Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...actually, the only place I do not have black paint is my hoo-ha, right next to....Anyway, Got some POR-15 for the rear end. Prepped it with all the associated chemicals and painted it on. Little tiny can did the whole axle, even after I spilled half. I got some on my face, arms, hands, back, side, hair and legs. The thing is, once this stuff dries on your skin, it's there for the duration. Wife cut the globs in the hair. I'm guess my skin will flake off the other stuff.
Very glossy black, said it dries in 3-5 hours. May report back with photos tomorrow....

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You know that POR15 is not a top coat but a base coat, if you want it to stay shiny for the long haul you need to put a top coat on it.

And wear gloves and other skin protection next time... like they tell you in the directions...:bigthumbsup

And we need PICS!!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wore gloves for MOST of the time. Didn't protect the hair, arms etc... just like the instructions..... Anyways, pictures for sure. No top coat. According to the "instructions" not needed unless exposed to UV.:winks

·
Registered
355 Posts
I thought only women had "hoo-has"...lol

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'd like to see the pictures...of the axle naturally...definitely not the hoo-ha.

Did you use the starter kit?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
POR-15 is nasty sh** to use and I can attest to all the folks making peanut gallery comments that it wouldn't have mattered what you were wearing for protection, it still ends up on your skin. The stuff seeps right through clothes and gloves. I had spots for weeks, LOL. However your temporary tattoos aside, it's worth the mess and effort as the stuff bonds really, really well.

I did the entire underbelly of a car four years ago, wheelwells, chassis, driveline, everything except the motor. I found it worked best to go slow and apply one coat liberally and thoroughly, attempts at second coats are next to worthless as the stuff pretty much resists adhering to itself.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK- So now I'm sobered up enough to answer questions. 412 is exactly right. The stuff gets everywhere.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that only women have hoo-has and that's about the only place I didn't get any (the wifes), which, is technically mine.:winks
Yes, I used the starter kit, so it was prepped exactly how it was supposed to be. The prep stuff works very well too. In between steps, I re-installed my Barton shifter again. Efficiency is my middle name.
It wasn't dry enough at the end of the day yesterday to drive around. I'll back it out and get some pics later today , when my head stops throbbing, courtesy of the Bremerton Brewfest.

Washington Beer Commission » Bremerton Summer BrewFest

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Unlike the others, I would like to see a photo of the hoo-ha. LOL

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Black Paint on my hoo-ha......

May report back with photos tomorrow....
Like whirledpeaz sez, no pictures necessary. :)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went in to the garage, was overcome with nausea due to the POR15 fumes ( and hangover). Crawled back on the couch.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Can't wait to see some pics!
:postpics

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
this is my next project. did you crawl under the car or hoist it? since you brushed it, did you find it tough to work around the wheel area and paint it properly?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I jacked the car up, but with it being lowered, it minimizes the clearances between the axle and the body. If I had to do it over again, I'd try to find a friend with a lift. Clearances and angles are very tough, regardless. I'd imagine, if you take your time, you can do a proper job with the car on stands. It will be time consuming. Good luck, I'll try and post pictures ASAP. IE: Feeling much better now...

this is my next project. did you crawl under the car or hoist it? since you brushed it, did you find it tough to work around the wheel area and paint it properly?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As promised. Too lazy to jack it up. I will try and get the paint smudges off of the LCA's but I'm pretty sure it's on the yellows for good!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks great. BTW, mind helping a brotha out and explain why you did this? To prevent rust? (sorry, getting tired and didn't feel like searching around, assuming it's not too much trouble)

EDIT: NM, did a quick Google of POR-15 and found it's for rust prevention (figured). Didn't mention it, but I'm loving your suspension mods - I'm sure your car is ridiculous on a track :worship.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.