so I am not knocking them), there is a lot of open metal on these cars and unless you want to cover something up, they are going to get hit...

....especially at triple digit speeds! :winks

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have two chips on the fender flare of the front left wheel well!:sosad: Along with a few others at the front. I have really made a conscious effort to hang way back from traffic. More so in this car than any other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
4511.21 said:
I have two chips on the fender flare of the front left wheel well!:sosad: Along with a few others at the front. I have really made a conscious effort to hang way back from traffic. More so in this car than any other.

Hope your not driving the stang in the winter......ice..snow..salt..ect.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Paint chips will happen

Do you do alot of highway driving? If you do any highway driving, your car is receiving conditions equal to sandblasting; it doesn't take long. On the other hand, the mother-in-law, even though her car has 66K miles, hasn't done much highway driving; most of her driving is around town at slow speeds.

Since your car is black, it will easily show the smallest of chips. If after you repair your front end and remove all the chips, I'd strongly recommend the 'invisible bra'. This is a 3M 1 mil. thick paint shield that's applied to the front end and other prone areas; it will protect the car from any rocks and debris. I know this product has been discussed on several occassions on this forum.

A quality installation costs about $650 - $750 (complete). Good luck.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree- Paint and Clearcoat is Weak

I can definitly relate. My black GT only has 4400 miles on it and I can see tons of swirls. Yes, I wash it alot. By hand. Ive been comparing other new vehicles black paint to mine. The other day I got a close up look at an 04' Dodge Ram's black paint job and it looked much deeper than the Stangs. And not near the amount of swirls in the clearcoat. Someone needs to tell the factory to beef up the paint and clearcoat a bit.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Black paint

Well guys, I have a black GT Vert, damn is it cool, but damn is it work to keep it looking good :tongue . Fortunately (knock on wood) no chips yet, but I do have a scratch or two, caused by a car wash. Yes, I was weak...I went to a car wash once to get a hand wax, and got two scratches for my effort:sosad: . I hand wash and wax it now (weekly for the wash and monthly for the wax) and no swirl marks. Currently, I feel I have a very deep shine, mine looks so black I call it oil slick black. I have owned several black cars befor, but none are as deep black my Stang :eyepoppin .

·
Registered
554 Posts
Taking care of a black car is an artform. If you wash it with anything other than a lambskin washmit, you are taking chances. How many of you guys use a sponge to wash your car? I cringe everytime I see it. I love it how guys will dip a sponge into dirty water and then proceed to wash their cars with a circular motion. I can just feel the dirt particles grinding into the clearcoat and causing swirlmarks!

If you are going to handwash, like I said, use a washmit. The washmit will "trap" some of the dirt particles and not allow them on the surface. Hopefully no one washes their body with the same water they wash their wheels with??!??

Reading through some of the posts just got me wondering. I mean, is Ford really supposed to put 18 coats of base and 12 coats of clear on to it wont chip? Paint costs money and adds weight. Its a car...you drive it and its not going to look new. You do the best you can with what you have.

Every year my car gets an extensive detail. I have someone use a high speed rotary buffer to get the oxidation built up over the year off the paint. Also, if you dont hand wash, go through a TOUCHLESS car wash. Think about the tons of dirt just hanging on those car wash brushes just ready to grind into your paint! AHHHAHH!!

Have fun guys! Just remember, we all love our stangs, but if you drive em, its gonna happen:)

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
193 Posts
My redfire is chipping too. The very tip of the front bumper and clearcoat chips in places. My wifes 2003 mazda minivan has less orange peel and chips and hers is black. Mine only has 1800 miles on it and i do take care of it. Its only been on the interstate 3 times. Never in the rain.

Im afraid to take it to the dealer. I took it in for a nail in the tire and they gave it back with the wheel bent and gouged.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah... SIGH... I noticed my first couple of chips off my hood, and I am barely getting to the 2000 mile mark... :sosad:

There is a lot of construction going on in my area, g**d**** gravel trucks are all over this place. I hang back as best I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
chipping is driving me crazy

my hood is driving me crazy all of a sudden there are all kinds of fiber like chips everwhere the rest of the car looks great but the hood :surprised what should i do ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.