Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installled a DNX7100 in my 2006 Mustang GT. Got it all hooked up and works fine (in my lap) until I put the unit in place in the dash. As soon as the unit is in place the main radio fuse 20A blows. I take the unit out check all of the wiring, replace the fuse, all works well, put the unit in the dash and the fuse blows again. This has happened 5 times. Anyone out there who may have a solution? :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
you should use the 12-16AWG wire butt connectors theyre red and you should crimp them good and then tape over them. from personal experiance it sounds like you have taped the wires because you where excited or somthing and 1 of the wires is eaither touching metal or another wire and is poping the fuse.. go back over your connections with the adapter.. it should be a very easy process make sure all your green/purp/white/grey speaker wires are matching right. red remote yellow power black ground and the blue/remote wire shouldnt matter unless you have a amp so just tape over that.. that could be shorting out somewhere

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Sounds like it is shorting out on something. Check all of your connections again make sure they are good.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Try keeping the fuse out until you have placed the unit back in and secured. Then put the fuse back in and check. It might be grounding out (blowing fuse.) while your wiggling in around in to place. If it still blows check the wires. Tape them (to make them stiffer.) then repeat above step. If you still have problems might just need a bigger fuse. But keep in mind you ALWAYS want to use the smallest amped fuse for your application. Keeps the risks down to a minimum! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
oo make sure your putting the same amp fuse in the radio.. if it requires 30amp dont put 20in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try keeping the fuse out until you have placed the unit back in and secured. Then put the fuse back in and check. It might be grounding out (blowing fuse.) while your wiggling in around in to place. If it still blows check the wires. Tape them (to make them stiffer.) then repeat above step. If you still have problems might just need a bigger fuse. But keep in mind you ALWAYS want to use the smallest amped fuse for your application. Keeps the risks down to a minimum! Good Luck!
Took your advice and kept the fuse out until everything was in place and secured. This worked well. Just before I put the dash back together I noticed a bare spot in the main power wire splice in the harness. Taped this up so should not have any future issues. System works great.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No problem man glad I could actually help someone here. Most of the time it's me needing the help!:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.