Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An acquaintance is trying to get me into "track day" driving. Since I've got an '08 GT convertible, I'm considering moving to a hardtop. If I'm going to move to a hardtop, I might as well consider moving into the Coyote platform. Yada, yada, yada... I start considering getting into a Boss 302 since it gets me more of a turnkey setup. THEN I start hearing from this acquaintance that he sees a lot of people with these cars and other Mustangs fighting overheating problems. I did some quick internet searching and I have uncovered some threads from when the Boss was newer about overheating and guys saying the "fix" is to remove the grill when they arrive at the track.

What says the good people here? Any experiences with overheating of the Coyote Mustangs? Under what conditions? Summary of troubleshooting and resolutions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
First, you could have some fun on the track with your existing car; just check with the even organizer/promoter because there are special rules around convertibles. All you really need is basic maintenance up to date, don't try to set any track records, and you can have a lot of fun.

Second, yes, I have also seen and heard about the overheating issues. I think the Boss is a little better than a regular Coyote GT, but not much. I think this usually happens toward the end of a 20-minute session, so one simple solution is to end the session when you see the temps climbing. Also there are various modifications that can be done, like a better oil cooler, better vented hood or at least un-block the stock hood vents, open up the grill, etc.

Check out the road racing forum/section for past threads on this with a lot more details:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, you could have some fun on the track with your existing car; just check with the even organizer/promoter because there are special rules around convertibles. All you really need is basic maintenance up to date, don't try to set any track records, and you can have a lot of fun.

Second, yes, I have also seen and heard about the overheating issues. I think the Boss is a little better than a regular Coyote GT, but not much. I think this usually happens toward the end of a 20-minute session, so one simple solution is to end the session when you see the temps climbing. Also there are various modifications that can be done, like a better oil cooler, better vented hood or at least un-block the stock hood vents, open up the grill, etc.

Check out the road racing forum/section for past threads on this with a lot more details:
I agree and plan to start with what I've got. But I am definitely having trouble finding events that will let me attend with my convertible. But I can't quite stomach the idea of a (gag!) Camaro like this guy is suggesting lol

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
But I am definitely having trouble finding events that will let me attend with my convertible.
Yea, most if not all sanctioned racing bodies require a factory or acceptable after-market roll bars installed for convertibles.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I thought there was some exception for late model convertibles, not sure what is the cut-off date, but after a certain date I think the regulations required the windshield to be extra-strong to protect the occupants in the event of a roll-over . . . . if I remember correctly, my local SCCA Track Night in America people said that convertibles manufactured after that date are allowed, without a roll-bar . . . anyway I think it might be worth asking the question if you are interested

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Can't speak on SCCA, NASA is pretty blunt:
NASA’s High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) are a very safe way to learn how to handle your car and drive the line on the race track. These events are not designed to teach you how to race, there are other schools that will teach this. All you need to run a HPDE event is your car (in good condition) and a helmet. In a convertible, you will also need to have a roll bar. This roll bar must be strong enough to withstand the forces of compression involved in supporting the full weight of the car. A factory roll bar such as those found on a Honda S2000 may fulfill this requirement, but “style bars” or “show bars” found on some other cars would not work. (If you have a question about your car, call the NASA office.) Road racing with NASA requires a full cage (defined as 6 or more mounting points).

·
Registered
3 Posts
An acquaintance is trying to get me into "track day" driving. Since I've got an '08 GT convertible, I'm considering moving to a hardtop. If I'm going to move to a hardtop, I might as well consider moving into the Coyote platform. Yada, yada, yada... I start considering getting into a Boss 302 since it gets me more of a turnkey setup. THEN I start hearing from this acquaintance that he sees a lot of people with these cars and other Mustangs fighting overheating problems. I did some quick internet searching and I have uncovered some threads from when the Boss was newer about overheating and guys saying the "fix" is to remove the grill when they arrive at the track.

What says the good people here? Any experiences with overheating of the Coyote Mustangs? Under what conditions? Summary of troubleshooting and resolutions?

Thanks!
I track a 2013 Boss 302 LS, which has a Ford Racing radiator, and never have had an overheating issue. I push the car pretty hard on the track. Highest temperature I've seen is 230 degrees F on a 90 degree day. I'd recommend installing a Ford Racing or Kenny Brown Triple Pass radiator, and most likely any heating issues will go away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts