Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so at the beginning of this week tuning on my car began. With my cams and supercharger, the cams are way too much. There is no drive ability on the car. The car gets sent into limp mode if you press the gas to hard, this is because in order to get the car to run it either works at 0-20% throttle or 100%. There is no in between. If you press the gas to 25%, the throttle is considered to be WOT and the computer is all kinds of confused. There is either, daily driving or WOT drag racing, no in between. This has been confirmed by 3 different tuners. Car only makes 376 hp and 340 torque at most. With driveable tune, it was only in the 360's and 325 torque. My main question for everyone, is if anyone has or has seen cams with a saleen supercharger. I drive the car everyday so I need something that is good at low RPMs with a decent idle.

Any suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
What 3 tuners are you dealing with? sounds like they don't know crap about part throttle tuning.. What software SCT, Diablo? Do you Really think your the only person that's done this Supercharger/cam combo?
If it created this condition every time there would be an uproar, get what I'm trying to say?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What 3 tuners are you dealing with? sounds like they don't know crap about part throttle tuning.. What software SCT, Diablo? Do you Really think your the only person that's done this Supercharger/cam combo?
If it created this condition every time there would be an uproar, get what I'm trying to say?
Well I do know i am one of few that has been stupid enough to do this. The cams I have have a ridiculous duration along with a low LSA and it causes for 1) Loss in boost because of the overlap 2) Limits how we can tune the motor due to the limitations of the cam.

We are using the HP Tuner though and the SCT to monitor some of the fuel trims. And as for the tuners, I have my full faith in them. They might not be big name tuners that people on this site would know, but I have seen a lot of their work and I know they do good work.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The lobe separation angle on those cams is actually about perfect for s/c engines (it's 109 degrees). The problem is elsewhere IMO.

Edit: maybe they screwed up your phaser limiters?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lobe separation angle on those cams is actually about perfect for s/c engines (it's 109 degrees). The problem is elsewhere IMO.

Edit: maybe they screwed up your phaser limiters?
It spent 3 months at Comp Cams trying to get the solution fixed and they confirmed that the phasers are good.

Edit: How is 109 LSA perfect for superchargers? Blower cams should be atleast 114 from what I hear

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
How is 109 LSA perfect for superchargers? Blower cams should be atleast 114 from what I hear
My comp cams vsr 127350's have a lsa of 109.5. Makes 678 rwhp with smooth idle, no phaser mods, etc.

Forensicsteve has a much wilder, spring and phaser mod required cam (127650, I believe?) with a lsa of 113. Buttloads more power obviously :bigthumbsup

Even sqidd runs the STOCK cams on his KB blown 700 rwhp car, going for 200 mph!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My comp cams vsr 127350's have a lsa of 109.5. Makes 678 rwhp with smooth idle, no phaser mods, etc.

Forensicsteve has a much wilder, spring and phaser mod required cam (127650, I believe?) with a lsa of 113. Buttloads more power obviously :bigthumbsup

Even sqidd runs the STOCK cams on his KB blown 700 rwhp car, going for 200 mph!
I thought that the comp 127350 had a 116.5 lsa... Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I thought that the comp 127350 had a 116.5 lsa... Or am I missing something?
You're absolutely right - they do. All this time I thought they were 109, duh.

Sorry.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just thinking the stage 1 blower cams from comp cams. Anyone have any experience with those?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You could get the Detroit rockers blower grind. But they keep the specs under wrap. since you already have the spring upgrade you could get the 127300 or the 127350 like hubkap. I think you could also keep the VCT lockouts.( but I'm not certain) If you order them from Brenspeed, I believe they give you a free canned tune that could straighten out your problem if the problem is in the tune. That way your tuner could fine tune from there.

Brenspeed has a saleen of their own so they would know the capability of what your car can and will do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could get the Detroit rockers blower grind. But they keep the specs under wrap. since you already have the spring upgrade you could get the 127300 or the 127350 like hubkap. I think you could also keep the VCT lockouts.( but I'm not certain) If you order them from Brenspeed, I believe they give you a free canned tune that could straighten out your problem if the problem is in the tune. That way your tuner could fine tune from there.

Brenspeed has a saleen of their own so they would know the capability of what your car can and will do.
That seems to be the best option at the moment to be honest. I was just wondering how the drive ability of the cams were.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That seems to be the best option at the moment to be honest. I was just wondering how the drive ability of the cams were.
I think that depends on gear selection, since the cam rpm range is 950-6400. What ratio do you have?

Here is a link to help you decide on LSA

Technical Specs & Information

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
174 Posts
Right now I have the stock 3.55's
I just looked at the comp cams website and they mention 3.90 gears + 3000 stall for the 127300 and only 3000 stall for 127350. This may be a typo but if it isn't the 127350 may be more drivable. Hope this helps.

B
0 Posts
I have the 127300s on a twin screw with 3.55s and can roll out from a dead stop without having to even touch the gas...and it pulls like a freight train even in 4th gear from 2,000 rpms. Cant go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the 127300s on a twin screw with 3.55s and can roll out from a dead stop without having to even touch the gas...and it pulls like a freight train even in 4th gear from 2,000 rpms. Cant go wrong with either one!
That's good to hear!!! I've been trying to decide between the 127300 and the 127350 it's kinda like deciding between Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox. Either way you win but you could be left wondering what its like to be with the other one LOL :im confused:

B
0 Posts
That's good to hear!!! I've been trying to decide between the 127300 and the 127350 it's kinda like deciding between Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox. Either way you win but you could be left wondering what its like to be with the other one LOL :im confused:

Nice analogy! But I would rather have to decided between those two then a set of cams any day!

The 127300 is very popular amongst tuners because it works. I have heard from one of these tuners you may lose a little boost out the back door on the exhaust side with the 127350s. Sqidd and hubkap went with the 127350s. Sounds like hubkap made some reall good power and is content with them for now. Sqidd should have his car back together and on the dyno soon for results that will probably confirm hubkap's assessment.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Nice analogy! But I would rather have to decided between those two then a set of cams any day!

The 127300 is very popular amongst tuners because it works. I have heard from one of these tuners you may lose a little boost out the back door on the exhaust side with the 127350s. Sqidd and hubkap went with the 127350s. Sounds like hubkap made some reall good power and is content with them for now. Sqidd should have his car back together and on the dyno soon for results that will probably confirm hubkap's assessment.
I must have missed what cams your running???

Your currently “locked out”?

What kind of boost?

I was “locked out” but the car didn’t run like I wanted it to and it seems that a lot of tuners (mine especially) are starting to lean more toward running 20deg limiters. So I put the limiters in.

Another variable is cam timing. Now that I have done it on my car I can see where there are all sorts of potential issues with getting correct cam timing during installation. Its done all the time but after experiencing all the variables in our fairly complex cam timing I would never put cams in without checking timing (not just lining up the marks).

The 127300’s and 127350’s are almost identical. The only real significant difference is that the 127350’s have 10deg more duration on the exhaust which in theory is good for a boosted motor because boost doesn’t push exhaust out.

Way up top there may be slightly more boost loss with the 127350’s (not just because of the duration) but I could see it being hard to prove out it would be so minor. That being said the 127300’s will lend themselves better to a smaller displacement blower and the 127350’s to a larger one. For example even at 700hp my KB is still not out of its sweet spot so if it looses a little boost I can just spin the blower a bit faster. If you are already spinning the blower as fast as it will go you can’t make up for that small lost of boost. I’m splitting hairs here though.

I’ve driven [email protected]’s car a lot and I concur that you can pull away from a dead stop by just letting the clutch out without touching the gas. It’s as drivable as an F-350 Diesel!

I have to admit that I got the 127350’s because [email protected] has the 127300’s and I was curious what, if any difference could be detected in them. I figured both cams would suit my needs just fine.:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts