Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I went ahead and purchased kit # 999020 for my 65 with factory manual steering. I was wondering if you have any tips to make the installation easier? I've watched 2 videos so far and it looks to be time consuming but fairly straightforward. Also, what brand of fluid have you put in the pump? Thanks

J

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The biggest problem I had with installing it in my '66 was the weight of the steering box. It wouldn't go in from the top, and it was just too heavy for me to lift and insert the bolts by myself. I finally rigged a rope off the chassis brace under the hood, lifted it and tied it off.

I also had a problem with one of the hoses reaching. I added an extension shown in the attached photo.

I used Motorcraft Mercon V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charles! I can see you have headers, are those tri-y or shorties? I have shorties myself and I'm wondering if you removed the header It looks tight around there. Let me tell you its insane how expensive everything gets. I just spent another $300 buying some tools I needed to finish the job...

J

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They are shorties, and I didn't remove them. The tube is 3/8" thick wall AL. I need to wrap it, since it gets really hot when the engine is running.

I installed the same kit in my 65' several years ago. I too had too short of hoses and they touched the exhaust manifold.
I called borgeson and they sent me two longer hoses charged my credit card, and once I returned the short ones, they gave me full credit. I think you will like the new kit very much.
Joe

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was working on removing the old steering box until late yesterday and i almost made but the 2 claw puller i bought to remove the pitman arm is a waste of money, i feel like taking it back as nasty as it looks now 😆. Charles i think my Hedman's are 3/8" as well but still looks a little tight in there. I did cut the steering shaft already and movement of the steering box is more manageable. Joe, thanks for your input it's good to know Borgenson carries a set of longer hoses. I've been putting this off for years now but the older i get the more i dread to drive it without steering assist.. Don't get me wrong i'm only 34 but i'm getting sick of working out my pecs everytime i have to park haha after this i'll be driving her to Key West to celebrate a friend's birthday and this is giving me the push to get it done before december.

J

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no other choice but to bring down the header, halfway now..

20201018_164817 (1).jpg

J

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I should have mentioned that I have a 289. I suspect your engine is larger.
It's a 302 block, it most likely has to do with the exhaust. No biggie I've removed it many times already.

J 20201018_163550.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I received the borgenson kit today and i just got home to inspect it. I'm not sure if the Saginaw pump is supposed to be filled with P/S fluid but its leaking fluid. I wonder if this is normal? I'm on the phone waiting for some1 from SummitRacing..

20201021_203207.jpg 20201021_203207.jpg 20201021_203634.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure it should not have been filled; methinks it is a return. Mine was not filled.
Summit Racing told me to call Borgenson, I spoke to the tech this morning and he told me they have been testing the pumps for leaks before sending it out. They try to get as much fluid out as they can before packing it but is hard to get it all out or so he said..We will see how it goes

J

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Charles, I'm having a hard time bolting the steering box. It's really hard to do it by yourself. Question there is some kind of base on the spot the old steering box was mounted. Am I supposed to remove this thing as well? I haven't seen anyone removing it on the videos I've watched. It looks to me as if it's there to tilt the box but I dont know..

J

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sorry, but it's just been too long ago for me to recall much of the install. The weight and it being so unwieldy are the reasons I resorted to the rope sling mentioned earlier. Once I had it suspended at about the right spot I was able to get the bolts in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, but it's just been too long ago for me to recall much of the install. The weight and it being so unwieldy are the reasons I resorted to the rope sling mentioned earlier. Once I had it suspended at about the right spot I was able to get the bolts in.
It's tough holding the steering box while laying on the floor. I have banged up fingers and feel sore today.. definitely a job for 2 people. The rope idea is a great one and it makes perfect sense. Thanks again

J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts