Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Has anyone found installation of the brake cooling ducts to be a hateful experience? I thought it would be straight forward install, but I can't get the hoses on. I tighten the hose clamps on the inlets and the hoses keep slipping off. I can't even get the hoses to fit onto the backing plate. The hoses just tear as I try to pound them on. Also, how is everyone dealing with the washer bottle? I was thinking of just moving it out with longer bolts and spacer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the kit installed and I agree it is not as simple as it should be. I didn't do the installation myself but the shop that installed I think tilted to washer tank to make it fit. I'm not sure they had problems clamping on the hoses but from this thread others had the same issues. This may help you with the install. You may have to become a member to view it.
WWW.S197FORUM.COM

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. Anything will help. It's not such a bad job except when the hoses won't fit. For now I put tthe backing plates on and put the rest back to normal. Try again next weekend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"Hateful experience"... :winks I like that. I don't know if my experience was hateful, more of a moderate dislike. See my post at the end:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/road-racing/277070-anybody-tracked-2011-mustang-gt-yet-3.html
I didn't reposition the washer reservoir, which means a 90 degree bend and "ellipticalizing" the hose. I figure the area/volume of the duct is the same regardless of shape (as long as you're not pinching it), so that shouldn't be a concern. But then again, I know nothing of fluid mechanics, etc., Although I'm sure a sharp bend can hinder flow to a point. I'll take rotor temps during track days to compare each side.
BTW, I used that washer bottle to my advantage to some extent. I shoved as much hose as I could between it and the CS foglight opening so that in itself creates a bit of extra expansion/pressure to hold it in place, as I was having trouble fastening the hoseclamp as well.
I'm assuming the hose in the kit is 3" diameter?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
This probably won't be much help but here goes anyway. I made my own backing plates and the hose connection fits perfect inside the black reinforced hose I bought on eBay. I cut the plastic away from the valance around the hose area where the fog lights connect. This made it easier to fit the hose and get the clamps well up on the plastic tube and hose. I shimmed the washer bottle over to give more room for the hose to fit through without any crimps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know nothing of fluid mechanics, etc., Although I'm sure a sharp bend can hinder flow to a point....
....I'm assuming the hose in the kit is 3" diameter?
I studied fluid dynamics. Now if I could only remember all of it. :) The straighter the better, so I think I'll move the bottle.

The hoses are 3". It would be fine, but the backing plates have a lip on them. That's good for preventing slippage, but the hose just doesn't fit over the lip. I'm just going to have to cut the wire ribbing out of it at the end so it will stretch. I figured I'd have to, but I didn't want to cut it without consulting others first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made my own backing plates and the hose connection fits perfect inside the black reinforced hose I bought on eBay....
....I shimmed the washer bottle over to give more room for the hose to fit through without any crimps.

I'd love to make own, but I don't have free access to a shop anymore. I miss that.

That's exactly what I was thinking as far shimming the bottle is concerned. Did you get spacers of that size at a hardware store, or did you just cut some tubing? Do you happen to remember what size bolts and washers you used? I forgot to measure last weekend.

P.S.: I like the black hose look. Much more subtle than bright orange behind the inlets.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I do have access to a machine shop. I can tell from the picture I used 6mm bolts. I also used aluminum tubing with Delrin inserts on both ends to give a large flat bearing surface to take side loads. I shimmed out the front like 1.5" and the back .75". It pushes on the inner fender well but not very hard.

Try to screw the hose on the backing plate don't cut the wire the hose alone wont support the weight for very long and the hose will tear off. Better to grind the lip off the backing plate and use some adhesive along with the clamp.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try to screw the hose on the backing plate don't cut the wire the hose alone wont support the weight for very long and the hose will tear off. Better to grind the lip off the backing plate and use some adhesive along with the clamp.
I think I may just call Ford Racing Tech in the morning. I tried to screw it on with bit of lubricant, but no luck. It just started to tear. I may have to buy new hoses in the end. There are getting chewed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts