Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I've seen quite a few advertised at sticker.

Anyone who pays more than sticker does a dis-service to all the rest who want one because it gives the dealers more precedent to do it to others.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Donway Ford in Toronto has one. Sticker shows at $59,900, BUT I'm told they turned down an $80,000 offer!
... so what's the point of putting a price on the sticker if it's that misleading?

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are plenty of people who got their Boss for sticker(myself included...should be here within a week or two!), but on that note there are also plenty of dealers who have a car sitting on their lot and won't even think about selling it for sticker. It's like the GT500 saga all over again.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Guarantee that if nobody is willing to buy the price will come down.

Of course the old saying is still and always will be valid, there's a sucker born every day...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Last year when I was looking for a new Raptor with the 6.2 my local dealer had 2 that were 10 grand over sticker ! One hour of work of shopping on line and I found one exactly like I wanted . Drove 50 miles to get it and I got it at $1500.00 off the factory sticker, no dealer add ons .(paint sealant,pin stripes,ect. )
If you want a Boss the internet is your best resourse .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Midway internet just quoted me 4K over for the same red one.
I think it will currently get worse until dealers either A) Find the sucker to give them the marked up price or B) realize the cars will be sitting on their lots for a long time if they don't bring the price down.

I talked to several dealers regarding their Boss cars and they pretty much all said the same thing. "Well have you seen what these cars are going for on ebay and what not?" *sigh* What they don't realize is the cars are getting that many...if any...bids over sticker price. But all they need is the one person with money to blow. I got my car for sticker, but my dealer actually offered me $2,000 if I didn't take delivery of it. He was obviously offered a good deal of money over sticker by someone to make me an offer like that. I looked for a bit for a Kona Blue one..but couldnt find one for any less than 5 or 10k over sticker...so I'm just waiting.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been working the phones for a week, and visited a few dealerships in person. So far, checked with 20+ dealers all over the country. Haven't been able to find a single Boss advertised anywhere near sticker.

I'm extremely surprised - in a good way - to hear all these people saying they could easily find cars posted at sticker. Even those guys at the modding shop said in their post they struggled to trade at MSRP...

So may I ask you a favor guys, if you know for a fact that someone is offering MSRP within 400 miles of NY, please send me a PM... :bigthumbsup

Anyway, a few highlights:

- Lowest I've been able to find in the tristate area so far is approx 3.5k over

- Four other dealerships in NY/NJ quoted 10k over, with one of them proudly stating that they refused an offer at $5k "from Canada" and another one bragging "we have three clients that left an order at $10k", then trying to sell me a Shelby saying "it's got the same engine".

- The cheapest Laguna I've seen trading was at 8k over, on Ebay. Other Lagunas were quoted to me in a range between 15k and 25k.

- Almost all the dealers I talked to tried to be cute with the numbers by saying "only x [like 1200 or some silly small number instead of 8k] are being produced", only to backpedal and say "I meant x in this color" when challenged.

Personally I think the reason is partly because it's still relatively early days (I hope) and early adopters are the most willing to pay premium, and partly because it's the very start of the high season.

My prediction is that if by the end of the summer there were a few thousand Bosses still to be delivered (can that be the case? I asked Deysha if she could help with the numbers), MSRP would become the rule rather than the somewhat rare exception.

·
Registered
406 Posts
New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice etc. I found about a dozen within 3 hours drive of me that were listed online for MSRP. I was highly considering one if my current order got screwed up.
I respectfully disagree with the validity of these results.
It seems like dealer markups are not necessarily picked up.

Doing a search from that website shows at the top of my results (sorting by lowest price) three dealerships that I've already contacted (two of them visited in person), all of whom ask for $10k over, even though in these results they appear as MSRP offers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wait a while fellows. The prices will come down. In the early 2000's I sold cars at a multi dealership and PT Crusiers were selling for 5000 over sticker. After a few months you could by them for invoice minus rebates. I know you laugh at the thought of paying 5 g's for a PT but if you have a little patience I will wager that they will eventually sell for sticker if not below. Forget any rebates on these cars. I bought my 2003 Cobra for 500 over invoice and they were pretty hot at the time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know dealers are having hard times too, but I would never pay over sticker and strongly encourage everyone to do the same. As said before, once they get a sucker they use that to "justify" continuing.

Let them tie up their capital for a while and see if they change their tune. It gets expensive keeping those on the floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The biggest challenge is some dealers allow the sites to auto-populate from their incoming inventory. The price data is pulled from that information. So while the website says MSRP, once the photos are posted or you call the dealer you'll quickly see that big fat ADM on the window.

I grabbed my 2011 (not sure why I put 2012 in the other thread) 3 months ago at invoice minus $2,500 in rebates and another $1,500 in financing goodies. OTD for under $30 w/ the Trak Pack. I'm having a hard time justifying the added cost to get into a Boss other than saying, yes - its a boss.

Had the same debate going from a LS3 Corvette to an LS7. At least the difference in those two were more visual w/ different fenders, brakes, hood, front clip, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
LOL! Thats what happened to me too! The auto sites automatically listed the vehicles for the dealers at MSRP.
When I started to email and call around, I got a 2011 Gt prenium with yellow blaze and 3.73 for invoice minus $2500 minus $1500 holdback! In the end $28k out the door!

Now $28k GT prenium vs $44k Boss, thats a lot of margin for adding blower, upgraded suspension...etc to Boss level...

Best option is to be patience. With today's economy, who is going to spend $40k large on a V8 powered 2dr coupe? Not many...

Most Bosses on Ebay could not even sell for sticker... Except maybe LS edition!

The biggest challenge is some dealers allow the sites to auto-populate from their incoming inventory. The price data is pulled from that information. So while the website says MSRP, once the photos are posted or you call the dealer you'll quickly see that big fat ADM on the window.

I grabbed my 2011 (not sure why I put 2012 in the other thread) 3 months ago at invoice minus $2,500 in rebates and another $1,500 in financing goodies. OTD for under $30 w/ the Trak Pack. I'm having a hard time justifying the added cost to get into a Boss other than saying, yes - its a boss.

Had the same debate going from a LS3 Corvette to an LS7. At least the difference in those two were more visual w/ different fenders, brakes, hood, front clip, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.