Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas to me! I was going to order a 16 but instead I just bought a 13 Boss with just 3200 miles. I'm a noobie about the Track key. I want to tune the car with a Steeda CAI but I'm curious about the Track Key tune. Can it be saved on the tuner? Which key would I use after Dyno tuning? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Whatever tune is on there will be saved as stock by the tuner. After tuning, it won't matter what key you use anymore.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
you cant use the Steeda CAI with the trackey. you will have to go with an aftermarket tune. when adding an aftermarket tune, The trackey tune will be kept on the vehicle, the stock tune will be saved onto the sct device. Meaning, if you have your aftermarket tune on the vehicle and stuck your trackey in, it will still recognized the trackey tune. So you will need to use a regular key for the aftermarket tune.

Like for me, i have a steeda tune for my 5.0 with boss intake and steeda CAI. But if i go out there right now with my trackey and turn it to the run position my car will say trackey on the dash but if i try to start it my car will probably blow up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Really not sure about this. Mid 13+, the ECUs changed to support dual path. This is why the late 13 and 14 cars can support Track CAL with a key whereas the other 13s can't.

The OE Track Key on the old Boss' really does jack **** other than up the engine braking and generated noises slightly. I think if you tune a single path ECU, the tuner will store a record of the active tune as stock but wipe the entire ECM and rewrite the tune and that's that. Correct me if I am wrong here.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Really not sure about this. Mid 13+, the ECUs changed to support dual path. This is why the late 13 and 14 cars can support Track CAL with a key whereas the other 13s can't.

The OE Track Key on the old Boss' really does jack **** other than up the engine braking and generated noises slightly. I think if you tune a single path ECU, the tuner will store a record of the active tune as stock but wipe the entire ECM and rewrite the tune and that's that. Correct me if I am wrong here.
i thought all boss 302's had dual path and only the late 14 5.0's had dual path. That would allow all boss owners to have two different keys without going back and forth to the dealer to change tunes.

thats just what i think, it makes sense to me

Just looked at the boss 2012-2013 intall guide for the trackey. It looks like they both have dual path.

·
2,801 Posts
Once you install an aftermarket part like the Steeda CAI that requires an aftermarket tune, the red key can no longer safely be used as it is a separate tune than what the aftermarket tune is.

Track key is more for people that want a stock car that is more bark than bite. From my understand the track key is a grey area for car health as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Got it....

The mid 13 GT cars got dual path at some point too but, it depends on manufacture date, I think. This is discussed with reference to the new Track Cal setup.

Absolutely right on the idea that you can't run a tune required CAI on a car not tuned for it. Does Steeda sell and insert version? The factory CAI too my last 5.0 into the 11s on the Procal tune so, I wasn't in a hurry to change it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Got it....

The mid 13 GT cars got dual path at some point too but, it depends on manufacture date, I think. This is discussed with reference to the new Track Cal setup.

Absolutely right on the idea that you can't run a tune required CAI on a car not tuned for it. Does Steeda sell and insert version? The factory CAI too my last 5.0 into the 11s on the Procal tune so, I wasn't in a hurry to change it.
yea the insert is like $89

no point in getting the $$$$ steeda if your gunna use the insert tho

its my understanding that the only ones with dula path are the ones that can use two different keys. So only the 2012, 2013 boss's and the 2014.5 track packs. I believe the lopey idle need 5w50 in order to function correctly. The track cal (once installed) acts like an aftermarket tune. It replaces the stock tune therefore it does not have or need a dual path since it always activated by any key.

but then again i think your right that something changed in the 2013 5.0's that allow them to have the track cal stuff. i just dont think its the dual path thingy. Maybe just an updated single path ecu thingy. If they had dual path there would be no reason why they couldnt have the trackey

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda figured my question would be a lil tricky. So if I'm understanding correctly, I'll need to tune my car with the regular key. The track tune stays on the car but I can no longer safely use the track key? I had the Steeda CAI on my Track Pack 13 and loved it. I'm just trying to make sure I can go back to my stock CAI and Track Tune if I want to in the future. Thanks for the input guys. I know owning the Boss will be a new learning experience.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
One thing is for sure: You put a real tune on there from a reputable tuner and you'll never want the Ford factory crap on there ever again.

Most can do all the funkadelic stuff like lope idle, if you want that....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pro Dyno will be doing my tune. Just want to make sure to save the track key for the future. Just in case.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Pro Dyno will be doing my tune. Just want to make sure to save the track key for the future. Just in case.
i mean all i can say is that i have a steeda tune on my car and my trackey is still programmed to the car and is able to turn the car on if i wanted. Really i dont even want to go back to the trackey after installing the boss 302 manifold and steeda cai. I liked the idea of the lopey idle more than i actually liked it.. It wasnt very lopey and i really dont think it was good for the motor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can any of y'all that are running the trackkey on a '14 GT provide any reviews of how it changed the car? It seems like a cool mod but from what I'm reading here it might be just a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Can any of y'all that are running the trackkey on a '14 GT provide any reviews of how it changed the car? It seems like a cool mod but from what I'm reading here it might be just a waste of money.
If your going to keep your car stock and want to keep your warranty without worry then trackey is awesome. It drives so much better than stock. But as soo as you want a cold air intake or longtubes or something that needs an aftermarket tune then youve wasted your money on it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The calibration is essentially the former Procal tune, with cool add ons and the Procal's unmatched warranty protection. I ran the Procal on my 12 and you can see the results of my full weight fully loaded car on a slick tire with that tune in my sig.

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
If your going to keep your car stock and want to keep your warranty without worry then trackey is awesome. It drives so much better than stock. But as soo as you want a cold air intake or longtubes or something that needs an aftermarket tune then youve wasted your money on it.
My local Ford Dealer told me that use of the track key instantly voids the PT warranty.

Was that misinformation?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts