Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a 1967 Mustang Coupe that obviously used to have a vinyl roof - it was removed when I bought it. I'd like to fit another - what do you recommend as bodywork preparation prior to fitting the vinyl? The metalwork is in suprisingly good condition. Many thanks, Kev.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Perform bodywork as if you were going without the vinyl top. The seams on the top will give away any dents and imperfections. Especially if you buy an aftermarket vinyl top as it is thinner than the original.

Make it straight, then epoxy primer and seal then apply the top. Heck, I'd even put about three coats of body color on it to.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If it is the 67? .....be SURE you find those two chrome pieces that fit just behind the quarter window. The ones that are the trim for bottom of the vinyl top.

Those puppies are DIFFICULT to find!! Otherwise prep that top as suggested above as if it will never see a piece of vinyl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic - thanks for the advice - and the head's up on the chrome trim. I'll be checking that out on my next day off! I need to get something onto the metal to protect it, so I'll crack on with paint preparation and primer.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Yeah the trim is hard to get and i always paint the roof like a normal car then put the vinyl over it.The reason they rust out is most auto makers just primered the roofs these cars they thought would only last 10 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts