Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a Zaino user for many years. Zaino is extremely tough but their system takes a lot of time and is not a 10 for shine. So I drifted away to the chain store flavor of the month which usually gave a better shine than Zaino. They never lasted as long, but I enjoy "waxing", so that didn't matter so much.

About a month or so ago, there was a thread here about Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. I had heard about Blackfire and other mail-order products, but am not inclined to try mail-order stuff without credible reviews. And frankly just the name of this was enough to turn me away. I mean why put one color in the name and can you get more hyperbolic than "wet diamond"?

But even though I had a blue car and it had a stupid name, I decided to try it anyway.

I still don't know how long it will last but it has the best shine I've seen and it is ridiculously easy and simple to use. To top it off, it doesn't stain black plastic trim. I even used it on the black vinyl stripes.

Like other high end products (like Zaino), it takes a very small amount. They say a nickle size amount per panel.

Unlike anything I've used before, it is indifferent to how long you take before wiping off. If you leave Zaino (for example) on too long, get out the jack hammer.

But what blew my mind was how easy it is to take off. I mean you barely need to drag a microfiber cloth across it.

And the shine is the best I've seen. I just hope that the ease in buffing does not mean it's not that tough. Time will tell. But even if it doesn't last super long. I'm still going to use it for the shine and ease of use.

Anyway, here are some pics (sorry for [email protected] camera):

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks great!!

fifteen characters

·
Registered
396 Posts
sweet,,I might have to try that for sure!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've yet to seal my car, waiting on clear bra installation slated for this Fri., as well as tinting.

Read another guy's thread here on this stuff after I was about to order a bunch of things, including their sealer, from Griots.

Haven't ordered anything yet, maybe I'll go with this.

Hoosier, I'm new to trying to keep a vehicle looking real nice. Would you recommend I get a tub of the proper clay bar prior to initial sealing? Have had the car one week today.

Btw, Husker fan since '75, still a trip to me Dr. Tom went to the Big 10...but, he's the Man, so wth

·
Registered
942 Posts
meant to mention, car looks real nice

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If I recall correctly, a thread post offered the suggestion to let the Wet Diamond "cure" for a good day for the best results. Also, adding carnauba or white carnauba product on top of that after the curing of the car has occurred is highly recommended by myself. :) Looks great! I can't wait to try this process on a brand new paint job, myself.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoosier, I'm new to trying to keep a vehicle looking real nice. Would you recommend I get a tub of the proper clay bar prior to initial sealing? Have had the car one week today.
YES!!!

New cars need claying the most from the rail dust (unless your dealer is so close to the factory they trucked it the whole way). Rail dust is metal filings from the train wheels and it will be imbedded in the paint and nothing but clay will get it out without taking off paint. You don't want sealant on top of rail dust. And you do want sealant in the tiny holes the rail dust leaves behind.

The last time I bought clay, Amazon had a double size tub of Griot's for not much more than the regular size. Don't know if still the case, but worth a look.

·
Registered
179 Posts
YES!!!

New cars need claying the most from the rail dust (unless your dealer is so close to the factory they trucked it the whole way). Rail dust is metal filings from the train wheels and it will be imbedded in the paint and nothing but clay will get it out without taking off paint. You don't want sealant on top of rail dust. And you do want sealant in the tiny holes the rail dust leaves behind.

The last time I bought clay, Amazon had a double size tub of Griot's for not much more than the regular size. Don't know if still the case, but worth a look.
I should be concerned about rail dust more than most (see my signature line:winks), but is it really that much of an issue anymore, given the rail cars are enclosed these days?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should be concerned about rail dust more than most (see my signature line:winks), but is it really that much of an issue anymore, given the rail cars are enclosed these days?
I'll take your word that they are always enclosed. If they are enclosed then no rail dust will be hitting them at speed. I'll bet there will be some settling on the car though. I don't know if that would get worked into the paint other than during dealer prep.

Now that I think about it, there wasn't that much rail dust pulled up when I clayed mine. But the clay still did pick up a LOT of other stuff that a thorough washing with Dawn (to strip anything the dealer may have put on the paint) didn't get off. So I think its still very worthwhile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This stuff looks great. Definitely gonna try it.

My question is what type of cloths to use. I was at wal-mart and there were several different kinds. I don't wanna buy any old pos and scratch the paint. What should I use to wash it and what to apply the wax and remove?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This stuff looks great. Definitely gonna try it.

My question is what type of cloths to use. I was at wal-mart and there were several different kinds. I don't wanna buy any old pos and scratch the paint. What should I use to wash it and what to apply the wax and remove?
Costco had some good deals on different sizes microfiber towels. I bought two different types and both were excellent quality. I don't know what they carry now.

FYI, you don't have to be a Costco member to buy on Costco.com although they will tack 5% on if you don't supply a member number. Interestingly, I ordered once using an expired membership number (didn't realize it had expired months ago) and they did NOT add 5%.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got turned onto this stuff right after I bought my Mustang. So far, it's been the only sealant I've used on it, but it's become my new go-to product. Holds up well, easy application, and fantastic shine are the keys. I've used it on about a half dozen other cars I've detailed and they all have a great shine once it's applied. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a better wax/sealant for their car.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its amazing stuff. I still can't believe how easy it is to to take off. I left some on for a few minutes, but other parts I left on for almost an hour when I got called away. And it was effortless to remove both ways. And that is a very big deal to me because a certain amount of fine dust will settle on any product while waiting for it to haze. I know its a VERY small amount in my closed garage but I always hated having to use pressure when buffing because I knew any dust that did land was getting ground in. With this stuff you barely use any pressure at all. I swear you could literally just drag a microfiber with no pressure (other than gravity) a few times to take it off. Amazing!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put it on with my PC7424 and you BARELY use any. I love it. Top it off ever 4-5 weeks to keep it protected, and the beading it provides is great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I just ordered the stuff tonight; we'll see if I can drag my lazy donkey outside long enough to actually use it!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The rail cars I see at the North Houston car depot are "enclosed" with perforated metal. You can see through the rail cars.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I work for a railroad and some are more enclosed than others. There's some that are completely enclosed that you can't see in (mostly newer railroad cars) and some that have the perforated metal with pretty big holes and 2 foot gaps between the the perforated sheets. I've seen the auto racks, what we call them, sit in a railroad yard for several days and people have spray painted stuff on the side of them. I peeked thru one once and all the cars inside had spray paint all over them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.