Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey buds – new here and glad to be onboard this great site! I’m considering getting a new manual GT, and then moddin’ it right off the bat – Vortech s/c., intake, exhaust, wheels, body pieces.

With the performance mods I mentioned above, I should be making around 420+ rwhp right, which is more than the new baseline C6 Vettes. At this point (given the same driver skill) would it pretty much an easy kill straight line, light to light?

Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
DirtyWaters said:
Hey buds – new here and glad to be onboard this great site! I’m considering getting a new manual GT, and then moddin’ it right off the bat – Vortech s/c., intake, exhaust, wheels, body pieces.

With the performance mods I mentioned above, I should be making around 420+ rwhp right, which is more than the new baseline C6 Vettes. At this point (given the same driver skill) would it pretty much an easy kill straight line, light to light?

Thanks y’all!
If money isn't an option go with which ever car you'll be happier driving. You could take a pinto and turn it into a 8 second car, so performance really isn't and issue if you're going to tune it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I believe it will be close, but you should win that one. Most people I've seen in vettes can't drive anyway (those old reflexes:happyhapp )

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get the Mustang. Get the Mustang that you want though. Don't ever look out of your window and see another Mustang and say, "I wish that I would have gotten one like that".
And by the way, if you are lucky enough to have gotten the one that you want, and a person looks out of their window and thinks, "I wish I would have gotten one like yours"...Have empathy.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I love the look of the 05 Mustang but if I could afford either one Id have to go with the Vette.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm sure powerwise I'd go with the vette. But I've seen the interior of the vette, and i tihnk it's just blah compare to the old school interior of the stang. Plus I tihnk the engine sounds better in the mustang, so overall it's a more fun car to drive and it feels great too. Plus you'll get more looks in the stang than the vette if thats what you're thinking ;-)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Nothing in the original post about picking a new Mustang or a new Vette; just want to know if the Mustang would be quicker.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No. The Mustang is way too heavy. Like racing with 3 friends in your car. Figure in also the Vette's Z-51 gear ratio's of the transmission along with ring and pinion. Oh, you can always mod a car enough to beat a Vette, but then the unskilled Vette driver isn't even breaking out in a sweat. He or she is not saddled with a rabid animal. They don't even pay the "Gas guzzler tax".

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
fugg the vette! a new vette is an old mans car. something you buy yourself as a retirement gift. vette=no style mustang=stylin' besides, for the price difference you can find aftermarket parts to keep up maybe even smoke a c6. ('cept for maybe that damn Z06) rumor on that is 650 HP, but only super rich old geezers who can plop down 70K+ will be able to afford it, and then they'll never drive it over 40mph, so technically, your still faster.:laughlitt

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
GTNOS said:
fugg the vette! a new vette is an old mans car. something you buy yourself as a retirement gift. vette=no style mustang=stylin' besides, for the price difference you can find aftermarket parts to keep up maybe even smoke a c6. ('cept for maybe that damn Z06) rumor on that is 650 HP, but only super rich old geezers who can plop down 70K+ will be able to afford it, and then they'll never drive it over 40mph, so technically, your still faster.:laughlitt
The Z06 has 505 hp: great car, nice price as well, if compared to other cars with the same hp...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Right, but the ZO6 is not a drag racing car. It is built to handle as well as accelerate. The new ZO6 turned some of the fastest lap times around the Nurburgring in Germany of any production car in the world. A 600 HP (or 700, or 800...) mustang wouldn't come close.

The corvette is not in the same league as the mustang, but you can certainly make a Mustang be just as fast in a straight line. Around corners, forget it...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
The 400 HP 06 is fast! I would NOT like to line up next to one! I don't think it's much lighter though... could look it up but am going on feel driving them both... The Vette comes with big wheels to and should grip pretty good without drags...

A 420 RWHP S197 with tires and an okay driver must beat a stock Vette (400 at the crank), but cornering or braking you'll wish you were in the Vette, awesome car, cars, both are. My thinking and plan was that I'd rather pay 40K for a 600 HP Stang built to my specs, than 55K for a car everybody knows what can do...

Now with the 505 HP version I don't know... That's allot of power, and brute dispacement low end power at that!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Still, two different cars; go drive a C5/C6, Z06 - very sweet indeed (as are M3's, Audi S4's, etc.) - Lots of nice toys out there.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
even if you do get beat by the vette, you still got more style in the mustang, and more $$$ in your wallet. i see lots of C6s already and few people comment or even seem to notice them. cornering is nice, but im not going to euro-race my mustang. it is a muscle car. has always been. hopefully will always be. so i could care less about superior handling. it is comparing apples to oranges b/c the vette doesnt even compete with the stang. GM announced it themselves that thier vette competes now with all the euros....BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lotus, etc. hence the new euro styling of the vette. that is its market place. what does crack me up is every time i read a comparison article on the vette competing with the euros, it still gets its ass spanked every time. heck, the only american car that can even keep up with the euros is the Viper, and from what i have been reading here of late, it is losing ground. :sterb:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't know...the ZO6 is faster than almost all of the european cars out there, including most exotics. It completed the Nurburgring Nordschleife in 7:42 - better than: Porsche 996 GT2, Pagani Zonda S, Lambo Murcielago, Lambo Gallardo, Mercedes SLR McLaren, and Viper GTS. The only car listed that is faster is the $400,000 Porsche Carrera GT. (September 2005 Car and Driver)

You're right - the Corvette was never meant to compete with the mustang. That's the point I was getting at earlier. Why worry about 'em? I think the vette is a great car, and that it's good to see how an american car can compete with the rest of the exotics. The mustang isn't about that, and it never will. I prefer my mustang...:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, we are correct. We don't want to be like them but they have some good points. I would've enjoyed the heated seats here in Michigan this morning. And the "heads up display" is so cool.
And they look at us when we pass too. We are daring. We shake the pin-ball machine. And we still slide into the base in the ball game.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Dea. R&E said:
I would've enjoyed the heated seats here in Michigan this morning.
I'm having them installed this coming week... looking fwd to it! $450 for custom fitted (covers a larger area), high, low, off switch, installed... good deal I think!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.