Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
External circumstances unfortunately wrecked the left side of the rear bumper and bent the left side quarter panel on my Mustang.. So far the body shop have straightened out the quarter panel and (because of insurance requirements) got an aftermarket rear bumper that they fitted and then painted. After paint it didn't fit at all, bulging on the left side where the initial damage was and won't fit flush with the QP at all. They of course missed this part and told me the car was ready for pickup but it was obvious that they weren't done quite yet.

After their management had looked at it and the insurance inspector OK:ed it, a real OEM bumper was ordered and put on. Here's the really odd part - this bumper fits even WORSE than the aftermarket one! It should be noted though that the Ford bumper was _not_ painted (as they couldn't return it if it was painted?). The body shop claimed that the aftermarket bumper fit perfectly before paint (but that they cannot prove).

The pictures attached are of the aftermarket bumper after paint (being put on yet again after the Ford bumper was taken off).

Can it be that they got a bad part from Ford, or is it possible that it just won't fit properly before paint (as I've learned that these plastic parts likes to warp during paint/drying)?

Also, none of the clips/brackets have been replaced - no visible damage to them though.

This is getting quite frustrating and I haven't heard that this should be such a huge problem previously?

Any insight would be most appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm no expert but it seems to me that something behind the bumper is not aligned to spec.
I think the body shop is just being lazy and not addressing it.

I would keep on the insurance company and body shop until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Many times when it comes to large plastic parts like these (front and rear bumper cover) it is necessary to use shims in order to align everything properly. This is usually more than the average body shop is willing to do for an insurance job since it is time consuming and finicky.

Hell, my front bumper is misaligned from factory. But these are Fords after all, can't expect too much.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Many times when it comes to large plastic parts like these (front and rear bumper cover) it is necessary to use shims in order to align everything properly. This is usually more than the average body shop is willing to do for an insurance job since it is time consuming and finicky.

Hell, my front bumper is misaligned from factory. But these are Fords after all, can't expect too much.
I was going to say the same thing. My rear bumper cover fit worse than that from the factory. I've had the bumper cover off a couple times for other reasons but haven't been able to align it any better when reinstalling it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to say the same thing. My rear bumper cover fit worse than that from the factory. I've had the bumper cover off a couple times for other reasons but haven't been able to align it any better when reinstalling it.
Thanks for the input!! I've noticed that some of the rental Mustangs I've happened to have driven during business trips the last few years have varied wildly in terms of alignment of bumpers. I just assumed that it was from rental car abuse as mine was very much aligned front and back from the factory (and stayed that way). The only exception is with the front bumper: when the lower part touches the pavement at some ill-conceived parking entrances/exits the bumper may shift a little bit.

I have received pictures of the latest adjustments today, attached below. I haven't yet seen this IRL as I didn't have time to swing by today before the shop closed but it certainly is a major improvement. Maybe this should be considered "good enough" fit given the state some of the other cars came out of the factory?

It's frustrating to have to drive a stupid Dodge rental car in the meantime, waiting for this job to be completed.. :/

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no expert but it seems to me that something behind the bumper is not aligned to spec.
I think the body shop is just being lazy and not addressing it.

I would keep on the insurance company and body shop until you are satisfied.
Yeah it's difficult to know for sure! Could this be an issue with insurance that they in fact won't cover all the work needed?

I'm not sure how the shop gets compensated for their work - they quoted ~$2200 for the job including the new bumper part. This amount has not been updated as of today when speaking with the Mercury adjuster despite the fact that a lot more hours have now been spent. I can only assume they thought the job would have been done in the April 14th to April 22nd time period (it was April 22nd they called and said the car was "ready").

·
Registered
258 Posts
The problem may be the quarter panal and not the bumper cover. I know it looks fixed but it may be off just a heir and you just don't see it with your eyes. This may be the reason the bumper cover doesn't sit right on the car and it may be that you will never get any cover to fit the same as before the wreck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the latest pics look near perfect - I seriously doubt you will do better - but ask them what they did to fix it - then let us know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the latest pics look near perfect - I seriously doubt you will do better - but ask them what they did to fix it - then let us know.

I agree - seems to be a bit of a gap between the panels on the driver side but it looks like they otherwise align just about perfectly. If the paint matches I think I would call it good while your back even.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree - seems to be a bit of a gap between the panels on the driver side but it looks like they otherwise align just about perfectly. If the paint matches I think I would call it good while your back even.
Makes sense, I've been completely under the weather since Sunday so I haven't been able to deal with this yet but I'll check what they did update here.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
They are going to park it out back unless the insurance company tells them otherwise. You are not the customer, the insurance company is the customer and when they final stamp it be ready to have a new strange gap, I don't see them forcing the shop to do more or them being willing to do more. At least in Canada that is how they work.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with others, the latest pics look about right and in tolerance.
The insurance company is responsible for repairing the car to previous condition. I think it's the best you're going to get.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They apparently pushed the brackets under the tail lights out as far as possible and shimmed the top brackets on the quarter panels, then heated and shaped the ends of the plastic bumper.

Hopefully it should be good to go by tomorrow (Friday)!

Reactions: dcottrell6
1 - 13 of 13 Posts