Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2012 Mustang GT Premium Convertible that I bought brand-new in late 2011. Over the past 9 years, it has been a great car, but does not get driven as much as it should, as it only just passed 13,000 miles. Except for replacing the battery last year (Motorcraft battery from a Ford dealer), I have not had to replace anything, and everything is stock.

On a recent uneventful drive to work, I was listening to the radio when it suddenly cut out. I then looked at the center screen (stock navigation screen with Sync) and saw that there were a bunch of vertical "lines" going across the screen. When I got to work and went to back into my parking space, I had no backup camera. I shut off the car and restarted it. This time, the screen was a purple-ish color, with the same issue. When I left work, the screen was now blank white, which it has been ever since. I tried pulling and reinstalling fuse #14, and even disconnecting the battery for an entire day, but nothing so far has helped. Needless to say, I have no radio, no navigation, no camera, no clock, temp, and even some climate controls. I never thought about how much goes through this screen until it stopped working!

Now here is the "full disclosure" part. I mentioned that the car was completely stock. and that was true - until a few months ago when I decided to try a custom tune. I purchased an SCT X4 programmer with a "canned" tune online from a well-known tuning company. Like, one of the biggest. I hesitate to mention the name only because they were very nice to deal with and I don't want to blame this issue on them as it may not be related in any way. But, I have to mention it because I loaded the tune about 3 months ago, and it was loaded when this happened. The tune has been great for throttle response, which is the main reason I got it. It's not an aggressive tune, just a 91 Octane tune to help with the throttle response.

So, that being said, I reloaded the stock tune, disconnected the battery again for another day and still no luck. I'd hate to think it has anything to do with the tune but I'm reaching out to see if anyone might know anything about this. I know this post is very long, and I apologize. I'm new to the site, and I don't know how much background information is necessary to provide in asking for help/advice. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. I can provide more information if needed as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have you tried resetting the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module)?

With the car in the accessory mode. Hold down the power button and seek (forward) button on the console unit at the same time until the Ford logo appears.

If you get the system to come back on then you should check the ford website for updates on your sync version. Then download and install the update if there is one.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely try this! I thought that disconnecting the battery was a last resort, or “catch all” but did not know about this. I was truly hoping it wasn't the tune that did this, and I assumed the worst after the battery disconnect didn’t work - and reading horror stories online this week about $1000 APIM replacements... I know it’s an older version of SYNC, and I’m embarrassed to say that I have never updated it from the website in the 9 years I’ve had the car. Again, so much for the advice and I will post with how this goes!

Hello Kraig1957. Thanks again for the advice. Unfortunately it didn’t work, so it looks like my options now are pretty limited... anyway, thanks and take care.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
@Foxbird

Welcome to AFM!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts