Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots of the different threads on the turbo swap stuff (basically the same question asked 100 different times and almost always answered the same way), and I know that basically you need the SVO/turbocoupe swap or rebuilt engine with forged internals. I’m sure that this question has also been asked and answered too, but I just couldn’t find a thread. I have a healthy running (as soon as i put in the new DIS module I just ordered) 93 mustang 4cyl 5-speed and I see 2.3L turbo manifolds with turbo for sale for about $75-150 quite often on craigslist. Next time I run across one in good condition I plan on purchasing, but my question is can it be bolted to my car and run with the current stock computer and MAF? I know that the pistons can(‘t) handle close to no boost and I need to plumb the oil lines, but will the computer work with just the manifold and turbo put in with about 4lbs of boost, or will it simply not work? Just having it in the car would probably be somewhat therapeutic for me, and listening to the changed exhaust tone would be great. In the future (next 1 ½-3 yrs; after I finish college next spring at the earliest) I plan on having a built 2.3 turbo set up but I am anxious (you know how it is). My v8 mustang is fun, but there is something about that 2.3 that is so interesting. If you could provide any info and if possible break it down for me I would be greatly appreciative; including fuel and spark modifications if needed with 4ish lbs of boost.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
If you use preamium gas and keep The boost under 5 lbs its OK but thats about it You will need an LA2 or LA3 computer and a VAM to accomplish this. It can be done and i have 2 running for many many years. You just have to be careful on heat and boost numbers. Tom

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
It can be done with loads of tuning. But the turbo motor uses a VAM. The NA motors do not. Its really no big deal just locate an LA3 computer ond a VAM and go for it. Some wiring to do but not much. I have done several and its no big DEAL. Peace Tom

·
Registered
3,898 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
what kind of wiring is needed inorder to make the turbo work with the na motor? I might just slap on the turbo on my coupe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.