Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with a Borla rep, told me LT's for our car will be released by the end of the month. MSRP $1019.99! :weeps

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yeah, about what I would expect, almost twice as much as ceramic BBK's but for sure not worth twice as much.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Yeah, about what I would expect, almost twice as much as ceramic BBK's but for sure not worth twice as much.
hahahahaa you were sooooooooooooooooooo right about bassani's price range then lol sorry to second guess u.

·
Registered
381 Posts
holy kaka, that's quite a bit. you can get BBK's and x pipe and tuner for less than that. i'm sure they will probably sell for about 800$ or so.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well is it at least for the Header-Xpipe combo? There is no way just the headers can be $1,000+

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Well is it at least for the Header-Xpipe combo? There is no way just the headers can be $1,000+
What makes you think so? Full stainless steel headers aren't cheap, especially from Borla or Bassani.

If you look at 5.0 headers for comparison all the big exhaust companies charge over $1000 for their headers alone and they will sell a bunch more sets of them than they will any V6 ones so the price for the V6 is comparatively higher for what you get.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unless that's for the header/xpipe combo, it'll be the ceramic BBK's and catted X for me for sure. I like to have the variety of choice and all, but that kind of price difference for a comparable part as far as performance gains, is just nuts. Full stainless or not.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
And after what Borla said on here a while back about long tubes being illegal for the road then they will not be offering a catted x-pipe for their headers since it still wouldn't make them legal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
american racing headers was also working on some, but they are up there too, if they ever release.

·
Registered
381 Posts
not to mention Basanni has some in "production" as well, although I wasn't given any other details. I made a thread about it a week or so ago...

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
So Borla headers, x pipe, and cat backs will be over $2000. Wow.

On the other hand, I haven't heard anything negative about the BBKS.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
And like I thought, Borla isn't going to offer the x-pipe with cats since they contend that it wouldn't make the car emissions legal anyway.

I'll stick with the ceramic BBK's...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked to southern car parts, and when they receive the headers its going to be alot cheaper than msrp. The GT headers are about 170 lower than msrp on their site. Still waiting on AM to get back to me.

As far as emissions go, there's tons of crooked emissions inspection places that'll pass you for a small fee :gringreen

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
What I want to understand is what everyone thinks they will get out of the Borla or Bassani headers over the BBK's that would make it worth the extra $$$???

There won't be any power advantage from one to the other, the ceramic BBK's will last as long as the stainless and will hold the heat in better so I just don't see it unless it's just a pissing contest...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What I want to understand is what everyone thinks they will get out of the Borla or Bassani headers over the BBK's that would make it worth the extra $$$???

There won't be any power advantage from one to the other, the ceramic BBK's will last as long as the stainless and will hold the heat in better so I just don't see it unless it's just a pissing contest...
I'll take a stab at answering this.

Rewind to November 2010. This was the moment I realized how god freaking awful a simple catback could really truly sound. I was absolutely stunned beyond all belief that Magnaflow, a company that everyone knows, could honestly develop and market such a worthless POS exhaust system. I literally got a$$ raped for $700 on their catback system. The sound was the worst damn sound I've ever imagined. I'd rather be waterboarded than drive at 2500 rpm's down the road in my car with the Magnaflow exhaust and everyone who heard it agreed. To top it off, Magnaflow really didn't give a $hit what I had to say.

I was determined to replace it and I wanted something that was reputable to point that they could honestly guarantee me an exhaust that wouldn't drone. So I went with Borla. It was the first exhaust I'd ever purchased from them. I went based on the reputation they had for making power in addition to the fact that they spend a ridiculous amount of time tuning their systems to sound as best they can.

One of the best sounding systems I had ever heard up until this point on any vehicle was one you wouldn't expect. It was a 2006 Jeep Wrangler with a full Borla system, headers and catback. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stick up. The sound they were able to make with a 4.0L straight 6 motor was simple unimaginable. It defied normal logic.

Okay I'm being a bit dramatic but it was pretty incredible. So I took a leap on a grossly overpriced system. And I since I installed it I haven't once questioned it. So what does this have to do with headers on a 3.7 V6. Well it's just a hunch. But if Borla put the effort into their headers, and are as critical in designing it for sound and power as what I've seen so far, then the Borla system is the one for me. I'm still slightly skeptical and you probably know that Curtis from what you've seen posted from me in the past. Enough so that I passed on the Borla prototype set that had never even been installed when I could've had them for $350 shipped. :frustrated:

That and you know my take so far of the sound being generated from the cars sporting the BBK headers. It's like an amplified Civic V-Tec motor with all the bad characteristics I can think of in an awful sounding exhaust. It's literally that bad and then some.

Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I guarantee you that the sound between Borla or Bassani or BBK headers will be exactly the same.

How could it possibly be any different?

They are all 3 pipes into one collector on each side of the motor.

It's the exhaust system behind the headers that makes the difference in sound.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts