Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing them last night. Really surprised at how crappy the fitment was. I started with the driver's side and could not get the LCA to slide in for the life of me. I thought maybe I had air trapped in the busing, kept taking it apart and trying to put it back together and slide it in with no luck. Finally I pulled out the LCA and the bracket and took a look at them on the bench. I was able to get the exact same LCA in to the passenger side bracket without a problem so I figured the relo brackets was not spread out enough. Had to get out the caveman tools and spread the sides apart enough to get the LCA in and finally I was golden.

BTW, for anyone that will eventually be installing LCA's and a reloc bracket, I found it easier to put the LCA and bracket together first, then mount the relo bracket on the car, then use a jack on the diff to position the front mounting point of the LCA and slide the last bolt through.

After that fiasco, I found that the back part of the passenger side bracket was bent too far. I wasn't able to slide the mount bolt through the bracket and mount point. Had to pull it off again and whack it with a hammer a few times to get it to bend back far enough to line up with the hole on the mount point.

Both of these things were relatively minor and easy enough fixes, but it seems like a company making these parts would have a bit better QC or at least make mention that they might need to be massaged in order to fit. Customizing custom parts is a bit annoying sometimes. Had me wondering if my LCA assembly was botched or what was going wrong for a while... :frustrated:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have seen.

I have seen others go through the same thing with other brands as well. I do have a question are your LCA's also from BMR and what style.
This could be one of those things fabricated to meet the needs of different LCA's so the flare or width of the bracket is set the middle of the road. That was one thing I have noticed with After Market parts the lack of a standard when it comes to directions and installation steps. I have viewed Super Charger installation sheets and it looks like a 9th grader 1st year shop student wrote it.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have read this many times about their brackets. I'll be looking elsewhere when it comes time to buy. No excuse for not being able to set up a simple jig for welding and test fitting them before shipment. Someone might say it's the tolerance on our cars but I don't buy that because I don't see the same problems with other brands.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, they are J&M street's with the poly-ball bushings. I thought maybe that was the case as well but when you thingk about it, the relo brackets are supposed to be able to be used with the stock hardware as well, and the LCA's are meant to mount in the stock location, so theoretically everything should be the same size. And with the same LCA fitting in one bracket easily but not in the other, it shows that the brackets were two different widths.

Some type of flare on the edge of the bracket would have been nice though and very helpful when sliding the LCA in, these were just flat pieces of metal welded and powder coated together.

Yeah, the instructions are pretty funny sometimes. My J&M control arm installation instructions, although well written, were simply a printout of a guide that someone wrote up on some forums and they adopted to use in their kit!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have the BMR reloc's...I wouldn't recommend them. Don't get me wrong, once their installed and welded, they're fine. But getting them on was an 8 hour job because they did not fit. I hated every minute of that install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the CHE. Good quality and while tolerances were tight and it took a bit of (persuasion-rubber mallet) the final fit was very good.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I have the BMR reloc's...I wouldn't recommend them. Don't get me wrong, once their installed and welded, they're fine. But getting them on was an 8 hour job because they did not fit. I hated every minute of that install.
I tried to suggest the Chepeformance.com parts to you. They are the best in my opinion out there.
To the OP and all about to get these mods please learn from this and get Che parts, Chuck is a great guy to work with also. I installed the UCA (Adjustable),LCA`S and relocation brackets in 3 hours and welded them in in a 1/2 an hour.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The number of LCA, UCA, and relo bracket posts are a bit overwhelming. I had read a ton but hadn't come across any discouraging the use of BMR. I honestly didn't care who I went with as I didn't think there would be much difference in brands, they all basically do the same thing. With so many guys out there using BMR stuff, thought they'd be fine, and since I found an open-box auction for them on e-bay for a great price, I got them. Knowing what I know now though, I'd definitely get a different brand. Hopefully someone else who hasn't bought relo's yet will happen to see this and get the warning ahead of time.

I absolutely wanted the J&M control arms though, the poly-ball bushings seem to be a no-trade-offs design.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have the BMR uca, lca's, and relo brackets and didn't encounter any real issues installing any of it. That was a couple years ago though, so perhaps their manufacturing process has gotten sloppy? I dunno...

In any case, sorry to hear of these issues. Installation of parts such as these should definitely be straightforward - no ifs, ands, or buts!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I tried to suggest the Chepeformance.com parts to you. They are the best in my opinion out there.
I had a short window to get the parts and instal them and I believe when I went to look at CHE, they were sold out of the brackets. I did pick up a Upper Control Arm from them which I really like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts