Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on my blackout panel this morning, Thought I would post some before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
which product did you use? and are you happy with the finished product?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
06TUNGVERTGT said:
which product did you use? and are you happy with the finished product?
It's a 5 to 7 year vinyl that I purchased on e-bay from Ceptrex. I was kind of leary on wheather I would like the blackout look, so instead of buying the $180 lexan panel and then maybe not liking it, I opted for the $15 decal. Then when this decal wears out or fades and I really like the look, then I'll purchase the lexan panel. And Yes, I'm happy, it's not too shiny, it's got more of a matte finish.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Difficulty?

How hard was it to put on? Were air bubbles a problem? I've been considering getting the same, but am worried I can't get it right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
How hard was it to put on? Were air bubbles a problem? I've been considering getting the same, but am worried I can't get it right.
It took about 45 minutes to install, the hardest part was getting it on straight while fitting it on around the GT badge. I just sprayed a bit of soap and water on the trunk lid first, so I could get it on nice and straight. Then just worked from the center out, pushing out the air bubbles and wrinkles with a little bit of heat.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
NorthernStang said:
It took about 45 minutes to install, the hardest part was getting it on straight while fitting it on around the GT badge. I just sprayed a bit of soap and water on the trunk lid first, so I could get it on nice and straight. Then just worked from the center out, pushing out the air bubbles and wrinkles with a little bit of heat.
i ordered the same one, its in my hall closet awaiting a car to put it on.... you said you used water?? is it a water based decal or is it a "sticker" with adhesive backing? what did you use for a heat source (heat gun?) also did you get any care instructions??? i didnt get anything with mine... just the panel:?:

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
If it's a 3M automotive vinyl decal you should use 1 tbsp of original Dawn dishwashing liquid to 1 gallon of water. Then fill a squirt bottle. When applying the decal, you wet the car surface and the adhesive side of the decal until slippery. Then apply and squeegee the excess water from under the decal. Not terribly hard, but you have a limited amount of time before the decal adheres.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTNOS said:
i ordered the same one, its in my hall closet awaiting a car to put it on.... you said you used water?? is it a water based decal or is it a "sticker" with adhesive backing? what did you use for a heat source (heat gun?) also did you get any care instructions??? i didnt get anything with mine... just the panel:?:
Yes, it was a adhesive vinyl sticker, and 'stlwagon' explained it quite well on how you would apply the decal. It was a heat gun and I didn't have to apply that much heat, a hair dryer would probabely work as well. I didn't get any instructions with mine either and I also didn't get any transfer tape on mine, which is "strongly" reccommended. Can't see putting it on without it, will end up just throwing it away. I took mine to a local sign business and they applied some on it for me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
NorthernStang said:
Yes, it was a adhesive vinyl sticker, and 'stlwagon' explained it quite well on how you would apply the decal. It was a heat gun and I didn't have to apply that much heat, a hair dryer would probabely work as well. I didn't get any instructions with mine either and I also didn't get any transfer tape on mine, which is "strongly" reccommended. Can't see putting it on without it, will end up just throwing it away. I took mine to a local sign business and they applied some on it for me.
okay, maybe im stupid, you lost me....:dunce: :dunce: "Transfer Tape?" whats that and why do i need it??? help me out here man, I dont want to fugg it up......:eyebulge:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GTNOS said:
okay, maybe im stupid, you lost me....:dunce: :dunce: "Transfer Tape?" whats that and why do i need it??? help me out here man, I dont want to fugg it up......:eyebulge:
Transfer tape is a tape that is on the face of the decal, it's larger than the decal so when you remove the backing tape on the decal you can hold onto the transfer tape without getting your fingers on the sticky surface of the decal and it also helps in getting the decal on nice and straight.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
thanks guys, really appreciate the info..... no im not so worried about sticking that on my 06 when i get it (hopefully in about 4 weeks) :eyepoppin

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed a plastic blackout panel last week. My good friend is a master tech at the local Lincoln/Mercury dealership. They took a 2005 Mustang GT on trade with a "three" piece left tail light, right tail light and center cover plastic blackout kit. He said it wouldnt pass NC state inspection with the light covers on so they took all three off. He called me and ask if I wanted them. Sure I said. Its shiney and looks like its painted on from a little distance. With the dark tinted windows it makes for a good mod. :smoke:

I only installed the center piece. It uses double sided tape and sticks right on. I think the dark tail light covers make the car look cheap but with only the center piece installed it looks classy. No pics yet but I will post some soon.

Jeff

·
Registered
867 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts