• FRPP Sport Axle-Back

Votes: 48 63.2%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I dont even have my car yet lol but im debating on what exhaust to go with/order. If I dont go with a cat-back system (Borla Atak) it will be one of these two options. If you can just give your opinions on why one is better then the other or if you have had any experiences with any of the two exhausts etc.

In terms on the FRPP Sport axle-back I heard the mufflers are chambered..is that better or worse?

For the Borla Atak's..hows the fitment of the tips? Do they stick out like the borla atak cat-back system?

Ive heard the Borla is quite on idle?

Which one do you think sounds better?

thanks guys!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
411 Posts
They are both good if you want LOUD.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Like I posted in another thread:

I just got the FRPP sport axlebacks put on today, and I've gotta say they're the best investment I've ever made on my car. They have the perfect growling, rumbling idle that's nearly identical to a v8. They roar when you punch it, and they rumble like a v8 when cruising around the town at low RPM's too. They're not obnoxiously loud, yet they have an incredible head-turning tone! The tips are elegant and a huge improvement over stock, cleaning up the rear end drastically. The ford racing embossed logos look wicked. And best of all, absolutely no drone at any RPM!

I'm trying to find something negative to say about them, but everything is simply top-notch... You definitely get what you pay for!

After having them a couple weeks and putting around 150 miles on them, I still have to say that they sound plumb AMAZING. They have gotten a small margin quieter and a lot deeper at higher RPM's. My favorite part is when I start the car, everyone turns and looks! My dad drove behind me on a trip to a car show and he said that he could feel the rumbling of my exhaust at idle through the floor of his trailblazer. Not to mention, the mufflers are completely hidden under the stock valance. The tips are rolled at the end and are actually 4" (American muscle says they're 3.5, but no matter which way I measure them, they come out 4"). Also, the tips stick out a good 3-4" from the valance, so they look MEAN from the side too :winks

The only thing I've heard about the ATAK's is the quiet idle, but the FRPP definitely doesn't have that problem... I took the dive and went with the FRPP due to the low note, but the ATAK's will probably be a LOT easier to hear in person because I haven't heard of many people at all with the FRPP's.

Here's the thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-borla-s-type-frpp-exhaust-3.html#post2639645

Do take this with a grain of salt- There are hardly any 2011-12 v6's around where I live, let alone with exhaust mods. All I know is that when someone knew to car modding picks their first exhaust, it doesn't stay on very long, but the FRPP will never come off once it comes on! I'm thinking about getting a separate insurance policy just on this exhaust, seriously. I would be devastated if anything happened to it :hihi:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just swapped out the Flow 40's for the ATAK axlebacks and OMG yo this exhaust is ridiculously LOUD! I LOVE IT! Talk about attracting alot of unwanted attention lol. On the freeway I got WRX's, beamers, hondas, acuras just wanting a piece of ass whoopin' lol. It sounds even awesome with a CAI and TUNE. ATAK catback or axlebacks FTW!

·
Registered
86 Posts
ataks all day.

people will prefer whichever one they have, but the borlas are the better exhaust

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I didn't vote because my vote would be based entirely off of watching videos, and I don't think that should really count. When I was in highschool a friend of mine had Borla exhaust on his Trans AM WS6 and it was one of the most amazing sounding cars I've ever heard in person. I've always been a fan of Borla products but I have to admit, the few vidoes I've heard of the FRPP sound amazing. I'm sure I'd be happy with either... I have actually been comparing FRPP to Roush axlebacks lately for price reasons, Roush are so cheap and still sound pretty good (from what I've heard).

I guess I will know August 5th when I get my bonus as to which exhaust I buy... still not sure how much I'm getting lol.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Like I posted in another thread:

I just got the FRPP sport axlebacks put on today, and I've gotta say they're the best investment I've ever made on my car. They have the perfect growling, rumbling idle that's nearly identical to a v8. They roar when you punch it, and they rumble like a v8 when cruising around the town at low RPM's too. They're not obnoxiously loud, yet they have an incredible head-turning tone! The tips are elegant and a huge improvement over stock, cleaning up the rear end drastically. The ford racing embossed logos look wicked. And best of all, absolutely no drone at any RPM!

I'm trying to find something negative to say about them, but everything is simply top-notch... You definitely get what you pay for!

After having them a couple weeks and putting around 150 miles on them, I still have to say that they sound plumb AMAZING. They have gotten a small margin quieter and a lot deeper at higher RPM's. My favorite part is when I start the car, everyone turns and looks! My dad drove behind me on a trip to a car show and he said that he could feel the rumbling of my exhaust at idle through the floor of his trailblazer. Not to mention, the mufflers are completely hidden under the stock valance. The tips are rolled at the end and are actually 4" (American muscle says they're 3.5, but no matter which way I measure them, they come out 4"). Also, the tips stick out a good 3-4" from the valance, so they look MEAN from the side too :winks

The only thing I've heard about the ATAK's is the quiet idle, but the FRPP definitely doesn't have that problem... I took the dive and went with the FRPP due to the low note, but the ATAK's will probably be a LOT easier to hear in person because I haven't heard of many people at all with the FRPP's.

Here's the thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-borla-s-type-frpp-exhaust-3.html#post2639645

Do take this with a grain of salt- There are hardly any 2011-12 v6's around where I live, let alone with exhaust mods. All I know is that when someone knew to car modding picks their first exhaust, it doesn't stay on very long, but the FRPP will never come off once it comes on! I'm thinking about getting a separate insurance policy just on this exhaust, seriously. I would be devastated if anything happened to it :hihi:
I know you love the sound but how is the performance and did you notice any increases or decreases in MPG?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
FRPP > Borla

Just personal preference from what I've heard and read on here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own the ATAKS and they are amazing. Have a nice rumble when idle and while cruising. But when you really let it rip...man its something else. No regrets about buying them, and you wont have any either if you get them

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kk thanks for all the opinions & comments so far!:) Idonno if its different in person but the FRPP sport's seem like they sound better, this is online of course..i donno tho lol..hopfully more videos pop up soon.

can anyone that has the atak's tell me how the fitment is?? do the tips stick out too far?

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I actually had a chance to hear the borla axle-backs 2day..sounded pretty nice! it is quiet on idle..just donno if they were the Atak's..im pretty sure they were..loud on rev.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So I actually had a chance to hear the borla axle-backs 2day..sounded pretty nice! it is quiet on idle..just donno if they were the Atak's..im pretty sure they were..loud on rev.
Keep up the research! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for axle backs a d I am looking at ford and borla. From online I think fords sounds amazing. I think better then borla. To me I'm not looking for performance increases but just sound increases haha.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep up the research! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for axle backs a d I am looking at ford and borla. From online I think fords sounds amazing. I think better then borla. To me I'm not looking for performance increases but just sound increases haha.
haha great lemme know if you make any progress..but ya I agree. I guess the borla atak catback would be the best best for a performance increase but I think the tips stick too far out..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm looking to get the FRPP, but i just can't justify spending $650 + taxes!!!

Anyone else think these axle-backs are seriously over-priced?

I def. think they should be in the $400-$500 range.

Plus, other than sound, how much hp/tq are we meant to get from them?

....still sound wicked though when giving big licks round a corner! :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just realized how messed up my last post was. I really need to stop posting on my iPhone. :laugh:

MD1 650 is actually a good price if you have found them for that. Ive only seen them for 750. If you look at the Borla's they are much more expensive and even flowmasters are 450-500 I believe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
kk thanks for all the opinions & comments so far!:) Idonno if its different in person but the FRPP sport's seem like they sound better, this is online of course..i donno tho lol..hopfully more videos pop up soon.

can anyone that has the atak's tell me how the fitment is?? do the tips stick out too far?
these are how they look on my car.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks TurboSwaG! they look good!..fitment as well lol okay so the fitment myth is put too rest in terms on the borla axle-back haha. Best colour btw lol!:yup:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know you love the sound but how is the performance and did you notice any increases or decreases in MPG?
This was also something I posted in response to a similar question:

See, I was really expecting the car to drive differently with the FRPP axle-backs... I kinda had this idea in my head that the power was gonna go right through the pipes if that made sense, but it drives exactly the same as the stock, if not a little better even! Do take into account that I have no performance mods, however. But I could only imagine how amazing this exhaust would be with a CAI & performance tune...

As for mpg- all I know is that I've been driving 80% city super aggressively just to hear the sound of it and I'm still getting 22mpg, compared to 24 mpg without the exhaust when I was driving like a grandma. I don't think the mufflers are mechanically changing my mpg, it's just my driving habits.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts