Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a question if I may.

For Touring owners: Do you wish you'd gotten a louder / the S-Type exhaust?

For S-Type owners: Do you wish you'd gotten a quieter exhaust sometimes? If so, what situations?

I'm worried about two things... highway noise, 70-75mph cruising being too loud, not being able to hold a conversation without yelling etc. and being able to quietly exit the neighborhood (I could just idle out) as I leave pretty early in the morning, and I like my neighbors (I had a Harley, so I know how to keep a light throttle).

I definitely like the sound and bark of the S-Type over the Touring, but if the S-Types are going to be "too loud" I'll definitely get the Tourings. I'm not really interested in other exhausts, so those opinions won't be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have either, but I plan on getting the s-type. I also don't want to wake neighbors as I come home about 5 am. Here's another question; axlebacks or catbacks? Is there any significant sound difference between the two? Can I save $400 and go with the axlebacks?

·
Registered
29 Posts
personally i prefer the touring cause you get the same performance as the S-type and you wont worry about noise cause its not much louder than stock, so it would be a win-win deal for me:bigthumbsup
any vid's of the touring cat-back would be appreciated, i've only seen one on youtube and i dont think its enough! would love to hear it with some LT's too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Borla S-Type. I can tell you they are quite loud on a cold start and will let your neighbours know you are leaving! If you let your car idle for a bit and give a bit of gas they quiet down a fair bit. After I have done that I reverse out from my garage and just above idle go down the street.

That aside, they are amazing. Nice and meaty through the gears and nice and quite cruising in sixth on the highway. A conversation is very easy as there is no loud roar and NO DRONE.

Personally I am really glad I got them instead of the Touring. From what I have heard of the Touring you may as well stay with stock.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the Atak's. Loud on start up, slowly out of neighborhood and not even noticeable, just as quite as stock when cruising interstate with absolutely zero drone. Touring should be much quieter with S Type being very similar to Atak's. Go for it. You will love whichever you get :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have the S-Type catback exhaust. They will bark for about 30 seconds when you start it up but once it drops to idle it is just a very low rumble. You can drive out of the neighborhood by not going nuts with the gas pedal and shifting early. On the highway I personally don't find the sound level intrusive, especially if you're cruising in 6th gear. However, want to let your presence be known, go a little nuts with the happy pedal and stack up the RPMs and everyone will be looking your way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Touring set, and I have to disagree with the idea that they are hardly different than stock. You won't be confused for stock. The re-design in December has made them a bit more open and aggressive. And, the two worries you have will never be a concern. With that said...

...get the S-Types. I was in the same situation you were in, and I'm convinced I made the wrong choice. I think about a louder set almost every time I'm* *in the car :) Not that the Touring set isn't very good, but your ears adjust to sound pretty quick, and the Borlas do seem to make you crave more. Trust the guys here with the S-Types...

Finally, if you discover the S-Type is too much and you would prefer the Touring, it would probably take all of 12 minutes to sell S-Types to fund the purchase of the Touring. I have to assume the Touring set would be a tougher sell.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
ive had both on my car.. i started with the s-type's.. it was more annoying than loud.. i would get a headache after driving on the hwy a hour, from the humming sound. you can talk easily with inside the car its not loud inside the car until you go up a hill or slightly accelerate. its not too loud outside the car until WOT. i sold these in a two days and bought the touring hoping they would be louder than stock and not have the humming sound that the s-types had inside the cabin. well they did but it was much less and im quiet happy with the touring. if i choose to get an o/r x pipe or something it would louden it up and it wouldnt be too loud, where as if i did that with the s-type i would be bleeding from the ears. SOOOO the main reason i switched was because the humming sound was jsut to much with the s-types, it was loud just extremely annoying on the hwy. i do wish the touriing was a bit louder but im very happpy with them. they also helped lose alot alot alot of weight ffrom the stock ones. ******* i also jsut realized that this is for a GT and i have a v6.. but im sure their still close.... otherwie forget what i said

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A week ago I had a set of Borla axle backs installed,It's more like " where was this exhaust hiding" loving every sound it puts out, I disagree with Blackpenguin69,on start up, it has a presence and you know you just started a 5.0... and yes it simmers down to a deep sweet growl within the first 15 seconds.
I did not want a loud exhaust, BUT I sure wanted more than what stock offered me,Borla S type is THE exhaust you will love.
On the highway there is zero drone,6th gear, you almost have to pay attention to realize the sound is there !!!
Gear down to 5th it wakes up, but still subtle without drama,4th gear offers more growl, but again, it's a deep potent growl and no rasp,3rd gear pull really wakes this exhaust up and sounds amazing.
The one point I made clear to the seller was I was not looking for a loud exhaust, but one that offers a balance between loud and quiet.,It is quiet enough to not drone my head to death,and enough presence to move away from the stocker... would I buy this exhaust again if I had to? hell yeah, in a heart beat.
I heard both the touring and the "S" type on 2 identical GT's (both were petty much stock) and in my opinion the touring was just a lil bit louder than a stock; and we all know the stock is pretty lame!
Any throttle inputs you make can easily be translated to pure sound, you know exactly what your motor is saying to you.
Get the "S" type, you would have zero regrets and a smile wider than the front end of a 5.0,daily!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi, I've got the ford racing svt touring(from reports very close to the borla touring's) axle backs on my 11 GT. Deffinetly louder then stock but quiet at cruise and not loud enough to piss off the neighbors on cold start. Before these I had the roush axle backs which were to loud for me on cold start and wot. But they were civilized at cruise as well though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the ATAK's, they are a bit loud at cold start, but not bad, they sound amazing. They sound a bit ricey at first on a V6, but after about 100 miles tone out nicely. The mixture I have with that and my JLT CAI sounds amazing I love it. If you keep the car below 2000 RPM its not loud, NO DRONE, and on the highway, you can barely hear it since you are moving so fast (the way the sound travels, you barely hear it). I can hold a convo in the car just fine, windows up or down, just as long as theres not a lot of wind of course. IMO I would say go with the ATAKs, they are the best in my opinion, the S-Types you may think will be more quiet, but its YOUR choice, im just saying I have the ATAKs and I love them. best investment Ive made in my whole life (I'm only 19 so....) hahaha

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Touring set, and I have to disagree with the idea that they are hardly different than stock. You won't be confused for stock.
i didnt say it sounds exactly like stock, i ment its toooo quite compared to the other exhausts out there. you'll get my point when you hear the s-type or the roush in person:winks

·
Registered
411 Posts
i didnt say it sounds exactly like stock, i ment its toooo quite compared to the other exhausts out there. you'll get my point when you hear the s-type or the roush in person:winks
Check out my thread in the v6 forum. Touring is currently on hold again pending another redesign due to heavy drone around 2000 rpm

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Touring set, and I have to disagree with the idea that they are hardly different than stock. You won't be confused for stock. The re-design in December has made them a bit more open and aggressive. And, the two worries you have will never be a concern. With that said...

...get the S-Types. I was in the same situation you were in, and I'm convinced I made the wrong choice. I think about a louder set almost every time I'm* *in the car :) Not that the Touring set isn't very good, but your ears adjust to sound pretty quick, and the Borlas do seem to make you crave more. Trust the guys here with the S-Types...

Finally, if you discover the S-Type is too much and you would prefer the Touring, it would probably take all of 12 minutes to sell S-Types to fund the purchase of the Touring. I have to assume the Touring set would be a tougher sell.

This is a great point... Thanks a TON. I'm sure selling a use S-Type is going to be MUCH easier should I find it too loud. Didn't even cross my mind, +1 internetz for you! :bigthumbsup

Well, since I just dropped $3k on the wife last night (new diamond earrings and Tag Heuer watch) I guess it's time to start shopping for some toys! Thanks fellas... now just the loooong wait for the car to get here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check out my thread in the v6 forum. Touring is currently on hold again pending another redesign due to heavy drone around 2000 rpm
Woow, that really sucks. i've read the hole thread and i just hope they fix the problem ASAP. do you think this problem is only with the v6's or is it the same with all the touring AB's (v6's and v8's)??

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the S-Type, and it's just about perfect. It does 'bark' on startup, but If it's early morning, I'll just wait 30 sec. for the car to drop out of fast idle, open the garage door, and quietly back out. It's easy to make a stealthy approach or departure with this system.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the S-Type, and it's just about perfect. It does 'bark' on startup, but If it's early morning, I'll just wait 30 sec. for the car to drop out of fast idle, open the garage door, and quietly back out. It's easy to make a stealthy approach or departure with this system.
Yeah the 5am star-tups are what I'm sorta worried about. I guess I can always just make sure I park in the garage. The neighbors right across the street have a newborn and I'm kinda worried about waking them up every morning, as I remember what having a newborn is like and sleep is very precious!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the S-type axle backs on my 5.0 and I absolutely love them. They seem that they are quality, as in they have zero drone, no humming (which the other guy was talking about), fit great, easy install, and sound amazing. I would agree at start up it barks a bit when the engine hasn't settled down for a few seconds, but it tones down fast. You can cruise out of your place in 2nd gear and no one will hear a thing if you are just babying it. But I can tell you at wide open throttle that thing wakes up. The response I get the most is people say that my car sounds like "it wants to go" as in it wants to fight....sounds mean. Also, cruising in 5th or 6th gear (around town or on interstate) with little throttle you just hear a baby bit of gurgling, and like I've said in other posts, the sound comes from behind the car, not from inside. In 6th gear on the interstate going 70 mph, you wouldn't even know you have an aftermarket exhaust, at least IMO. If you want an exhaust that sounds wicked when you want it to, but is tame enough when you need it to be, then I think the S-type is for you. And I would recommend the axle backs over the cat backs because it tones down the raspy poppy sounds, seems to keep the exhaust note smoother. And fortunately I just made this video yesterday, shot from inside the car with windows down. Please note that the exhaust is probably louder in person due to the average nature of audio of this camera I used. But still gives a great idea of the tonal quality of the S-type axle backs through a variety of gears. Check it out.

YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Borla S-Type Axle Backs, GoPro‬‏

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the S-type axle backs on my 5.0 and I absolutely love them. They seem that they are quality, as in they have zero drone, no humming (which the other guy was talking about), fit great, easy install, and sound amazing. I would agree at start up it barks a bit when the engine hasn't settled down for a few seconds, but it tones down fast. You can cruise out of your place in 2nd gear and no one will hear a thing if you are just babying it. But I can tell you at wide open throttle that thing wakes up. The response I get the most is people say that my car sounds like "it wants to go" as in it wants to fight....sounds mean. Also, cruising in 5th or 6th gear (around town or on interstate) with little throttle you just hear a baby bit of gurgling, and like I've said in other posts, the sound comes from behind the car, not from inside. In 6th gear on the interstate going 70 mph, you wouldn't even know you have an aftermarket exhaust, at least IMO. If you want an exhaust that sounds wicked when you want it to, but is tame enough when you need it to be, then I think the S-type is for you. And I would recommend the axle backs over the cat backs because it tones down the raspy poppy sounds, seems to keep the exhaust note smoother. And fortunately I just made this video yesterday, shot from inside the car with windows down. Please note that the exhaust is probably louder in person due to the average nature of audio of this camera I used. But still gives a great idea of the tonal quality of the S-type axle backs through a variety of gears. Check it out.

<vid snip>
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
Thanks... well I'd guess that seals the deal, I'll be ordering as soon as I get the AFM discount code from AMStanger. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just confirmed - The Borla S-Type for 2011-2012 Mustang GT is getting a small re-design to solve a problem. The problem is that they can fill up partly with condensation water and there is no drainage designed in. Never an issue on other systems but is on the new Mustang and should be fixed within a few weeks. There is a solution given by Borla of drilling a small 1/16" hole on the lower middle forward facing side of the muffler body completely covered under warranty - call them and ask for Chris Baas. I have to give Borla a lot of credit - they are honest and did not side step this one bit. It will be covered one way or another. For me I had noticed a gurgly sound doing a neutral rev. I pulled them off for another reason and there was quite a bit of water inside both axleback mufflers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts