Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner device to report real time engine status as well as to read and clear codes. I really liked it but since I have a 6mt, I had to be careful not to push it with my leg when I shifted gears. A few months ago I found a micro Bluetooth OBD2 device but was a little skeptical whether it would work. However, over time, the price dropped to less than $10 so I figured I'd try it and if it didn't work, I wouldn't have lost anything.

Anyway, it works great! I use it with my Torque app.. So for less than $20 you can have similar functionality to some devices that cost up to $200.

The Scanner:
Amazon.com: AGPtek® Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool: Automotive

Torque App:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

·
Registered
343 Posts
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, that's how awesome it is lol. It's the smallest I could find.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anyone know of an Iphone App that can do this?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked for an ipad equivalent app so I could use it as a display but haven't found one. The creator of the android torque app says he won't develop an iOS version.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
FYI: ELM, the company that makes the ELM 327 chip, has never released a firmware version 1.5. The latest they're using is FW v1.4. Any chip that says it's using v1.5 is basically guaranteed to be a counterfeit chip.

What's worse is that the only firmware version ELM made that didn't have built-in security - and therefore is the one that is counterfeited the most (99.999%) is v1.0, the original firmware, and that wasn't used for very long because it was so buggy, slow, and prone to errors.

Some of you may get lucky and get one that works well, but odds are pretty good your adapter will either never work right, or stop working right fairly soon. Just be aware of that when you're amazed at that incredible $10 deal on the adapter.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dude, that's such a good find it's not even funny. Thanks! I have a dedicated phone that I keep in my car that tracks my performance and movement and also records video while I drive, so this will be a great addition!!

I just bought this one: Amazon.com: BrainyTrade Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool: Automotive

And yeah, I did look up the counterfeit information and usually I'm greatly opposed to Chinese ripoffs but for half the price and size they are pretty much winning. ELM had all day to shrink their chip down and reduce costs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that I'm disputing what you are saying, but basically v1.5 is a Bluetooth adaptation of the ELM327 signal vs over RS232. That's basically it. You can tell which ones are properly reverse engineered if the have very high reviews. AGPTek based out of NY sells a bunch of stuff, probably sourced out of China, pretty much like most of the crap in WalMart. I agree, you pay $10 on the cheap stuff and you take your chances, but I think this is a pretty safe buy. At that price I can buy 20 of them for the price of one "official" one and give them to my family and friends.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, that's such a good find it's not even funny. Thanks! I have a dedicated phone that I keep in my car that tracks my performance and movement and also records video while I drive, so this will be a great addition!!

I just bought this one: Amazon.com: BrainyTrade Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Tool: Automotive

And yeah, I did look up the counterfeit information and usually I'm greatly opposed to Chinese ripoffs but for half the price and size they are pretty much winning. ELM had all day to shrink their chip down and reduce costs.
My Jeep periodically gets a CEL for a "gross air leak" that doesn't exist. I also used this device to read and clear the codes as well as test torque out on it. It reads all the data in fast mode as well and spits out accurate numbers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Been looking into this as well, but was put off by the chinese knock offs. Sounds like you guys are getting better luck so I'll have to watch this thread.

So Torque is the android app of choice for OBD2 interface?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Torque is pretty awesome. I have to clear a CEL about every six weeks. It also performs logging and has a video and mapping function (haven't tried it) for when you go to the track so you can compare car system data at various points in the track or lap. At least that's my understanding. You can also create themes if you do not like the displays. I plan to create a GT500 theme and will share once I complete it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As much as these cars and mods cost, I can't believe you guys can't shell out 80-100 bucks for a KIWI adapter. If your CPU burns up or your app works like ****, blame yourself. To me thats the equevilent of running dollar store motor-oil and saying the car runs just fine. You usually get what you pay for.

I've been running torue pro on multiple cars(w/ KIWI), and also have a dedicated phone for it. Its a great app, and is light years ahead of TRACK APPS.

For those of you knocking into the adapter, move your seat back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have my old GNEX sitting here maybe Ill mount it some where haha.
Can I have a link to the KIWI?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As much as these cars and mods cost, I can't believe you guys can't shell out 80-100 bucks for a KIWI adapter. If your CPU burns up or your app works like ****, blame yourself. To me thats the equevilent of running dollar store motor-oil and saying the car runs just fine. You usually get what you pay for.

I've been running torue pro on multiple cars(w/ KIWI), and also have a dedicated phone for it. Its a great app, and is light years ahead of TRACK APPS.

For those of you knocking into the adapter, move your seat back.
Explain how this would burn my PCM up. I don't see how that's possible. All it does is read data being sent to the ODB outlet and then relay it to my phone via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well I just bought it, Lets see what happens!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you'll love it. Most of the plug ins for Torque are free.

It's not about being cheap as someone earlier stated, it's about not getting ripped off. I wouldn't recommend something if I thought another forum member would get screwed. As you can see from the seller I purchased from, nearly all the buyers are happy with the device as am I. There isn't anything it can do to mess up your car, other than maybe drain your battery if you leave it plugged in for several weeks without driving your car. If this device has a drawback, it is that it doesn't have an auto power off switch. But IMO that's a small price to pay considering only one other device actually does that and costs $190 more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts