Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some opinions from my fellow 05 Mustang owners... If you needed some body repair done, would you trust it to anyone other than a Ford dealer?
I made contact with a guard rail yesterday shortly after it had rained while getting off the interstate. My insurance company says I can take it wherever I want, but are saying there approved facility will have a lifetime warranty and guaranteed results.
Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
will there approved facilityl have a collor mach guarante . tell them you want a Factory pac.( Paint from ford only).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since you dinged up your front body kit, I would suggest investing in a better front body kit, and you will have to cover the cost difference!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am a General Manager for a large chain of body shops in Il.& IN. I would never take any car to a dealer body shop! They do not have the techs that could perform good work,95% of the work that a dealer shop does is just minor adjustments with very little if any paint work. I have yet to hire a tech from a dealer shop that was any good. And as far as asking for a "factory pack" that has long gone to the way side. Todays colors have too many different formulas for each color.When the factory miss pours a tint in the color they do not correct it any more! They make a whole new paint formula.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just my opinion here... If that happened to me the dealer is the last place I would go. Not to bash dealers, I'm sure most of them do nice work, but you never know who's going to be working on it. I'll try to make a long story short here. I had a '01 325i that got rear-ended only a year after I bought it new. I took it to a local guy who does collision work but the real bread and butter of his business is restoring old muscle cars. He put on a new quarter, trunk, bumper cover, and laid paint that looked better than what the factory put on. About two months after that I was talking to a business associate who had his M3 damaged in a parking lot. I told him to take it to George. What happened is he went up to the guy's place to talk to him but just didn't feel comfortable with a small outfit doing the work on his car so he took it to the dealer. He said when he got it back "it looked like a bunch of monkeys painted it." I'm not trying to say your dealer will do a bad job, but I just have a hard time believing they have the same incentive to do a perfect job as would a small shop. The other thing is if you can find a place that does restos you'll probably be able to see some examples of their work. Just my $0.02.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, it's just like shopping any where. Be careful, ask lots of question, and be sure you know what YOU want before you walk into the place. Dealerships spend most of their time working on everything under the hood and under the body, while body shops... well.. you get the idea.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I work in the service department of a Ford dealership and can say the bodymen and painters do outstanding work. The thing you need to look for is what does the work area look like, is it dirty (as in DIRTY!!!) a little dust should be expected. Do they have a spray booth with built in infrared paint dryers. But with that being said there probably are bad dealership bodyshops, but I would NEVER trust my car to Maaco. They are bottom feeders of the body repair business. If you want to know the quality of the work being performed ask to see a newly repaired and paint vehicle. The bodyshop and the service department are seperate departments. But what the bodyshop men can't handle (like engine removal, major suspension piece replacement and so on) the trained techs can handle. My dealership does repair work for other local dealerships,as its no longer necessary for a dealership to have a bodyshop. So anyone that does will only keep it open if its profitable and produces good work. All of the bodyshopmen and painters have "I-CAR" certification, this is equilevant to ASE or factory training. We had a new Mustang that was backed into and the bodyshop replaced the fender (with a Ford factory piece) and when done you would never know it was replaced. The owners of the Mustang knew the fender was replaced, because they saw the idiot salesman back into it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
TallGuy said:
Just my opinion here... If that happened to me the dealer is the last place I would go. Not to bash dealers, I'm sure most of them do nice work, but you never know who's going to be working on it. I'll try to make a long story short here. I had a '01 325i that got rear-ended only a year after I bought it new. I took it to a local guy who does collision work but the real bread and butter of his business is restoring old muscle cars. He put on a new quarter, trunk, bumper cover, and laid paint that looked better than what the factory put on. About two months after that I was talking to a business associate who had his M3 damaged in a parking lot. I told him to take it to George. What happened is he went up to the guy's place to talk to him but just didn't feel comfortable with a small outfit doing the work on his car so he took it to the dealer. He said when he got it back "it looked like a bunch of monkeys painted it." I'm not trying to say your dealer will do a bad job, but I just have a hard time believing they have the same incentive to do a perfect job as would a small shop. The other thing is if you can find a place that does restos you'll probably be able to see some examples of their work. Just my $0.02.

:eek:fftopic Same deal here once w/ an 87" Grand National 2 weeks old, parked far away from a fish market I visit and a van is 2" from the drivers door. The "high as a kite girl friend" karate kicks the door into mine. Long story short … My friends shop can't match the factory orange peel. Sanded, pulled … what a mess. This was before the dent wizards though. I'd search out out and check the hot rod shops, those guy's know where the class paint and body people work :gringreen

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dealer

I had the same damage to my 05 GT, fende. I took mine to dealer auto shop, 05 cars should get new parts, he said. So their putting new fender. Will get results in one week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts