Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These Were In My Car By The Last Owner The Car Started Missing Today And Ses Came On And Read #3 Miss Fire, So I Get Factory Motorcraft Platinum Plugs Change Them And Same Thing So i Had A Left Over Coil Pack From 01 Police Intercepter, Put It On And Fixed The Problem:bigthumbsupAre Bosch Platinum Plugs Recomm:headscratch:ended For Fords I Thought This Was Wierd When i Took Them Out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well id assume ford would say only motorcraft is reccomended because its OEM, but i personally have never heard of any issues, and its not like its some no name brand, their oil filters are great btw ;)
I just think that if ur not running forced induction, paying extra for special spark plugs isnt going to get you the best peformance for your dollar.
but dont take my word for it, jus cause ive never heard any problems personally doesnt mean its ideal, might read around or call a local car shop (id probly stick to calling performance shops)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Thanks I Prefer The Original Equipment But They Looked Bad Like They Have Not Been Changed In Awhile.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most plugs tend to say that they last 100k miles, i find this to be a far cry from reasonable, as i see issues at around 80k, personally, i change mine at 50k to keep a nice strong spark rather than waiting till the spark sputters til it doesnt spark at all.
Might take a look at how many miles you have on em. Also, if u pull the plugs, take a good look at em, they tell a story on how your car is running, ill see if i can google the chart that shows different types of problems and a picture of what the plug looks like

·
Registered
123 Posts
quick google search pulled up plenty of these, i jus googled 'spark plugs tell a story'

heres what you want to look at when u pull em to get an idea of how your car is running:
SparkPlugs
best of wishes to ya!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:bigthumbsupThanks That Really Explained My Plugs Mine Were Alittle Ashy From The Seafoam I Ran Threw The Vacum Line, I Dont Know If That Helped Or Hurted Cant Tell A Big Difference?

·
Registered
123 Posts
ash isnt a huge issue usually, if it builds up REALLY thick it can keep it from sparking, usually if you clean em up it brings em back to life though.
Being that you ran seafoam through it atleast you know (and knowing is half the battle!) why they look like that instead of scratching ur head going "uh oh" which is usually how i endup lol.

Seafoam is usually good for cleaning injectors and such and shouldnt be much of an issue for plugs, but i feel you pay too much for the name, but thats just my oppinion.

anywho, u might try cleaning the plug up, but personally id probly consider replacing em. specally if ur over 50,000 miles on the same plugs.
If you want a quick way to test spark plugs, check this out (sorry im too lazy to coppy the directions... becides, plagiarism is bad, mkay?) How to Test Spark Plugs | eHow.com

another good test for the wires themselves ive heard is to park ur car in a garage, turn out all the lights, and start the engine, if you see any arcing, u could have bad wires where the sheath has come off.
good luck! hope it doesnt endup costing you an arm and a leg lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I Bought Some Mtrcrt's And They Fixed It Up No More Bosch!:nono:

·
Registered
613 Posts
These Were In My Car By The Last Owner The Car Started Missing Today And Ses Came On And Read #3 Miss Fire, So I Get Factory Motorcraft Platinum Plugs Change Them And Same Thing So i Had A Left Over Coil Pack From 01 Police Intercepter, Put It On And Fixed The Problem:bigthumbsupAre Bosch Platinum Plugs Recomm:headscratch:ended For Fords I Thought This Was Wierd When i Took Them Out.
I put brand new Bosch +4's in my V8, thing ran like poop. Put the Motorcraft ones in, and ran perfect.

·
Registered
123 Posts
never used Bosch plugs personally, i would assume theyd be fairly good though considering their pumps and filters tend to be great products.
oh well, they cant be good at everything they do i guess.
I would not say that motorcraft is the only way to go by any means, but if your looking for one that Ford would reccomend, thatd be the one
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Bosch platinum plugs are garbage, one of the worst plugs around. For a performance application copper core plugs work best. They don't last as long, but they also cost a lot less, and when they are in good shape they work better than all those crappy gimmick plugs.

G

·
I've always had the best luck with Motorcraft plugs. I've had friends that have used the Bosch plugs and quickly swapped them out. Not worth the money in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.