Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GT with a MagnaCharger supercharger and want to hook up a boost gauge. I purchased a Cobalt Autometer mechanical vac/boost gauge and have it installed and wired. I ran the tubing through the firewall and now need to connect it to the supercharger. Where is the best place to tee into to provide a good boost signal?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I installed the plastic vacuum tubing on a barb next to the Fuel Pressure Sensor fitting on the intake manifold. It fit perfectly, no splicing in tee's required. However, it's only reading vacuum....not boost. Maybe this isn't the correct place to connect to the supercharger??

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Update: I installed the plastic vacuum tubing on a barb next to the Fuel Pressure Sensor fitting on the intake manifold. It fit perfectly, no splicing in tee's required. However, it's only reading vacuum....not boost. Maybe this isn't the correct place to connect to the supercharger??
If you hooked it up to a barb on the supercharger itself, it will only pull vacuum, as it is before the screws and IC brick. If the barb is in the manifold and not the SC, it should show vacuum when the bypass valve is open and boost when it is closed.

Your FRPS should have a vacuum line running to the manifold somewhere for boost/vacuum reference. You can follow this line and T into it somewhere for boost/vac reference.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you hooked it up to a barb on the supercharger itself, it will only pull vacuum, as it is before the screws and IC brick. If the barb is in the manifold and not the SC, it should show vacuum when the bypass valve is open and boost when it is closed.

Your FRPS should have a vacuum line running to the manifold somewhere for boost/vacuum reference. You can follow this line and T into it somewhere for boost/vac reference.
Thanks for the info....but I'm not sure of some of your acronyms. I'm assuming that "IC" is "intercooler" and "FRPS" is "fuel rail pressure sensor"?? Not sure what an IC "brick" is though. I'm obviously not a mechanic so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Thanks for the info....but I'm not sure of some of your acronyms. I'm assuming that "IC" is "intercooler" and "FRPS" is "fuel rail pressure sensor"?? Not sure what an IC "brick" is though. I'm obviously not a mechanic so any help would be appreciated.
Sorry, acronyms are everywhere in my line of work and it's a habit. That's my bad.

SC = supercharger
IC = intercooler
FRPS = fuel rail pressure sensor
"brick" is referring to the intercooler itself in the manifold. It's shaped like a brick with an inlet and outlet for coolant on the side and fins like a radiator on top and bottom for the charge air to pass through.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, acronyms are everywhere in my line of work and it's a habit. That's my bad.

SC = supercharger
IC = intercooler
FRPS = fuel rail pressure sensor
"brick" is referring to the intercooler itself in the manifold. It's shaped like a brick with an inlet and outlet for coolant on the side and fins like a radiator on top and bottom for the charge air to pass through.
Thanks! I'll tee into the FRPS hose. Hopefully I'll get boost readings as well as vacuum. By the way, the small barb that I referred to is within a 1/2" of the larger FRPS barb so I thought that that would be a good location. Apparently not since the gauge won't display boost, just vacuum.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mystery solved.....I sent an email to Magnuson Superchargers last night. Mark Blaha in Customer Service responded with exactly what I needed.

Regarding location of boost gauge tubing install: "Yes the port next to the Fuel Pressure Regulator is an additional vacuum/boost port and is the correct choice for your boost gauge." So no need to splice in a tee on a vacuum line.

Regarding why it reads vacuum most of the time instead of boost: "Because it will only read vacuum until you are in boost. If you are reading vacuum then you are idling or driving at a very low load. Even if you were not making boost, at WOT your vacuum gauge would read zero."

Hope this helps someone out there installing a boost gauge. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts