Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am looking to put borla exhaust on my 2006 gt this summer and i am having an issue on deciding if i wanna spend the extra $200 on a full cat or if i should just go for the axle back.. i think i have read somewhere that the stock stang comes with 2.25in pipes so getting a cat is pretty much a waste but i dunno if that is true or if the borlas have bigger pipes and especially when borla clams "great power enhancement" (and yes i know that it is part of a sales pitch but still)but i havent found anywhere that says the size of the pipe on the cat... so any help or opinions would be greatly appreicated thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed the axle back stingers 2 weeks ago... bolts right up to the factory pipe... no problems. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
432 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to beat the factory exhaust (even the mufflers aren't bad on flow, the tips are just too small) on our cars, I would go with just the axle backs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The stingers have a throaty sound that is very deep with stock mid and manifold... Sounds really nice when you let her lose though :bigthumbsup

I spent a good two weeks listening to You tube videos and such but one thing to keep in mind, make sure to consider if you plan on doing headers and mid pipe at a later date cause some axle backs are extremely loud vs some others as SLT has experienced first hand lol. :shigrin

But in the end, in person is the best way to make a decision so start going to some car shows and talking to people there, that also helps out alot.

Hope that helps! :wavey

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dont get catbacks. Its a waste. Get axlebacks. An no the pipes on the catbacks wont change your sound. the mufflers do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
To wake up an old thread.....

I am currently debating the advantage of the catback "midpipe". I recently installed the Borla ATAK axlebacks on my 09 GT and am looking for a little more volume. I know the stock midpipe flows well, but by replacing the midpipe I though you replace the stock resonators, which will change the sound of your exhaust. Anyone have any experience with this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts