Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Car Show on Sunday and I was talking to a Guy that had installed a Boss 302 Intake on his 2014 GT.
He had me nearly convinced to get one for my GT. So, I am seriously considering getting one.
Hoping to get some feedback from anyone on this Forum that has the Boss intake installed on their GT and give their opinion on it.
Thanks in advance for your comments!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I was at a Car Show on Sunday and I was talking to a Guy that had installed a Boss 302 Intake on his 2014 GT.
He had me nearly convinced to get one for my GT. So, I am seriously considering getting one.
Hoping to get some feedback from anyone on this Forum that has the Boss intake installed on their GT and give their opinion on it.
IF you use the search feature, then you will find what your looking for alot quicker.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
What is your motivation for getting one? What are you doing with your car?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Good if you're drag racing and living above 5500 RPM. Bad otherwise.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Good if you're drag racing and living above 5500 RPM. Bad otherwise.
Exactly. Nothing has changed. Long runner manifolds always made more power and torque at lower rpm. Short runner designs give up low rpm power and torque to gain high rpm power and torque.
And the Boss manifold is a short runner design.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They look cooler too lol. It's like these guys said you lose quite a bit of Torq down low but gain hp way up the rpm band. You'll have to rev your car harder too

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your motivation for getting one? What are you doing with your car?
This is my daily driver. I do not track the car. I just like the way it looks and the added power on hand. But maybe overkill for my use?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The Boss 302 has 10 lbs-ft less torque than the GT. That's a big difference especially for street driving.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The Boss 302 has 10 lbs-ft less torque than the GT. That's a big difference especially for street driving.
and that's just a peak number. The low/mid range on the torque curve is even worse

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This is my daily driver. I do not track the car. I just like the way it looks and the added power on hand. But maybe overkill for my use?
Yeah spend the $400 or whatever they are now on something else

EDIT. For your mustang obviously

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah spend the $400 or whatever they are now on something else

EDIT. For your mustang obviously
Good advise. I think I will choose something else and think about it a lot more.
Maybe an H Pipe would be cool with my GT500 Axle backs

·
Registered
525 Posts
You have an auto correct? A torque converter will transform your car in a big way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
aren't torque converters for these 2-3 times more expensive than the BOSS intake?

·
Registered
525 Posts
A converter costs $1150 but makes a huge difference. More so than any bolt on parts COMBINED. I picked up a half second with mine.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A converter costs $1150 but makes a huge difference. More so than any bolt on parts COMBINED. I picked up a half second with mine.
How does it drive in a normal situation? Does it affect gas mileage a lot?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It drives normal until you mash the gas pedal. Then when you hit the gas it will feel like you added 50 horsepower. Gas mileage will suffer a little but like any go fast part will be dependent on throttle control.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Man this boss intake stuff is just crazy. I have been considering this for a long time. But I am really on the fence about it. Some say you are better off with the factory man. & some say the boss is great. Let me say this I have a 3.73 car & I am willing to take the engine to the 7300-7400 range. With the 3.73's any kind of spirited driving involves being in the 4k range & above anyway. So i do not see that a slight loss in low end tq is going to cause any performance issues. That being said would a boss intake benefit me? Also while i do realize that the boss engine has somewhat better heads & cams & the bottom end is better than the coyote, I have never heard of a boss owner installing a coyote intake in search of more low end power. I am almost ready to take the plunge just to see for myself. I guess I could always sell it if I do not like it. Funny though I so not see very many for sale used, maybe that is saying something also. Would like to hear more impressions from guys that have actually done the swap. Lastly, they are damn good looking!

·
Registered
46 Posts
To the OP - I was in the same spot as I wanted more power, but, was torn between the Boss Manifold and the CJ Manifold.

I decided to spend a bit more with the CJ Manifold for a few reasons.

I personally think it suits a regular 5.0 better since it is not a boss and it looks better.

The CJ makes similar/more power up top, through the mid-range and does not need to be revved to 7,500 RPM to make peak power. I make nearly peak power @ 7K and make a bit more higher up.

With a Ported CJ manifold, Cat-Deletes, Mufflers, Tune and a TB/Intake, my car makes 438/376. Most Boss manifold cars are putting down less power and need to rev much higher.

I've also seen CJ setup cars go faster down a track by 1-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH more.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Boss Intake works provided you have the supporting mods and good tuner.

And the CJ Intake is a lot more and I've not seen it prove to be any better than the Boss Intake.

The fastest cars N/A still run the Boss Intake so keep that in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts