Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i have a 99 stang with 17 inch cobra rims. i keep getting this black stuff on them and the back ones clean up fine but the front ones dont (cuz of the brakes?). i presume that it is oil but i could be wrong. what can i do to stop this from happening? is it something that is a maintenance problem or is it normal and i just have to live with it? the front ones dont clean up...would sand paper get it off or would it scratch my rims? thanks for any help!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sry...accidentally posted the same thread twice...i thought the site said it didnt post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Red99Stang said:
OK i have a 99 stang with 17 inch cobra rims. i keep getting this black stuff on them and the back ones clean up fine but the front ones dont (cuz of the brakes?). i presume that it is oil but i could be wrong. what can i do to stop this from happening? is it something that is a maintenance problem or is it normal and i just have to live with it? the front ones dont clean up...would sand paper get it off or would it scratch my rims? thanks for any help!
Its the graphite from the brake pads.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Red99Stang said:
It could very well be brake dust bro , whens the last time you had them changed ? and its common problem thats not too bad . But if you let it build up your rims very well may be ruined . Sand paper will most likely damage your rims , same thing happened to me on my eclispe with my 16's chrome. I used a very stubby white wall brush and white wall bleach that seemed to work (scrubbed em about 4 times). They were damaged a bit but I buffed em up with smothers chrome compound and that seem to make damage pretty unoticeable , hope that helps !

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Venom810 said:
It could very well be brake dust bro , whens the last time you had them changed ? and its common problem thats not too bad . But if you let it build up your rims very well may be ruined . Sand paper will most likely damage your rims , same thing happened to me on my eclispe with my 16's chrome. I used a very stubby white wall brush and white wall bleach that seemed to work (scrubbed em about 4 times). They were damaged a bit but I buffed em up with smothers chrome compound and that seem to make damage pretty unoticeable , hope that helps !
What kind of wheels are they?

You need to get some wheel cleaner (Eagle 1 works the best for me).

you need to know the kind, so you can get the right formulation.

It's a combination of brake dust, tar, dog pee, and whatever else your wheels come in contact with

:eyebulge:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Combination of Road grime and brake dust more then likely, get a bucket of hot soapy water and a brass or stainless steel (not hard but soft brissle) brush and go in small circles followed by a cloth. That should take care of it, if not try some goo gone that stuff works wonders on "stuff"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.