Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was searching, but without any results, for the classic Mustang ´64-´73 body metal parts gaps dimensions. I mean the range between the fenders and the doors, between hood / trunk lid and the fenders... between the bumpers and the valances.
Do anybody know how Ford size it?
Do You have some reference website address about this matter?
I have read some explanation like all Mustangs was hand-made vehicles and the metal gap distances was not specific keeping for all. This answer don´t quiet me. :headscratch:
Do You have the same experinces?
Many thanks... :smartass::wavey

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
To be honest these are mass production cars so the gaps very a lot.I would just eye ball it if they look good let it be if its too big or too tight then you work on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've have seen people make a gap shim from a piece of wood that they use to keep the gaps straight and even along the length of the joint between two panels. The gap could be different for each joint on the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mass production means sloppy work on cars that sold well.
Well, that's not particularly true. If you've ever seen an original, unrestored and unrepaired vintage Mustang, you would have seen that the gap and panel fit was actually pretty good.

Normally, when poor panel fit is blamed on sloppily built cars and mass production, the real problem is poor fitting reproduction parts or less than adequate installation of sheet metal.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I have seen a lot of mustangs over the years my dad is the 3rd owner of a 71 sport roof the gaps on it is ok but not tight enough for me.Its been repainted in the 80s and they just sprayed it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I used paint stirring sticks to set my gaps when I put it back together.
Matched gaps in this order:
Door to strike plate and bottom
hood to cowl
fender hood and door

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts