Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew a rear tire on my 05 GT yesterday on 101 in Redwood City going 65mph. Totally shredded just getting to the shoulder. Hit nothing. 20k miles on it with very little wear. P-Zero Nero stock 17" tire.

Question is can I just replace the one tire or should I replace two since it has 20k miles on the other side? Also if I have to replace two should I bite the bullet and replace all four? Not sure what to do? Should I just put two bigger ones in the back for now? The P-Zeros were ok but now I do not trust them after this one failed for no apparent reason.

If the forum feels I should do all four what is the best choice for driving over highway 92 everyday from Half Moon Bay to Santa Clara. I need something as quiet as the P-zeros but better performance would be great. Also will wider tires kill my MPG which is about 22 average right now with the Preadtor 91 octane performance tune.

Thanks everyone!

MSB Mustang

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your blowout! Sorry I don't have a recomendation for you. What happened to the control of the car when it happened? I drive much faster than that a lot, as my car is in Europe, so the idea of a blowout at say 100MPH is a bit worrisome I'm wondering if this is a freak incident, or has anyone else had a Pirelli blowout? I thought they were really good tires.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The first thing is to determine why the tire blew.

If the tire overheated due to the loss of air over time you will see the inside of the tire falling appart. This will tell you that the pressure was low. If a tire delaminates, meaning it loses the tread but the steeel belts and air chamber remains intact it's delamination. I would call the manufacturer and I would change all 4 tires. Can you say Firestone?

I had a pickup truck tire delaminate on me 4 years ago. I was pulled into the grassy center of a highway and then thrown across 2 lanes of traffic. It also took out the whole quarter panel from the tread slapping around and around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going around 75 when I heard a thumping sound and I drove another 1/4 mile while pulling over from the fast lane to the slow lane across 4 lanes of traffic. Was going to get off at the Ralston exit In Belmont but the vibration got too bad so I stopped about 200 yards from the exit.

The side wall was totally torn and seperated from the wheel with the center section of the sidewall still attached to the wheel. Inside the tire was lots of small pieces of rubber that were very gooey even after three hours or so. I did not feel the car hit anything nor did I see anything in the road. However I did not check it to see if it was low on air before I got into the car. That is not something I do very often but maybe I should from now on.

Spent many hours online deciding what to do tomorrow. With just 20k on the tires I hate to buy four new ones but I fear adding one new tire to three with 20k miles is not good either and I don't want another tire failure.

It was a rear tire so I did not loose control and was easily able to get to the shoulder from the fast lane. Left a trail of smoke so other drivers were getting out of my way.

MSB Mustang

·
Registered
622 Posts
thump_rrr said:
Can you say Firestone?
I've never been real impressed with the Pzero Neros either. Were it up to me I'd go shopping for two new tires for the back. Maybe some 255/50s. 4 if you can afford it

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow...I wish I could get 20k out of a set of tires. Front wheel drive destoys them.

But BFG makes a great tire. it doesnt have to be a KDW either some of their other kinds will work great.

Michellin Pilot Sport cups....i think thats what they are. Are supposed to be kick ass too.

I would definitly replace both of the backs fi I were you and save you from worse problems later on. Sory about the bad tire man

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic I just took of the failure.

Do 255 50's mess up the speedometer? What Brand would be the best for performace and noise? Also how will the wider tires effect MPG?

I have been looking at the Michelin Pilot MXM4's Which come in that width.
And another one I found on the wed is the BF Goodrich gforce_ta_kdws 255 50ZR17?

It would be much cheaper just to replace the one tire but I drive 100 miles every day and I think it would bother me knowing/feeling that one tire was slightly different than the other three.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry everyone but the pics did not post because they were too large. Here are 2 of them in a smaller format.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nitto

Martimus,

Sorry but I didn't notice at the bottom of your response you had the Nittos.
I was curious how they compared with the stock P-Zeros and what you thought about road noise before and after you changed them.

Thanks

MSB Mustang

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm no expert but it looks like it overheated due to low air pressure to me.
A closer inspection once it's off the rim may find the source of the problem.
Maybe stoenr can better answer this question.
I believe he manages a tire shop.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would check the owners manual.There is a small booklet on warranties and your tire problem should come under workmanship and material,or something to that effect.I'd be visiting the dealer who sold you the car.They may replace it Then you could buy some time and get the tires you really want.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Blown P-Zero Nero at 75.

Looks like a loss of air pressure to me. The sidewall was probably cut by the rim as you were trying to decellerate and move to the shoulder.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wow ironic lol friend was just sayin i should be careful goin 140 on my stock pirelli's and here you are blowin yours, but mine only have 2k miles

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am off the the local Ford Dealer to fight for a warranty repair. Probably no chance but the car needs it's 20k service anyway. Anyone have any more thoughts on 4 replacement tires?

Thanks,

MSB Mustang

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If they cannot find the cause of failure (punture) then they should warranty it. But 99% of the time I find a punture hole somewhere in the tread.
I love it when new car owners come in with this same issue. hollering its under warranty! and we find a nail hole. Have a nice day.

R/R is the most common for flats also, 75% of ours are RR

I would just get 1 tire if the others are 50% or better on tread, otherwise 2 rears, or go for gold and upgrade all 4 to a larger size. It will not effect MPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
johney5 said:
I'm wondering if this is a freak incident, or has anyone else had a Pirelli blowout? I thought they were really good tires.
I had a similar blowout on my VW R32 a few weeks ago. Same conditions (around 75 mph) and same result, except that it was the inner sidewall that got shredded.

I actually attribute the destruction of the sidewall to running on it when the tire was fully deflated. I doubt that in either case the sidewall failed to the extent that the pictures would lead you to believe.

In my case, there was no evidence of a puncture, and I do check my pressures weekly. But I still have a fair degree of confidence in the P-Zero Nero and will keep running them until I'm convinced otherwise. My belief is that I probably picked up something that caused my pressure to drop, leading to overheating and failure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My P-Zero Corsa's appear to have the first signs of tread separation also. The inside shoulder of one has a 12 inch tear with the steal belt fraying out. Most expensive tires I have ever bought :sosad: WTF? On tirerack's web site there is a review of this Pirelli and another failure, right down the middle of his. Several years ago I read an article about Pirelli implementing a new machine at their where house that produced a tire from start to finish 10x (or something) faster than the old method of producing tires. Maybe faster/better/cheaper turned out to be faster/POS tire/no cost saving to consumer?:sterb:

·
Registered
886 Posts
bailiff said:
Looks like a loss of air pressure to me. The sidewall was probably cut by the rim as you were trying to decellerate and move to the shoulder.
LOL!! Yep, that's why they went flat! Lost all the air pressure!!!!!!

I'm sure you meant they were under inflated, resulting in failure, but if you read it right....:winks :laughlitt :laughlitt

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.