Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone out there has tried fitting their OE Grille fogs into the Boss302s grille. I love the look of the boss grille and the mesh covers but I don't want to get rid of my fogs. Anybody done this? or no someone who has?

·
Registered
272 Posts
late model restoration did it and made a thread on it. i found it when i too made a thread with this same question. wasn't the wow i wanted so i passed, but it's a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just curious if anyone out there has tried fitting their OE Grille fogs into the Boss302s grille.
Since your sig line indicates you own a 2010 Mustang, I presume you're talking about pre-2013 cars. On the 2013s, doing this is easy (see LMR blog entry referenced by M3 Killa). On the 2010-12s, not so much.

I want the same look as you, so I bought a 2012 Boss 302 grille on eBay, thinking it would be a fairly easy matter to open up the dummy holes to accept the stock GT fogs. Wrong.

First, the entire Boss grille is a single piece of molded plastic. The dummy opening "covers" are not separate pieces like they are on the 2013 version. Second,the Boss's dummy openings are deeper, more tapered, and smaller in diameter than the GT's real openings. Third, the GT's grille has mounting points for the fogs on its back side; on the Boss 302 grille, these are not there. So the job is going to require some delicate surgery to open up the holes, and then some fabrication to get the necessary mounting points on either the back side of the grille or the car structure immediately behind the grille.

So, I've not yet done it, because I've not figured out exactly HOW to do it. But neither have I given up.

Lastly, the version of the 2012 Boss 302 grille that has mesh over the openings instead of the solid plates like mine MIGHT make the job easier, but I've not looked into that. This version of the grille did not become available until after I'd already bought mine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I knew LMR did it with the 13's. And I also knew about the 12's being a solid piece. Thats why I was curious about the Boss 302S grille. the fog housing is open on those and just has a wire mesh in place so air can flow through. I was just curious if the fogs would be able to mount to the back.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/...19461159-random-pics-your-boss-302-grille.jpg a shot of the 302 and the 302s grille together.

A shot of the backside of the 302S grille. Just curious how hard it would be to make the brackets fit.
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad21/duffinator1/Mustang/Boss302grillemodification.jpg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sorry, I misread the "302s" in your OP as "302's".

First of all, in the pic of the two grilles together, why does the S version appear so much bigger? Is that a trick of the camera perspective?

Re: the brackets, from what I've been able to see (because I've not taken my car's grille apart), the mounting points for the fogs are molded as part of the grille. That would be the tough part ... they're not separate pieces that could be unbolted and attached to the Boss grille with bolts or screws. I think it would have to be done with adhesive such as epoxy. Stock grilles can be bought cheaply; I will likely buy one and see if it can be used as a donor (I don't want to hack up my stock grille, in case I ever want to reverse the mod).

The S version of the grille DOES look like it would be easier to work with. From what I can see, cutting out the openings in my regular Boss grille would be the hard part.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had my grille and fogs out many times. I have no problem taking it off again and posting pics of the fog mounts for you guys if it'll help solve this issue lol. The first time I had them off I was tinting the fogs with vinyl and it looked like hell so the last time I did it I just painted them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
So LMR has done the boss grill swap with fogs on their 2013.

Link please?

--------------------------

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts