Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that Ford Racing Parts has posted the Boss 302R/S Rotor rings and hats (M-1125-J and M-1125-H). I've been planning to have dedicated track day rotors and pads, so I don't care about noise or other street use issues. I'm only wondering if these will fit. Are the spindles and hardware for the Boss 302R the same as production or will I have fitment issues? I have the production Brembo brake calipers and brake cooling ducts, and I'm hoping to keep those for the time being. My back up plan is DBA 5000s front and 4000s rear.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is a great question. I guess a place to start will be the diameter difference. If there is no difference at all, then it should be a straight across trade. If the Ford Racing rotors are larger, then you will need brackets to make them fit.

Something that I recently have learned is that the Ford Racing master cylinder carries a larger bore so there is more fluid for easier foot pedal pressure and quicker response.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll have to call. There are no dimensions on the website. My initial guess is that they'd be the same size. If they were any bigger, clearance would (I think) be an issue since the 302R only has 18" wheels versus 19" on the 302S.

I do need a firmer pedal too, so that big bore MC would be nice. In the first race car I designed in college, I didn't know enough about brakes. I used the smallest MCs available to save weight and make the front box of the frame (open wheel car) as small as possible. Boy did I pay for it on pedal travel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something that I recently have learned is that the Ford Racing master cylinder carries a larger bore so there is more fluid for easier foot pedal pressure and quicker response.
Would a switch to the larger MC mess up the ABS? I would think so, but if not, I'd love to do that. Doing that switch on my other car right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw that Ford Racing Parts has posted the Boss 302R/S Rotor rings and hats (M-1125-J and M-1125-H). I've been planning to have dedicated track day rotors and pads, so I don't care about noise or other street use issues. I'm only wondering if these will fit. Are the spindles and hardware for the Boss 302R the same as production or will I have fitment issues? I have the production Brembo brake calipers and brake cooling ducts, and I'm hoping to keep those for the time being. My back up plan is DBA 5000s front and 4000s rear.

Thanks for your help.

There is a significant difference in the Boss 302S/R rotor/hat set up compared to the GT500 or 2011+ Brembo brake package rotors. 15mm off-set to be exact. 45mm for the production cars and 60mm for the Boss 302S/R. This is because of the Brembo 'Racing' caliper that comes on the S/R cars.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Actually a larger master cylinder makes the pedal pressure higher not lower or easier. On race cars knock back is often a problem and a larger master recovers from knock back faster. A larger cylinder which requires more pressure is easier to modulate as it is easier to push harder or softer when the harder part is really hard and not just a little hard. Sorry hard to explain but easy to feel if you have ever done it. Kind of like lifting a one pound weight and two pound weight you can tell them apart but they are close but lifting a five pound weight and ten pound weight feels like a huge difference even though both larger weights were only double the smaller weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts