Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
1000+ shipping for V6 headers in this economy? Cocaine is a helluva drug. You can have custom made long tube headers made for cheaper.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1000+ shipping for V6 headers in this economy? Cocaine is a helluva drug. You can have custom made long tube headers made for cheaper.
Well it does come with an off-road x-pipe. Although you do pay for quality and with all the remarks about the bbk's rattling at higher rpms these may be the next choice? I know people have issues with raspy sounds being enhanced with the bbk installs although I dont think that is all because of the bbks....I think the bbks just enhance what is already in place as far as sound goes. If I remember correctly one member on here purchased the pypes kit and it made a huge difference in the way his car sounded with the bbk's. I dont remember seeing a video of this though.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You know that when you click on "BUY NOW" in the cart description it says those headers have a 2.25" collector...

Why would they make them with 1.75" tubes and then choke them down to that small of a collector?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know that when you click on "BUY NOW" in the cart description it says those headers have a 2.25" collector...

Why would they make them with 1.75" tubes and then choke them down to that small of a collector?
Unless I am reading wrong...the LT tubes are 1.75" and the collector is 2.25" which is bigger....how is that choking it down if the collector is bigger?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aren't the BBKs 1.75 to 2.75? They're also about the same price if you buy them with the catted x pipe and you get the more expensive ceramic coated version, but considerably cheaper if you go with the off road and chrome LTs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
2.25'' collectors to hook up to the stock size midpipe? Would that eliminate any potential HP gains?

·
Registered
510 Posts
is 2.25" really that terrible for such a small displacement engine? Not like we are talking about necking down to a 2.25" Y-pipe, just going into duals/x-pipe :?:

Oh, and I wonder what exactly their 1 Million Mile Warranty covers...

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
2.25'' collectors to hook up to the stock size midpipe? Would that eliminate any potential HP gains?
is 2.25" really that terrible for such a small displacement engine? Not like we are talking about necking down to a 2.25" Y-pipe, just going into duals/x-pipe :?:
The minimum I would even consider would be a 2.5" collector since all the performance cat-back exhaust systems are 2.5" pipes.

Guess they are making them that size to match the oem exhaust diameter, just not the best setup IMO for max performance and if you are going to spend that kind of $$$ you want the max performance you can get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Exhaust velocity

Hi,
You cannot just dump the headers into a big pipe, you will kill velocity of the exhaust and it won't scavenge the other cylinders.
The V6 has only 3 pipes into 1 AND there is no overlapping exhaust pulses so thee is a gap between pulses. So you have a 1 3/4' tube going into a 2 1/4" pipe and that alone will not promote velocity.
There is alot more to header size and lenght to consider.
Oh ya, a 120* firing cycle sounds horrible.
Stick with stock manifolds and turbocharge it.
Perry.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The minimum I would even consider would be a 2.5" collector since all the performance cat-back exhaust systems are 2.5" pipes.

Guess they are making them that size to match the oem exhaust diameter, just not the best setup IMO for max performance and if you are going to spend that kind of $$$ you want the max performance you can get.
And exactly on what do you base the fact that it needs to be bigger then 2.25"?
Did you know that the piping of the stock y pipe on a 370z is 1.75" and that the stock 2011 5.0 have 1/3 more engine then you do with your 3.7 and still do with 2.25" h pipe and over the axle pipes?:winks

·
Registered
650 Posts

They could have made the decision for a smaller collector based on the fact that there will be no catted x-pipe, and the user will be using an O/R anyway. Idk,...

And yeah,...... thats ALOT of money for something that may not be as effective as it should be in terms of performance. Eh,... I waiting for the Bassani setup anyway :shiny:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
And exactly on what do you base the fact that it needs to be bigger then 2.25"?
Did you know that the piping of the stock y pipe on a 370z is 1.75" and that the stock 2011 5.0 have 1/3 more engine then you do with your 3.7 and still do with 2.25" h pipe and over the axle pipes?:winks
5.0 has 2.75" pipes not 2.25".

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is alot of money but you gotta remember it wont be that expensive when you get it through a retailer. All of Borla's stuff is expensive when looking at their site, but other retailers like AM or Southerncarparts sell it for much cheaper. For instance, the site right now says the ATAK AB's are $884, I got them from Southerncarparts for ^639 shipped so expect them to be cheaper.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That price is frickn ridiculous esp without the shipping included. The price on AM for the Ceramic BBK headers w/ the catted or off-road X pipe is less than a 1000 bucks.

I feel like BBK at least needs to also put a sound vid on the catted x-pipe w/ headers.

·
0 Posts
Wow the price is a little steep, hopefully borla sends the correct 02 extentions lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts