Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that all mustang forums agree that the exhaust competition narrows down to Borla vs Mac in terms of true muscle sound. Is it true and why?
If if we don't take price into consideration, which one between Borla and Mac is a winner in terms of sound and peformance. Because I'm a mustang daily driver, I wanna know which one is better if cost does not count.
Borla and Mac owners are welcome to post pics and sound clips, for all of us to judge! Let the competition begin :p:clap

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loudness is crucial but is MAC better as a whole?! Can someone please explain the term "drone"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drone does also exist with stock exhaust below 2 rpm, well that' what I got. So, are there any sound clips for both?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Depends what you want, which depends on you and your driving.

If your car is daily driver Borla, even though I'd get the FRPP units which are he same but with the FRPP logo, BLING!! :happyhapp

If you cruise during the weekends with your windows open and want your car sound like a... uh, eh... V8 muscle car? MAC. I had mine on for a few days, could not stand the drone (my car is an everyday driver / commuter car...)

Look at this thread; http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52063

·
Registered
172 Posts
I vote Borla by a mile! The sound is pure muscle car! :worship The Borla's are well worth the investment (though it definitely makes sense to get the FRPP version since their cheaper)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I might have been unclear... but the Borla/FRPP unit has a nice tone to it but the MACs are definately more muscle! I loved the exterior sound of my car with the MACs but could not take the drone... have JBAs now, very happy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it all comes to different taste, however we need two similar sound clips from both borla and mac to decide which one is more preferable to most mustang drivers and fans. Second, we will get to the drone issue and who has more drone. Finally, Will you sacrifice your own brain comfort just to get more attention on the road? People won't point their fingers while a mustang gt drives by and say: "Just listen to that borla sound!", all what they would say is something that goes like: "Man, the new stangs sound great!". Bottom line, most exhaust systems sound great and a bit similar, what matters at the end is your satisfaction about the choice you made, and that's what I'm trying to figure out, does borla cat-back makes you feel better than a Mac cat-back? May someone who has heard and been in both inlighten us!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone who had MAC, changed them for another alternative, seems the drone is worse than i thought!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had Mac axlebacks for over a month, drive them everyday, in stop and go traffic, and love them.

Yes, there is drone from 1800-2100 rpm but you can vary your rpm and avoid this range if it gets too annoying. I went with Mac because the 4" slash-cut, stainless steel, rolled tips fill the rear valence cut-outs perfectly.

I keep intending to post a sound byte on these soon just have not gotten to it yet.:sterb:

·
Registered
102 Posts
let's talk about quality, MAC is known to rust out within a year.
I have not heard anything negative concerning the quality of MAC products. I do not have any concerns about the quality of my MAC axlebacks.

Where are you getting your information?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Dont forget that you can get off road x-pipes, and keep your stock mufflers.:drool:

Very nice deep loud sound.:winks

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
It is all personal, and as I said what you use your car for. Stop and go traffic is one thing. Highway traffic another. It is not posible (well almost) to keep the drone range (1900-2300 RPM) out in most of my driving, 50-80 MPH. Stop and go, fine, you pull through it and shift, or creep at <1800 RPM. But in traffic in my speeds, or in hilly terrain, forget about it! I tried to keep the MACs as I love the sound but there was no way...

Seems ppl who put lotsa (highway) miles on their cars get rid of their MACs... I went stock-MAC-JBA, Dave (005) on here went stock-JBA-MAC... we have different driving in mind... The JBA I think can compair do Borla and are quite mellow next to the MACs...

Don't know if there is a quality issue with any of them, think they're all SS and should last...

If I had a do over I'd do off-road LT headers to X to stock mufflers, I also LOVE the sound of the ProChamber and would consider it...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just curious why magnaflow is being left out here. Dollarbill just put the magnaflows on and said the drone was eliminated. I understand the sound is deep, muscle car sounding. Any feedback??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are doing a good job following the thread topic, it turns out people tend to choose their product depending on taste and driving style, but the answer should still be generalized, is borla a better deal for a life time than MACs?

"Larry", other brands are being left out according to fame, most of us agree that borla and MAC are best choices for the new stangs, not under estimating others however. People go to JBA for less hassle due to drone. Can borla users please post their experience to compare?!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 46 Posts